• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSP to adopt “minister-specific” strategy in next elections

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do agree, just trying to encourage the opposition not to lose hope. Why you think the old man took out the "evil" marxist conspiracy gang - too many lawyers, a Harvard man, members of an established and respected church groups etc. Why you think a Minister called members of AWARE exec-co and frightened the daylights out of them over certainly policy issues nearly 2 decades ago. Same reason for sending Kishore, Tommy and Heng Chee to watch grid iron football.

Dear Scroobal and Perspective

Honestly " Professional Qualifications" cannot be ignored. It is a requirement, however one should never get into an academic equivalent of a my penis is bigger then ur penis kindergarden comparison exercise with the PAP.

The other attributes matter a lot more but some educational attributes must serve as a base.

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is bro.

There are however few places reserved for non-professionals to fend off strong PAP factions among the cadre ranks. Case in point is MP Yeo Guat Kwang who is just a chinese teacher but he is a member of the powerful Chinese Teachers faction within the PAP. In the past they people like MK Jabbar who can't even string a proper sentence or a logic argument. The other factions are the unions. SPH does not have a faction but the PAP conventional is to blood them anyway so that their hands are dirty as well. 2 seats, 1 for English and 1 for Chinese language is kept for them.

With the Malay revolt in 2000 by AMP and the discrediting of the then PAP Malay MPs, the PAP has been scrapping the bottom of barrel for their Malay MPs. There is no longer a malay factional group within the PAP that can even influence a feather to move. A Malay community cartel of Malay professionals now makes the move. Essentially as part of the 2000/1 settlement, the Malay interest caretaking role is now outsourced to this group. The deal also includes the running of MUIS.

These non professionals within the PAP MP rank are however few.

Fair enough.

No wonder Jabbar was dropped after a term.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal and Perspective

Honestly " Professional Qualifications" cannot be ignored. It is a requirement, however one should never get into an academic equivalent of a my penis is bigger then ur penis kindergarden comparison exercise with the PAP.

The other attributes matter a lot more but some educational attributes must serve as a base.

Locke

I would say the opposition needs to have diversity. After all Os and Ns still make up 25% of Singapore population and will in years to come. Diplomas are even higher. I can't figure how they can't be convinced not to vote for the PAP GRCs teams that are 100% degrees. After all, why get a slate of MPs who are not your league. You are not voting for the best student award.

The opp had about a good 70% graduates, 20% diplomas and 10% certs the last time. That's slightly above the real reflection of the society. I agree with Scro on don't let PAP set the agenda that all needs degrees. Sell the PAP as an elite that lacks diversity.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great angle. Thats a good approach that voters will buy. Interestingly old man used the same approach when Jabaar was standing for elections.

In fact it is truer reflection of society being represented across the spectrum. Such a party can claim that it can resonate with all parts of society and know the pain and aspirations of various classes.

I would say the opposition needs to have diversity. After all Os and Ns still make up 25% of Singapore population and will in years to come. Diplomas are even higher. I can't figure how they can't be convinced not to vote for the PAP GRCs teams that are 100% degrees. After all, why get a slate of MPs who are not your league. You are not voting for the best student award.

The opp had about a good 70% graduates, 20% diplomas and 10% certs the last time. That's slightly above the real reflection of the society. I agree with Scro on don't let PAP set the agenda that all needs degrees. Sell the PAP as an elite that lacks diversity.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I love this stuff. This is what gave birth to labour movement of UK, Oz and Democrats of Us. I hope the opposition use this approach. I am confident it will go down well with the voters. It has an additional benefit of implying that the Govt has lost touch with Singaporeans and living in Ivory Towers.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I love this stuff. This is what gave birth to labour movement of UK, Oz and Democrats of Us. I hope the opposition use this approach. I am confident it will go down well with the voters. It has an additional benefit of implying that the Govt has lost touch with Singaporeans and living in Ivory Towers.

Well you get the feel of what I mean. If PAP's argument that higher education, higher profession counts is valid, might as well not have elections. Just get the candidates on each side to submit their paper qualifications and resume to the elections dept and the better will be declared winner. Why waste time.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let put it this way.

