• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newton Stall - STB to the Rescue of Foreigners

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Tourism Board ("STB"), a government statutory board, has said that they will act for the American tourists to help them reclaim the amount they had paid to the Newton Stall holder who had allegedly overcharged them.

STB says that they will represent the American tourists in the Small Claims Tribunal in their absence as they were the alleged victims of price overcharging.

My question to the government is this :

A victim of a crime who had suffered losses and the accused was arrested and brought to justice in the courts. Since when did the police or any government department decided to act for the victim to help him to recover their losses in the courts.

The American tourist could engage a lawyer to help him recover his losses in the court. Why is STB so proactive to help them using public funds. In what capacity has STB got to act for the American tourist in the courts. STB are not lawyers but a statutory board.

But our government department are helping the American tourist to recover his losses when the civil servants are paid by the public who is not even helping the Singaporean victims to recover their losses.

What public policy is this again.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They gringoes went to STPB for help, STPB played 'tai chi' and deflect it to NEA. Gringoes, got mad, and said their President says "yes we can", so how come STPB , can not?

That is why, STPB must kowtow to gringoes...and say, YES!, WE CAN!...if this was ah Beng family being cheated...NEA will look into this, and 'wayang' all the way...

We are still in colonial times...

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow STPB have change their policy???
new management?
what is next STPB go and give blowjobs?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ang Mohs go to Newton Circle. Ang Mohs order 8 extra large prawns @ SGD8 per 100g. Ang Mohs not happy to pay the price and complain.

In the first place, is the extra large prawn a common thing in USA? The store owner already said its not just normal prawns and he did display the price. I think the Ang Moh is an idiot to think that prawns of such size is cheap.

STB is scared that the incident frighten tourist away and turned to tekan Sinkees.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
They gringoes went to STPB for help, STPB played 'tai chi' and deflect it to NEA. Gringoes, got mad, and said their President says "yes we can", so how come STPB , can not?

That is why, STPB must kowtow to gringoes...and say, YES!, WE CAN!...if this was ah Beng family being cheated...NEA will look into this, and 'wayang' all the way...

We are still in colonial times...
Not back to colonial time but simply we now hv two sets of law for two different group of citizens.

Again a first in the developed world.Not to mention communist countries of course.

I hope we also end up with two sets of lawyers.

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
They want to show the ang moh that Singapore care, if Sinagporean complain your XXXX problem, thay are only good to carry their ding dong

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ang Mohs go to Newton Circle. Ang Mohs order 8 extra large prawns @ SGD8 per 100g. Ang Mohs not happy to pay the price and complain.

In the first place, is the extra large prawn a common thing in USA? The store owner already said its not just normal prawns and he did display the price. I think the Ang Moh is an idiot to think that prawns of such size is cheap.

STB is scared that the incident frighten tourist away and turned to tekan Sinkees.

FYI, it is not cheap to buy from wholesaler prawns of that size. For 5 prawns about the size of 300-350 grams, it would costs about $38-$46 from wholesalers. It is possible that they served the size of 300-350 g to the angmo at $8 per 100g and it easily costs $200.

Did NEA finds out the price from wholesaler before they summarily suspend the hawker.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Singaporean more or less know that Newton has been a problem. This has been going on too many times since the early 80s. Its nothing new. The fact that the stall did not open the following day when reporters turned up and the owner refuse identify himself or to give his side of the story until the next day, reeks of guilt.

I do feel pity for Japanese tourists who are get ripped off by these chaps on aregular basis.

Sim Lim is another well know problem. The worst incident that I recall is placing stones in a VCR box for a tourist.

Guess what, I heard that cameras installed at Newton have high resolution. So if you think that you got ripped off, bring the plate nearer to the camera and file complaint. No need to argue with the guy.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FYI, it is not cheap to buy from wholesaler prawns of that size. For 5 prawns about the size of 300-350 grams, it would costs about $38-$46 from wholesalers. It is possible that they served the size of 300-350 g to the angmo at $8 per 100g and it easily costs $200.

Did NEA finds out the price from wholesaler before they summarily suspend the hawker.

I only been there for 3 times because pass by only. The pricing in Newton Circle really expensive. Even beer also markup more than $1 compare to normal hawker or food court in shopping centre.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the NEA & STB are over-reacting, b'cos they are very pro-foreigners, especially AngMoh. If this thing happen to the locals, the relevant authorities will probably blame the locals for not reading the listed price & weighing the seafood before ordering them.

Just like Singapore police........Kan Ren Ban Shi............:biggrin:

Made me sick.

