• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Nutrition Advice] Carbohydrate replacement

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thinking of restricting carb intake to just a serving of bananas and EITHER one bowl of brown rice OR two slices of whole wheat bread each day.

Good idea? Any drawbacks. Even on those days where I reduced carb and protein intake, exercise stamina unchanged. Still managed to do treadmill followed by 1.5km sprint. In fact, felt even more energetic.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did you know that Spore has the 2nd highest rate of diabetes:eek:
The US is number 1. The culprit is because we eat too much rice & we are now more sedentary.

Good idea to look at diversifying ones diet to include pulses e.g. beans, lentils, peas,.. Pulses are nutritious.

Happyhour

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking of restricting carb intake to just a serving of bananas and EITHER one bowl of brown rice OR two slices of whole wheat bread each day.

Good idea? Any drawbacks. Even on those days where I reduced carb and protein intake, exercise stamina unchanged. Still managed to do treadmill followed by 1.5km sprint. In fact, felt even more energetic.

I too restricted my carb and refined sugar intake recently and the results have been very encouraging. I dropped almost 10 kg in these last 3 months and apart from feeling lighter and better, my energy levels appear to have been naturally boosted.

Go for it , and maybe even look into eating gluten- free food.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

eat soy based products as carbo replacement, tau fu is ideal.
But then, the guy who came up with the dangers of carbohydrate died young.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a wise decision to be conscious about our diets. Cutting carbs is a good idea too, we have too much of it. However, our diet should be geared towards our health needs, lifestyle, etc. Most of us have desk jobs, drive to work or most other places, have low physical activities, so going low on carbs makes sense. I however have an associate who is big time into cycling, his lifestyle requires him to load up on carbs especially just before those weekends of "marathon" cycling, otherwise, according to him, he won't have the energy to sustain and last the trips. Myself, just have to go slow on the beers, increase my fibre intake, cut the salt and sugar, less red meats. I love good food, and in it difficult to resist them. From this viewpoint, life is good.

Cheers!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..restricting carb intake to just a serving of bananas and EITHER one bowl of brown rice OR two slices of whole wheat bread each day. Any drawbacks.
Sensible to cut carbs. Been on brown rice at home for years now, overcame and gotten used to texture.
Bananas are nutritious, but gives you a sugar spike

banana.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The problem with soy is that it is probably genetically modified. A lot of problems are linked to gm products.

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I too restricted my carb and refined sugar intake recently and the results have been very encouraging. I dropped almost 10 kg in these last 3 months and apart from feeling lighter and better, my energy levels appear to have been naturally boosted.

Well done! Keep it up. I am restricting my intake of meat and fats. Results have been very positive. Feel better overall

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Soya based product is not that healthy.. Should not be used a s a replacement.. Nuts and seed should be the replacement..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sensible to cut carbs. Been on brown rice at home for years now, overcame and gotten used to texture.
Bananas are nutritious, but gives you a sugar spike

banana.jpg
Plant based sugar is different form processed sugar.. Plant based ones are ok for your body.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Restricting carbs is good. However, do remember that the body still need a source of energy. Our body's defence system, organs and even body temperature needs energy to function. Hence, cut is good but have to be very clear on how much is needed. You also need to consider if you are also cutting fats. If cut both to too low, you are actually starving yourself to death.

Cutting protein is not a good idea. Try to work on a classic 4.4.2 diet plan, where 40% comes from protein, 40% from carbs and 20% from fats. For carbs, focus towards more complex carbs. Save the simple carbs to pre workout and 1 hr after workout because of the insulin spike in your body.

However, 4.4.2 is just a guide. Different person has slightly different metabolic rate. Make 500kcal adjustments up or down to refine the plan further. Work on a 3.5k weekly caloric deficit to see half kg drop. In the meantime, while you are on caloric deficit, go very heavy on your workouts. This is because you may time you makan timing wrongly and there will be situations where the body starves and breakdown muscles for energy. As time passes, muscular mass shrinks and metabolic drops, cause further yo-yo in your weight.

Lastly, remember to record everything you eat. This will keep you in perspective. Try apps like Fitness Pal. Don't listen to those people who gives your anecdotes on how they lost weight becuase their plans may be not sustainable in the long run.

Edit: forgot to add that if you want to train heavy, just focus on core compound exercise (Bench, Deadlifts and Squats). Dont waste time on all the fancy stuff you read. Go basic.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how can a chink live without rice?i absolutely cannot fathom an existence without rice.no matter what dish u are eating,sweet sour spicy or salty,rice acts as a counterbalance to all flavors,it is the ying and yang of all life,the taste and texture,nothing is complete without it.chinks have been eating rice for thousands of years,it is burned into our dna,it has influenced the very building blocks of our genome sequence of our existence,it is permanently etched into our brain chemistry.eating rice invokes countless and countless upon generations of emotions of feelings of our ancestors that flows thru our blood,somewhere in our brains,the same synapses,the same brain cells are firing as our ancestors as we taste the soft,sweet,glutinuous texture of rice,it is a memory as old as the sands of time.rice makes us who we are.to deny rice is to deny who you are.

Last edited:

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros , anyone know the name and origin of the Brown Bananas ( pic below ) ?

why is it more expensive than others ? Is it the most expensive in the market ? Thanks.:p:p:p

bananatipos.jpg

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rice is just one of our sources for starch, or carbohydrates. This part of the world, it has become our staple and we have it at almost every meal. So we've grown accustomed to it. Switching our carbohydrate base to some other source is all in the mind. Wheat, tapioca (or cassava), potatoes, are all common sources as well. Because rice is our staple here, other dishes at meals are cooked as complimentary to steamed rice. We can live on other sources, but have become so accustomed to rice that many find it difficult to adapt to a diet with starch from potatoes or other source. But we can if we want to. Or are forced to - like our grandparents during WW2, they had to live tapioca, because the occupying Japanese army took away all their rice(s).

Cheers!

how can a chink live without rice?i absolutely cannot fathom an existence without rice.no matter what dish u are eating,sweet sour spicy or salty,rice acts as a counterbalance to all flavors,it is the ying and yang of all life,the taste and texture,nothing is complete without it.chinks have been eating rice for thousands of years,it is burned into our dna,it has influenced the very building blocks of our genome sequence of our existence,it is permanently etched into our brain chemistry.eating rice invokes countless and countless upon generations of emotions of feelings of our ancestors that flows thru our blood,somewhere in our brains,the same synapses,the same brain cells are firing as our ancestors as we taste the soft,sweet,glutinuous texture of rice,it is a memory as old as the sands of time.rice makes us who we are.to deny rice is to deny who you are.

ChineseDog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good job my fellow chinese dog we chinks are genetically predisposed to eat rice all the time.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
rice-on-a-wooden-table.jpg

Rice 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Effects

One of the oldest cereal grains, rice (Oryza sativa) is believed to have been grown for at least 5000 years.

It is a staple food for more than half of the world’s population, particularly those living in southern and eastern Asia.

White rice is the most commonly consumed type, but brown (whole grain) rice is becoming increasingly popular in some Western countries due to its health benefits.

http://authoritynutrition.com/foods/rice/

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are diabetic, it is healthier to consume multi grain rice. NTUC sells the Greenmax brand from Taiwan which contains grains of Brown Rice, Oat, Sorghum Rice, Buckwheat, Wheat, Barley, Millet, Adlay, Pearl Rice, Black Glutinous Rice, Gordon Euryale Seeds.

It's not bad & costs $11.70 per bag.