Even if you look like shit, you still want to date or marry a Chio Biu.

It wouldn't be - Yes I am fat and ugly so I will find my type - a fat and ugly woman too.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are certainly on to something that is brilliant. I reckon after Maurice Neo's highly successful BEEs (By Elections Effect Strategy), this is a winner. More so now that the people that are currently affected by the economy and the FT issues are those classes of Singaporeans who are not in the elite category.

In fact, coupled with BEEs, this will provide greater leverage. In fact, BEEs can only be sold after nomination day when walkover numbers assures that the PAP will govern. Your strategy (lets call it FPBP strategy - For the People By the People, until you come out with something else) can be the primary platform.

Voters can identify with their rep much more immediately rather than some scholar, NTUC apple polisher, SPH prostitutes etc. that the PAP nominates as their candidates.

Well you get the feel of what I mean. If PAP's argument that higher education, higher profession counts is valid, might as well not have elections. Just get the candidates on each side to submit their paper qualifications and resume to the elections dept and the better will be declared winner. Why waste time.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah!, in this case, they are all Chio Bu but with O level, diploma , degree or a professional as the case maybe. And you know O level got a lot of Chio Bu.

Let put it this way.

It wouldn't be - Yes I am fat and ugly so I will find my type - a fat and ugly woman too.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let put it this way.

I think your illustration doesn't go deep enough. The opp is also providing "chio bu" - not that it is not. No one said to have a 100% otah-selling slate. Just that it is providing chio bu also providing the average pleasant looking, bubbly, who may not be fair but tanned and sporty. This is when you get sick of the PAP's standard "chio bu" of thick artificial make up, same kind of big eyes and thick lips, engulfing perfume, gowns and jewellery all around.

Everyone has a different definition of "chio bu". Many ogled Eunice Olsen but also Jocelyn Yeo when they are miles apart. Some compared Glenda Han of WP and the new Nicole Seah of RP when they are poles apart. Likely all of them are light years apart in character.

Only opp provides that diversity, despite not having a big pool to draw from.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are certainly on to something that is brilliant. I reckon after Maurice Neo's highly successful BEEs (By Elections Effect Strategy), this is a winner.

Bro, hopefully it helps but also hopefully it is not a matter of time the PAP copies. For eg in the past, single women were out of the PAP's candidate radar. Under LKY time, Penny Low would have never got in. Her candidacy surprised the rank and file of PAP in 2001. It did mark a change however small.

The PAP might field its first O Level candidate 1 or 2 elections in decades down the road, then perhaps that would be gone.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I share your concern. Like NSP, its important that opposition parties capitalise on it before PAP does by annoucing such strategies early. The PAP cadres are full of people from all walks of life but they need 2 GEs to slowly ease out the excess elites. They can of course steal the thunder by annoucing a 10 year plan to allow representation for all walks of life.

Agree on Penny Low.

Bro, hopefully it helps but also hopefully it is not a matter of time the PAP copies. For eg in the past, single women were out of the PAP's candidate radar. Under LKY time, Penny Low would have never got in. Her candidacy surprised the rank and file of PAP in 2001. It did mark a change however small.

The PAP might field its first O Level candidate 1 or 2 elections in decades down the road, then perhaps that would be gone.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I share your concern. Like NSP, its important that opposition parties capitalise on it before PAP does by annoucing such strategies early. The PAP cadres are full of people from all walks of life but they need 2 GEs to slowly ease out the excess elites. They can of course steal the thunder by annoucing a 10 year plan to allow representation for all walks of life.

Agree on Penny Low.

There might be advantages in doing so as well as disadvantages. I believe people's memories are etched closer to the election. If the PAP emulates, the opp should know how to react. I haven't thought of any, but a balanced parliament where all parties are represented is something the PAP hasn't been able to argue effectively against.

It also depends on what kind of strategies. Some require consistent products. Not sure how NSP is doing it differently though.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

I agree on the need to sell the PAP as an uncaring and unfeeling inconsiderate Wee Shu Min type Elite. I disagree on the packaging and well the best person suited the most to sell it.