Uniquely Singapore! :rolleyes:

boii77

Alfrescian
Loyal
i guess singapore tourism board has to act for the foreigner becos newton circus n lau pak sar r the places they highlighted by them. last time i got 2 frens from israel n bulgaria came n when i brought them to eat cheap n good hawker fare.. they were astonished to know tat they can actually buy $2 food in sg...n also the fact the food i intro is far better than STB listed. Also one of my fren actually went mandarin to eat $25 hainanese chicken rice.. n i juz brought him to alexandra market to eat a $2.50 chicken rice..

I felt most tourists come to sg juz simply follow STB guidelines on where to shop where, to eat, where to go.. e.g. newton n lau pak sar (food), sim lim n lucky plaza (electronics).. mustafa centre.. etc.. one good thing is these places r very familiar wif tax rebate stuffs.. but the tourists doesnt noe tat they can infact get cheaper stuff in neighbourhood shops, even after minus gst/tax rebates compare to the recommended shops STB listed.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... most tourists come to sg juz simply follow STB guidelines on where to shop where, to eat, where to go.. e.g. newton n lau pak sar (food), sim lim n lucky plaza (electronics).. mustafa centre.. etc.. one good thing is these places r very familiar wif tax rebate stuffs.. but the tourists doesnt noe tat they can infact get cheaper stuff in neighbourhood shops, even after minus gst/tax rebates compare to the recommended shops STB listed.
so, stb is ze burger who anyhow intro ppl 2 eat n shop 2 kena ketok! ...

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I felt most tourists come to sg juz simply follow STB guidelines on where to shop where, to eat, where to go.. e.g. newton n lau pak sar (food), sim lim n lucky plaza (electronics).. mustafa centre.. etc.. one good thing is these places r very familiar wif tax rebate stuffs.. but the tourists doesnt noe tat they can infact get cheaper stuff in neighbourhood shops, even after minus gst/tax rebates compare to the recommended shops STB listed.

I think lau par sat and mustafa are both good places for tourists to visit.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
SotSiPenDe® 19-Mar-2009 @ 8:12 PM [Click to Report/Complain] [Reply With Quote] [Edit This Message] #7

well done spg mps!! this proves out beloved garmehnt is nothing but white cocks balls suckers! some ang moh complain and this poor man stall kena close down!

WHAT ABOUT THOSE BONDS MONEYS THAT THE BLOODY F!@#$KING ANG MOH SCAMED AND CHEATED OUT OF THOSE POOR PPL WHO INVESTED IN THEM GARMEHT DO NOTHING!!

I THINK WHAT THIS GUY DID IS RIGHT COS HE FIGHT BACK FOR THE ASIAN YET THE GARMENT CHOOSE TO HELP ANG MOH
.....SO THAT THEY CAN HAVE MORE "GOOD TIME" SUCKING!! Evil Grin Mad

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
When angmoh come to my restaurant and eat, I always size them up first.

If they are below 30 years I ask them to pay first before meal is served and I won't serve beer to them.

If they don't like it, they can leave. Young angmohs are bloody trouble makers and think the world of themselves

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Close down the freaking newton hawker centre for 3 month to punish the greedy mercedes driving tax evading hawkers, singapore would not be worst off without this hawker centre

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
i guess singapore tourism board has to act for the foreigner becos newton circus n lau pak sar r the places they highlighted by them. last time i got 2 frens from israel n bulgaria came n when i brought them to eat cheap n good hawker fare.. they were astonished to know tat they can actually buy $2 food in sg...n also the fact the food i intro is far better than STB listed. Also one of my fren actually went mandarin to eat $25 hainanese chicken rice.. n i juz brought him to alexandra market to eat a $2.50 chicken rice..

I agree with you that it is the STB who had painted the pictures to the tourists in their brochures that you can get good food in Lau Pa Sat and Newton but they have also forgotten that the prices charged at those stalls are way above what the locals used to pay at local food centre.

The STB has actually painted a picture that food in Singapore is expensive. Where have you seen in any part of the brocuhures that they promoted food at local market or food court. You can eat seafood at any local coffee shop that sells "Zhi Char" and it is priced at local price compared to what the Newton foodstall charges.

In fact, I find that STB and NEA had a part to blame for this fiasco because they knew all along that prices of seafood served at Newton are extremely high but sat down and do nothing. It is a fact that big tiger prawn are selling at $7-8 per 100 gram in Newton. It is very expensive but this is an open market concept. Further, the stall holder had to charged high because rental of the stall are also extremely high.

What STB and NEA should do is to ask all the stall holder to list their prices out for each item and show the weight of each individual seafood ordered to the tourists before they are cooked so that there will not be any disputes later on. You agree on the price before they are cooked.