• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No Sex Games in Uni, Please!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Good and bad in uni orientation camps
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I READ with interest followed by disgust about some activities included in this year's orientation, especially at the National University of Singapore (NUS) ('Orientation - just fun or plain lewd?', Aug 31).
I remember exactly one year ago reading about orientation on university campuses and feedback in The Straits Times on questionable activities in which students were made to participate.
I laud the Social Development Unit (SDU) for its initiative to support and help fund orientation activities organised by the universities. I agree that some students need encouragement and help developing social and interpersonal skills. Creating opportunities through appropriate group activities will help accomplish the original aim.
However, the nature and extent of such activities must be carefully monitored. If SDU cannot spell out the boundaries more explicitly, it is up to whoever oversees the orientation programmes to step in. A spokesman for Nanyang Technological University said action will be taken against students who 'overstep the boundaries of decency', and another from NUS said it will 'investigate and counsel or discipline students' if complaints are received. However, one year has passed and this is the second round of similar if not worse games.
Let us get this straight. Activities do not have to involve distasteful acts in order to promote bonding, develop relationships and foster identity.
Ms Nadya Huang said she has 'never seen people do anything against their will'. Most students will comply and participate gamely in the name of sportsmanship. That does not mean they agree willingly.
In programmes that are common to the whole cohort, such as orientation, it is inappropriate to include activities where students must come into physical contact with the opposite sex.
When I discussed the article with my 16-year-old daughter and 18-year-old son, I am glad they agreed with me that such activities are improper and out of place. I trust they have the courage and conviction not only to decline but also to express disapproval via the proper channels if they are in such a situation.
There are many other appropriate and effective ways to promote and encourage social interaction among freshies. We can be creative without being indiscreet.
Linda Tan (Mrs)

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Good and bad in uni orientation camps
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I READ with interest followed by disgust about some activities included in this year's orientation, especially at the National University of Singapore (NUS) ('Orientation - just fun or plain lewd?', Aug 31).
I remember exactly one year ago reading about orientation on university campuses and feedback in The Straits Times on questionable activities in which students were made to participate.
I laud the Social Development Unit (SDU) for its initiative to support and help fund orientation activities organised by the universities. I agree that some students need encouragement and help developing social and interpersonal skills. Creating opportunities through appropriate group activities will help accomplish the original aim.
However, the nature and extent of such activities must be carefully monitored. If SDU cannot spell out the boundaries more explicitly, it is up to whoever oversees the orientation programmes to step in. A spokesman for Nanyang Technological University said action will be taken against students who 'overstep the boundaries of decency', and another from NUS said it will 'investigate and counsel or discipline students' if complaints are received. However, one year has passed and this is the second round of similar if not worse games.
Let us get this straight. Activities do not have to involve distasteful acts in order to promote bonding, develop relationships and foster identity.
Ms Nadya Huang said she has 'never seen people do anything against their will'. Most students will comply and participate gamely in the name of sportsmanship. That does not mean they agree willingly.
In programmes that are common to the whole cohort, such as orientation, it is inappropriate to include activities where students must come into physical contact with the opposite sex.
When I discussed the article with my 16-year-old daughter and 18-year-old son, I am glad they agreed with me that such activities are improper and out of place. I trust they have the courage and conviction not only to decline but also to express disapproval via the proper channels if they are in such a situation.
There are many other appropriate and effective ways to promote and encourage social interaction among freshies. We can be creative without being indiscreet.
Linda Tan (Mrs)

She must be still living in a cave, from stone age is that where she is from.:confused::confused::confused:

observer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think she failed to realised that the country is in a dire state of an all time low birth rate.

With the top man insisting and encouraging that graduates only pair up with graduates to improve the gene pool, and, most importantly, SDU haven't been producing the expected results, why is she going against the campaign?

Shouldn't tertiary schools have more facilities to cater to young mothers-to-be, to ensure that they finish their education with proper care and support throughout the pregnancy?

Maybe orientation camps of a risqué nature are the way to go. Or graduation camps as well? Where's the "think-out-of-the-box" mentality when you need it? :rolleyes:

Linda Tan (Mrs)

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
<When I discussed the article with my 16-year-old daughter and 18-year-old son, I am glad they agreed with me that such activities are improper and out of place.>

mrs linda is bloody stupid.. she asked her children at point-blank range.. what other answers could they possible say except to agree with her..:biggrin:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
did she expect her daughter to tell her: mom I already lost my cherry to Fred in his car...??

twochan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you fail to realise low birth rate isn't the problem. Dependence on cheap labour is.

The government hasn't invested enough in automation/robotics/research. It has also to do with the mentality of getting headcount instead. In sg politics headcount = power.

When your fundamentals are wrong, no matter how much scholars you put on the problem to solve superficial problems, you will get solutions like these.

Why do you think some of the REALLY talented scholars in the civil service left to work overseas?

I think she failed to realised that the country is in a dire state of an all time low birth rate.

With the top man insisting and encouraging that graduates only pair up with graduates to improve the gene pool, and, most importantly, SDU haven't been producing the expected results, why is she going against the campaign?

Shouldn't tertiary schools have more facilities to cater to young mothers-to-be, to ensure that they finish their education with proper care and support throughout the pregnancy?

Maybe orientation camps of a risqué nature are the way to go. Or graduation camps as well? Where's the "think-out-of-the-box" mentality when you need it? :rolleyes:

observer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your point of view noted.

:p

I think you fail to realise low birth rate isn't the problem. Dependence on cheap labour is.

The government hasn't invested enough in automation/robotics/research. It has also to do with the mentality of getting headcount instead. In sg politics headcount = power.

When your fundamentals are wrong, no matter how much scholars you put on the problem to solve superficial problems, you will get solutions like these.

Why do you think some of the REALLY talented scholars in the civil service left to work overseas?

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Linda Tan (Mrs)

No guts, no glory. No sex, no babies

monster.cookie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont be such a prude la Linda. If you dont want your son to turn gay or your daughter be left on the shelf at age 35, then please let them join the mainstream of youngsters and be open about their sexuality.

By the time they are in the uni, they are considered adults and should be able to distinguish what is right or wrong. If they dont like what they are told to do, they can always say no. I remember my orientation days, they asked me to kiss a ugly bitch as a forfeit for some orientation game I simply told them "fuck off".

Take a chill pill, half the fun (probably more) of going to the uni is get laid. Dont spoil it for your kids.