Firstly I am not against an O Level or Diploma for that matter, if they can have or been seen to have a great track record in work, in union leadership in NGO leadership Cvic Community Leadership etc etc. I am against a totally O Level Diploma grad without any background as stated and would probably tend towards someone having a degree of some sorts whilst not indulging with the PAP in my academic results are better than yours sure will lose game.

Whether we like it or not, degrees and education matters in a society which puts a lot and emphasis into education.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, don't worry, we know where you coming from. We are making the best of an position that is not favourable to the oppostion. I am sure, if they can attract professionals, they would have done it.

Dear Perspective

I agree on the need to sell the PAP as an uncaring and unfeeling inconsiderate Wee Shu Min type Elite. I disagree on the packaging and well the best person suited the most to sell it.

Firstly I am not against an O Level or Diploma for that matter, if they can have or been seen to have a great track record in work, in union leadership in NGO leadership Cvic Community Leadership etc etc. I am against a totally O Level Diploma grad without any background as stated and would probably tend towards someone having a degree of some sorts whilst not indulging with the PAP in my academic results are better than yours sure will lose game.

Whether we like it or not, degrees and education matters in a society which puts a lot and emphasis into education.

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

Its hard enough to get people to vote opposition, harder enough to convince people of the opposition's ability to oppose and to do a good job managing their estate etc etc.

Whether one agree's with it or not, education or some form of education matters, or an ability without a formal education to show achievement matters to the electorate that will get an opposition candidate to 51%.

Will anger at PAP elitism be enough to get a GRC composed of entirely diploma n level and o level holders spouting Palinesque Anti Establishment rehtoric and Anti Elitism rhetoric into parliament defeating a Minister Led GRC team ? I believe not

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I think it is an "ideal" that we should strive towards to convince voters of the need to have diversity in representation. It is really ridiculous to have "elites" that don't know Mee Siam doesn't have hum or that having your ERP payment beeping sound is not funny at all but painful.

But as I have said, Singapore voters are inherently bias. They will make comparison of the weakest link of the opposition GRC team with the strongest PAP candidate in the same GRC contest. For example, they may compare James Gomez or me with George Yeo when they cast their votes, but never about Cynthia LEE-PHUA or YEO Guat Kwang with Sylvia Lim.

Even if you put James Gomez or me side by side with YEO Guat Kwang or Cynthia Lee-PHUA, we may just win that just a bit but no, that's how Singapore voters inherent bias voting pattern.

So it is never a question about having a GRC team with ALL diploma holders or O Level candidates. Even with a MIXED, with 3 or 4 degree holders and 1 or 2 Diploma or O level or ITE graduates, Singaporeans will take the weakest opposition candidate to compare with PAP minister in the team.

It is really about "political education" about having diversity in choices. But this is really hard to come by.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear Perspective

Its hard enough to get people to vote opposition, harder enough to convince people of the opposition's ability to oppose and to do a good job managing their estate etc etc.

Whether one agree's with it or not, education or some form of education matters, or an ability without a formal education to show achievement matters to the electorate that will get an opposition candidate to 51%.

Will anger at PAP elitism be enough to get a GRC composed of entirely diploma n level and o level holders spouting Palinesque Anti Establishment rehtoric and Anti Elitism rhetoric into parliament defeating a Minister Led GRC team ? I believe not

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS

My belief is that four professionals and a diploma holder is still doable as a team issue. The mix is important

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Locke,

I base my belief by past historical observations. Unless there is a fundamental change in mindset or there is a big political environmental change or change on the political climate, Singaporeans will not change their political inclination on voting.

Whenevere there are people who tell me that opposition should get more "qualified" peope as candidates, I am always curious in wanting to know what "qualifications" they are looking for. Almost 99% of the time, it is always "at least a degree" or better educational qualifications etc. It is never about political experiences, or experience in social activism, social work or grassroot involvement.

They would even prefer a lawyer, doctor, banker or even an accountant without the need to know about their relevant political experiences, least their political views. This is seriously sign of a lack of political maturity. If we cannot rid of this deficiency, the plan of such a mixed team with 4 professional and a diploma holder will face an uphill task in winning.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear GMS

My belief is that four professionals and a diploma holder is still doable as a team issue. The mix is important

Locke