• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Now I understand why SMU is a gutter University

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sengkang Town Council won't drop lawsuit against Workers' Party members: SMU Law don

btwp20200804.jpg

The Workers' Party-run Sengkang Town Council (SKTC) will not drop the lawsuit against its own party members because it owes fiduciary duties to the town council, a law lecturer has suggested.

Citing a landmark High Court ruling last year that town councillors have fiduciary duties to town councils, Singapore Management University lecturer Nicholas Liu said the "only legally safe and practical way forward" would be for SKTC to appoint an independent panel to direct the suit on its behalf.

The WP-run SKTC will take over management of a parallel lawsuit initiated by the Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council (PRPTC), after the opposition party won Sengkang GRC at the recent general election.

The new Sengkang GRC consists of Punggol East SMC as well as parts of the former Sengkang West SMC and Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC.

PRPTC had filed the ongoing civil suit against WP chairman Sylvia Lim, former party chief Low Thia Khiang and six other defendants to recover alleged losses incurred by the former Punggol East SMC when it was in WP hands between the 2013 by-election and 2015 General Election.

Said Mr Liu: "If SKTC were to decide on its own to discontinue the suit, the Sengkang town councillors would run a serious risk of being in breach of their own fiduciary duties to SKTC, exposing themselves to potential proceedings in future. Given that the WP has controlled AHTC since the 2015 General Election (although it entrusted the conduct of the litigation to an independent panel), this awkward situation of 'ownself sue ownself' is a somewhat familiar one."

Mr Liu said that until the Court of Appeal rules on the case and provides clarity, town councillors must, out of practicality, act on the assumption that they owe fiduciary duties to their town council. To do otherwise would be a dangerous gamble, he added.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Charles Chong lied, can't prove anything for 5 years. What fiduciary duties is there to speak of?
This is why former Punggol East SMC cluster in Sengkang GRC gave WP a strong support in GE2020.

Now SMU talks nonsense and wants WP to ownself sue ownself, give me a break.

birdie69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Charles Chong lied, can't prove anything for 5 years. What fiduciary duties is there to speak of?
This is why former Punggol East SMC cluster in Sengkang GRC gave WP a strong support in GE2020.

Now SMU talks nonsense and wants WP to ownself sue ownself, give me a break.
Charles Chong is suffering from liver problem now.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everything can do but don harm humans can already.This guy do too many bad things to humans n indirecty to their family members...sad

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't expect impartiality from the local academia circle. Sinkieland is a totalitarian shithole after all. There is no academic freedom. :wink:

By the way, if my memory serves me right, Yong Pung How was once an employee at SMU law faculty. :biggrin: