• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nostalgia: Singapore in 1983

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Those days you still have wayang troupes of various dialect groups going around putting up wayangs during dua jit chee, some were accompanied by hand puppet shows.

You also have the kacang putih man and drinks uncle will setting up stalls, ice creams carts were a treat. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those days you still have wayang troupes of various dialect groups going around putting up wayangs during dua jit chee, some were accompanied by hand puppet shows.

You also have the kacang putih man and drinks uncle will setting up stalls, ice creams carts were a treat. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Koyok man performing and selling at town centres.

Farmers were also selling their farm produce e.g. eggs at the town centres too.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

I remember those days fondly. The electrifying atmosphere and the wonderful food variety. All mobile hawkers. Mee siam, muah chee, gao lak, malt candy, birds nest drink with no birds nest, carrot cake, and so on. Those were the days. Gone forever.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember those days fondly. The electrifying atmosphere and the wonderful food variety. All mobile hawkers. Mee siam, muah chee, gao lak, malt candy, birds nest drink with no birds nest, carrot cake, and so on. Those were the days. Gone forever.

You can still find some of these stuff replicated at Pasar Malams. But they taste like shit.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sentosa tragedy

The derrick of the Panama-registered oil drilling vessel, Eniwetok, snagged one of the ropeways and sent two Sentosa cable cars plunging into the sea off Jardine Steps.

The derrick of the Panama-registered oil drilling vessel, Eniwetok, snagged one of the ropeways and sent two Sentosa cable cars
plunging into the sea off Jardine Steps.PHOTO: ST FILE

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...now-about-the-1983-sentosa-cable-car-accident

ginfugly

Alfrescian
Loyal
those were the hey days of the gel perm hairstyle bengs in black pants white socks and long sharp orange comb sticking out of the back pocket

PAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
A fucking bunch of loser dinosaurs here in this thread, from TS to those parroting past glories and still looking at what's gone instead of looking forward to face new challenges :rolleyes:

Thankfully, we now have more foreigners and new citizens in our midst to help us grow. Otherwise, this island will be as fuckup as Malaysia.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wouldn't consider early 80s antiquated at all ..sinkie was well on its way to modern or metrpolis ...it was days, I spent a lot of time in night spots with live band ..many sky scrappers in the shenton way ,breaking away from Clifford pier area and change alley

but ,I do recall all those road side hawkers with some of the food that had vanished

to me ,the 50s and 60s would be more nostalgic

ginfugly

Alfrescian
Loyal
A fucking bunch of loser dinosaurs here in this thread, from TS to those parroting past glories and still looking at what's gone instead of looking forward to face new challenges :rolleyes:

Thankfully, we now have more foreigners and new citizens in our midst to help us grow. Otherwise, this island will be as fuckup as Malaysia.

dont be too hard on yourself, John :biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I remember those days fondly. The electrifying atmosphere and the wonderful food variety.

As kids, my neighbors and I would play at the backstage area, sometimes beneath the platform to escape the sun, mesmerised by the props they hung around.

birdie69

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can still find some of these stuff replicated at Pasar Malams. But they taste like shit.
Those days the government really took good care of the people, people strongly supported PAP government even the life were tough and standard of living not very high. We did not foreign PMET take over our jobs problem and even our salary was low

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those days the government really took good care of the people, people strongly supported PAP government even the life were tough and standard of living not very high. We did not foreign PMET take over our jobs problem and even our salary was low
that's one perspective ...but it was also the darkest day politically ...when opposition were hunted down ruthlessly ...the economic success was largely due to our region becoming the focus point in trade...not to mention ,the 2 asian giants ,china and india still yet to find its feet in the 80s