• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Only a software glitch - train collision

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is sad to note that the mrt system has become so dangerous. To make matter worse the authorities are coming out with nonsenses to confuse.

I only have 2 questions :
1 What are the roles of the control staff and the drivers?
2. What is the sop when there is fault in one of the trains on the track?

Layman like me would assume that when there is a faulty train, control must verbally inform all drivers and receive acknowledgement from them and update them on the situation ( even though there are already display on the train's control panel)

Drivers must be on alert to override the signal system if the need arises.

From the info given so far, it is clear that the driver of the 2nd train basically just sit there and let electronics take control. The signaling system is to help the diver in keeping the minimum safe distance between trains so as to maximise the number of trains on the track. The driver has a pair of eyes to respond to emergency when the system failed.

Last edited:

pakchewcheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is sad to note that the mrt system has become so dangerous. To make matter worse the authorities are coming out with nonsenses to confuse.

I only have 2 questions :
1 What are the roles of the control staff and the drivers?
2. What is the sop when there is fault in one of the trains on the track?

Layman like me would assume that when there is a faulty train, control must verbally inform all drivers and receive acknowledgement from them and update them on the situation ( even though there are already display on the train's control panel)

Drivers must be on alert to override the signal system if the need arises.

From the info given so far, it is clear that the driver of the 2nd train basically just sit there and let electronics take control. The signaling system is to help the diver in keeping the minimum safe distance between trains so as to maximise the number of trains on the track. The driver has a pair of eyes to respond to emergency when the system failed.

What?

You dunno? or dunno how to read?

It is the driver! No less than the rear train driver not rear admiral.
Must give him jiaklak jiaklak!
Rotan 100 strokes also not enuff!

Top management squeaky clean and office kopiahsoh also clean this time!
Extra bonus for CEO and his top team for catching the goat to scape so fast this time!

Move on!
To the Greater Good!

Goat orledi found and will be scaped in public very very soon!

All is well again!

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are 2 noteworthy fact from the reports :

1. The signal system has changed from 'fixed block' to 'moving block'.

2. The 2nd train stopped at first but the system moved it 1 minute later.

First let's understand the difference between fixed block and moving block signal systems.

For fixed block, the entire track is divided into fixed segments. Once there is a train in a segment, the system will not allow another train to enter that segment.

For moving block, each train with safety distance added to the front and rear is recognized as a block. The system will ensure that the 'block' of rear train will not enter the 'block' of the train in front.

For fixed block, the length of the train is not important because each block is a fixed segment of the track. For moving block, the length of each block is the length of each train plus the front and rear safety distance.

There are different ways for the train to send signal to units mounted on the track to identify itself and its location. We can view it like the IU in our car. The signal front from first train car and the last train car will tell the system, the length of the train and set the 'moving block' for that train accordingly.

The fact that the 2nd train at first stopped within the safety distance showed that the moving block of the 1st train is correct. However, the 2nd train moves are 1 minute, showing that the moving block of the front train has "SHORTENED", so the system automatically move the rear train forward.

Why? Haha think about it.

It is not drivers fault. Something is not right with the procedure.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All passengers travelling on trains must be belted by end of 2018, both standing & seating. Installation of belts will commence with immediately.
I have to say I've read some of the most creative excuses that any management has ever come up with.

Had I been armed with this special edition of "Excuses 101" during my MNC days I would have reached the top echelons a lot faster. Unfortunately my progress was stalled by mistakes made by my production operators which proved very costly for me.

I tried to explain to my boss that the operators came from a poor gene pool and that their culture encouraged them to relax and not take life or work too seriously but the explanation was rejected outright. I was their manager so I was to blame.

With hindsight I should have blamed the software, the equipment and the environment and I would have got away scott free. The PAP has taught me a valuable lesson which I'm not about to forget in a hurry.

You can ask for a copy of PAP 101...just visit their website www.pap.org.sg , password is "member" & log in....request for a copy, always learn from the best, with that PAP 101, you can survive even at the restaurant at the edge of the universe...or anywhere in the universe. You spaceship stall..blame the software, the engineers...the... ask for a copy today!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are 2 noteworthy fact from the reports :

1. The signal system has changed from 'fixed block' to 'moving block'.

2. The 2nd train stopped at first but the system moved it 1 minute later.

First let's understand the difference between fixed block and moving block signal systems.

