• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

only about 3,000 at Toa Payoh Stadium, tjs may lose his deposit

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Mr Tan Jee Say was the first presidential candidate to hold a rally.

About nine speakers addressed the crowd at the Toa Payoh Stadium before Mr Tan took to the stage on Tuesday.

They included some opposition candidates who stood in the last General Election such as Dr Vincent Wijeysingha, Dr Ang Yong Guan, Jeannette Chong-Aruldoss and Nicole Seah.

Mr Tan defended the line-up of speakers for his rally, saying some may be members of opposition parties but they were speaking on behalf of all Singaporeans.

Mr Tan spoke on what he thought the role of the President should be and said that for too long, Singaporeans have been accustomed to the idea that the President has a limited ceremonial and diplomatic role.

Mr Tan highlighted the five areas the President has veto powers under the Constitution. He paid particular attention to the use of the nation's reserves and key appointments.

He said: "This is your money and if the government requires it I as President will make sure that it is well spent on meaningful projects that benefit Singaporeans directly such as schools and hospitals.

"On key appointments, I will scrutinise the background and track record of all government appointees who come before me for confirmation.

"I will ensure that only true talented Singaporeans are appointed (and) who are motivated by a sense of public service and not by huge financial rewards."

He added that he will examine more closely appointments to government bodies, statutory boards and government-linked companies because "too few people are holding too many portfolios within the government."

If elected, Mr Tan said he would also publish an annual report detailing the custodial, ceremonial and social responsibilities performed by the President during the year.

He noted that Singaporeans are "thirsting for change" and that he intends to "ask the government to do more".

Mr Tan said: "This government needs to be challenged and checked, if we do not want it to become complacent.

"First, I intend to change the direction of the Presidency to move it much closer to the aspiration of the people.

"To do that, I cannot remain within the ivory gates of the Istana. I must move among the people and initiate programmes that galvanise the young and the young at heart and harness their energies to build a better Singapore."

Mr Tan ended the rally with a talkshow format question-and-answer session, where he spoke about his early years and experience in the public and private sectors.

- CNA/ir

Barry ho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pretty sure there were more than 3000 the MC there said 30,000 I know that one half the field wasn't really filled up

here are some shots of the packed half.

no0120110823185915.jpg
[/URL]

By this time the seats were almost full

no0320110823191317.th.jpg
[/URL]

no0420110823192409.jpg
[/URL]

no0520110823192706.jpg
[/URL]

no0620110823193353.jpg
[/URL]

no0720110823194210.jpg
[/URL]

crowd didn't really start coming until 7:00pm

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bullshit. I was there, about 25,000 to 30,000 at its peak (about 9 pm).

MediaCorp avoid showing footage of 30,000 strong crowd at Tan Jee Say’s rally

307428_10150346684175783_190806675782_10053700_6696258_n.jpg

According to the Emcee for the night, the attendance at pro-Singaporean presidential candidate Tan Jee Say’s President Election Rally was about 30,000, however MediaCorp avoided showing the footage of the crowd on TV and instead screened a 10 second speech of Nicole Seah before abruptly cutting it.

The Straits Times quoted a figure of 8,000 which is a far cry from the 20,000 estimated by ustream TV:

“The first rally of the 2011 Presidential Election attracted an estimated 8,000-strong crowd, which turned up at Toa Payoh Stadium on Tuesday night to listen to candidate Tan Jee Say and his supporters.”

One participant remarked that it was so packed at Toa Payoh Stadium that there was hardly any space for him to walk when the rally ended:

Another Singaporean Eugene Koo who turned up to support Mr Tan said:

“I just came back from Toa Payoh. It looked as if Malaysia Cup re-Final, probably more than 35000! Bloody TCS News don’t dare to show wide screen! Only closed up 50-60 ppls…”

Mr Tan Jee Say spoke for one hour on the reasons behind him contesting the President Election and the role he sees himself playing if elected. The other guest speakers include popular young politician Nicole Seah, Infectious Disease Consultant Professor Paul Ananth Tambyah and lawyer Mr Basil Hwang.

The size of the crowd was similar to the Workers Party’s last rally at Hougang Stadium during the May election which saw it eventually capturing Aljunied GRC by a comfortable margin.

With support from the PAP camp split right down the middle between Dr Tony Tan and Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Mr Tan Jee Say stands a fighting chance of securing an upset on 27 August 2011 so long non-PAP supporters unite behind him solidly.

As the older generation of Singaporeans are more familiar with Dr Tony Tan and Dr Tan Cheng Bock, they may be inclined to support them.

We urge all our readers to do their part to persuade their parents, grandparents, relatives and friends to vote for a pro-Singaporean candidate who will serve our interests (and not the foreigners) so that we can walk hand in hand with him to the gates of the Istana this coming Saturday.

Barry ho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me try with photo bucket this time

2011-08-23190318wheelchair.jpg

No01-2011-08-23185915.jpg

No02-2011-08-23190413.jpg

No01-2011-08-23185915.jpg

No04-2011-08-23192409.jpg

No06-2011-08-23193353.jpg

No07-2011-08-23194210.jpg

After this point my phone went out of battery the rest of the green space in the picture was filled though