• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Occum's Razor

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Occum's Razor is a rule of thumb of logical reasoning.

It urges people to go for the simplest solution, avoid making too many (unfounded) assumptions and not to build assumptions upon assumptions.

Example:

I go home and discover that my front door has been pried open. My brand new TV is missing. What is more plausible?

1) Someone stole my TV
2) Aliens from Mars borrowed my TV to study Earth's HD technology.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only learn about Occum's Razor in Dilbert. But I prefer to say 'don't complicate things', like that no need to explain Occum's Razor, or Bottom's Comb, even Boredom's Vibrator. :biggrin:

potato29

Alfrescian
Loyal
Occum's Razor is a rule of thumb of logical reasoning.

It urges people to go for the simplest solution, avoid making too many (unfounded) assumptions and not to build assumptions upon assumptions.

Example:

I go home and discover that my front door has been pried open. My brand new TV is missing. What is more plausible?

1) Someone stole my TV

4) the new TV pried open the door and escape?

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
4) the new TV pried open the door and escape?

I had that exact same thought, but then it occurred to me that it can also be possible that the neighbors TV drop by and called out to the new TV to play, but found the door locked, so it pried open the door and the 2 TV went to play on the swing.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I go home and discover that my front door has been pried open. My brand new TV is missing. What is more plausible?

1) Someone stole my TV
there was no new tv in ur haus in ze 1st place! ...

u tot u bot dat new tv ... but actually, after making detailed calculations, u ended up din buy it ...