For fixed block, the entire track is divided into fixed segments. Once there is a train in a segment, the system will not allow another train to enter that segment.

For moving block, each train with safety distance added to the front and rear is recognized as a block. The system will ensure that the 'block' of rear train will not enter the 'block' of the train in front.

For fixed block, the length of the train is not important because each block is a fixed segment of the track. For moving block, the length of each block is the length of each train plus the front and rear safety distance.

There are different ways for the train to send signal to units mounted on the track to identify itself and its location. We can view it like the IU in our car. The signal front from first train car and the last train car will tell the system, the length of the train and set the 'moving block' for that train accordingly.

The fact that the 2nd train at first stopped within the safety distance showed that the moving block of the 1st train is correct. However, the 2nd train moves are 1 minute, showing that the moving block of the front train has "SHORTENED", so the system automatically move the rear train forward.

Why? Haha think about it.

It is not drivers fault. Something is not right with the procedure.

It is the BLOCK head that voted or these people to run the country, & run the train system...it is those BLOCKS that are faulty. Wonder, what will they blame next? other than god.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
desmond-kuek-missing.jpg

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Not WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE?, or those who turn him in gets a free rides on all public transportation in Singapore, all train lines, bus services & even free ridership on OfO bikes...they will be a mad scramble.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also noted that SMRT was not leading in reporting this incident. Instead it is cow and his team providing info. My guess is that the fault does not lie with SMRT but with the one who set out the procedure for the new signal system or whoever that gave instruction to the drivers. Smrt might be thanking karma.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't wait for the day MRT trains collide in the tunnels, causing major huge explosion bringing down high rise flats/buildings/shopping complexes etc. Singapore is ready for this with all their terrorist mass casualty training.

Except the actual event will have nothing to do with terrorists. But SMRT.

Who knows maybe ISIS has infiltrated SMRT. "inadvertent". LOL!!!!!

"I hope your mother sister brother father son daughter grandma and grandpa are riding that train when it happens."

Such a dumb thing to hope for right?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I hope your mother sister brother father son daughter grandma and grandpa are riding that train when it happens."

Such a dumb thing to hope for right?

We don't usually wish for such things to happen, but, with the current situation & many of us take the trains daily, whether it is for business, work, or pleasure; confidence is really shaken. At one time, I used to frequent the Joo Koon Station, when it stopped there only, I have work, around that area. So, it is feeling rather jittery, when taking the MRT these days.

Maybe they should have Cow$8 in saffron robes...blessing the stations every morning for a year... ha ha ha ha

Anyway...wish us all luck, when we use the train systems...cross your fingers each day.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too commute on the train with my family on our car-lite days. I honestly worry for the safety of my family now on these outings.

I will be going car-heavy in light of the accidents.

Yes, I hope and pray for the safety of all commuters, especially those without the option of other modes of travel.

We don't usually wish for such things to happen, but, with the current situation & many of us take the trains daily, whether it is for business, work, or pleasure; confidence is really shaken. At one time, I used to frequent the Joo Koon Station, when it stopped there only, I have work, around that area. So, it is feeling rather jittery, when taking the MRT these days.

Maybe they should have Cow$8 in saffron robes...blessing the stations every morning for a year... ha ha ha ha

Anyway...wish us all luck, when we use the train systems...cross your fingers each day.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's the odds of next mishap? Sg Pools to get on the act. Or for that matter, that top of the heap bloke? :rolleyes:

IMG_1408.jpg

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say software glitch is a very useful term to use. it is leegal and magical. eg when cpf or reserves is empty can be software glitch - now you see it now you don't - magic ! yeah !

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
my uncle say software glitch is a very useful term to use. it is leegal and magical. eg when cpf or reserves is empty can be software glitch - now you see it now you don't - magic ! yeah !

Incarcerate the white bastards while we can!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The word "inadvertently" disabled the anti-collision feature it means as a result of an human action.

Firstly Khaw said that software glitch in his first contact with the press after the collision. Thales the signalling vendor said it never ever happened to them. They then came back and said ev very was working.

A few hours later at SMRT said it the feature was "inadvertently" disabled and said it was a second car train driver. Shortly after that human error was mentioned. The next day the human element was gone from all press articles.

These are serious of cover-ups. So now Singaporeans are unsure if it indeed a software glitch, the new signalling issues etc.

Human error is no longer tolerated. So they took it out.