• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[NEWS] - Travel Alert, Stay Safe

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Paris or Spain,

Be careful of stranger women giving you flowers, leaf or anything.

They will grab your hand and read your palm.

If you do not pay up, their friends will surround you and pretend to be strangers siding with the palm reader.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Picking pocket is big business in European cities.

This organised crime has its rewards for the bad guys.

article-2106131-11E166F7000005DC-329_634x470.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sy-family-deep-rooted-criminality-jailed.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...building-palaces-home-child-slave-labour.html

TOP 10 Pickpocket cities
http://www.itravelertimes.com/artic...ocket-scams-top-10-cities-defense-tactics.htm
1. Barcelona, Spain
2. Rome, Italy
3. Paris, France
4. Madrid, Spain
5. Athens, Greece
6. Prague, Czech Republic
7. Costa Brava (Alicante Province), Spain
8. Lisbon, Portugal
9. Tenerife, Spain - part of the beautiful Canary Islands
10. London, England

PROTECT YOURSELF

pickpocket-proof-yourself-from-thieving-hands.w654.jpg

Some people believe in Pacsafe bags.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/it0c_ddo-vU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks brother. The above was useful.

The first time I was in Bangkok, I had my fair share of tourist traps. The 10baht all day tuk tuk scam, King/Buddha birthday scam. Both scams ultimately leads you to some overpriced gem shops :biggrin:
I was lucky only to buy a sapphire pendant :p

The only time was when we went to watch the Thai girls shows. Most shows were on the first floor in shops on the street. I was unlucky to have chose one that is on the second floor whereby the first floor was guarded by some men. Common instinct should have alerted me not to proceed and in the end, I lost 2000baht to ensure my wife and I got out free and safe :o

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Useful item for luggage, children. When your luggage/child leaves your side/sight for more than 10 metres, this thing goes off.

2ljpaoi.jpg

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just took it. Look at how careless this girl is. Singapore is probably the only country in Asean that tourists can do this.

1nyb7n.jpg

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Barcelona. The most risky place is at the subway interchange PASSEIG DE GRACIE

As long as tourists gather, the pickpocket gangs also gather.

Las Ramblas
Plaza Catalunya
Plaza Real
Gothic Quarte
El Raval
Plaza de la Catedral (Cathedral Square)
La Boqueria Market
Sagrada Familia
Via Laietana
Moll de la Fusta
Olympic Stadium
Barrio Chino

There are 2 types of subway trains, run by different governments (local & state)

Plaza Catalunya, Liceo, Drassanes, Urquinaon a, Jaume I and Barceloneta. Placa Espania, and Passeig de Gracia. These stations are popular with tourists and pickpockets.

L3 (Green) which runs through Las Ramblas,
L4 (Yellow) which goes to the beaches from main city center metro stations.

One common trick is when commuters board the train, an accomplice stops unexpectedly just after entering, causing you to collide into him. As you’re recovering from the incident, your pocket is picked by the thief standing outside. That accomplice then steps out the train before the train door closes.

On bus #24 heading to Parc Guell, this is the pickpocket express. Because the route is quite windy and hilly, and crowded. Pickpockets have a great time. Watch out for people carrying newspapers or with coats. They could be tools for their jobs.

Last edited:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paris is swarming with gypsies in summer, they will come up to you and ask you to sign a petition, sell you flowers and all sorts of shit and then of course, you will be relieved of your wallet, I have seen gypsies just blatantly grab a ladies handbag and try to walk off.

So please be wary and dont be too conspicuous.

Otherwise have your wits about you and enjoy europe, it is a facinating place. :biggrin:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
19 dead after hot air balloon crashes at Egypt's Luxor
Posted: 26 February 2013 1923 hrs

CAIRO: A hot air balloon exploded and plunged to earth at Egypt's ancient temple city of Luxor during a sunrise flight on Tuesday, killing up to 19 tourists, including Asians and Europeans, sources said.

The balloon carrying 21 people was flying at 300 metres (1,000 feet) when it caught fire, a security official said.

An employee at the company operating the balloon, Sky Cruise, said the pilot and one tourist survived by jumping out of the basket before it hit the ground. Both were taken to hospital.

There were contradictory reports over the death toll and the nationalities of those killed in the crash.

An Egyptian security official said 19 tourists had died including nine from Hong Kong, four from Japan, three Britons, two French tourists and one Hungarian.

The health ministry said 14 people had died, and four were missing. It said three people survived but were injured in the crash, including two Britons and one Egyptian.

The Britons were in "critical condition" including one undergoing surgery, state television reported, but security officials said all three Britons had died.

The British foreign office could not immediately confirm if any Britons had died.

"We are aware of the reports. We are making inquiries," a foreign office spokesman said.

In Luxor, security services cordoned off the scene of the crash in the dense sugar cane fields, as police and residents inspected the charred remains of the balloon.

The Japanese embassy in Cairo said it was trying to confirm the reports that Japanese nationals died in the accident.

The French embassy was also trying to ascertain whether French nationals had died in the crash, amid conflicting reports.

In Hong Kong, the general manager of a tour operator said nine Hong Kong people were feared dead.

"We believe that there is a high possibility that nine of our customers have died," Raymond Ng of travel agency Kuoni which organised the Hong Kongers' tour told a news conference.

The five women and four men were aged between 33 and 62, Ng said. Their relatives were to fly to Cairo later on Tuesday via Qatar, accompanied by three staff from Kuoni, he added.

The nine were from a group of 15 Hong Kongers who had left for Egypt on February 22. Ng said that according to local employees, the balloon caught fire about an hour after it had set off, plummeting to the ground two minutes later.

"This is terrible, just terrible," the Sky Cruise employee told AFP by telephone, declining to give her name. "We don't yet know what happened exactly or what went wrong," she said.

The balloon had been floating over the west bank of Luxor, one of Egypt's most renowned archaeological sites and home to the famous Valley of the Kings and the grand Temple of Hatshepsut.

In 2009, 13 foreign tourists were injured when their hot air balloon hit a phone mast and crashed at Luxor. Sources at the time said the balloon was overcrowded.

The crash comes amid widespread anger over safety standards in Egypt following several deadly transport and construction accidents.

-AFP/fl

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Two bomb blasts struck one of America's top sporting events Monday, killing at least three and wounding more than 100 as the Boston Marathon erupted in a maelstrom of blood, screams, smoke and panic.

ht9X0MS.jpg

Medical workers aid injured people at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston that killed at least three and wounding more than 100. (AP/Charles Krupa)