• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Selling property in Malaysia. Tips and tricks to share.

1. Basing asking price on needs or emotion rather than market value.
Many times sellers base their pricing on how much they paid for or invested in their property. This can be an expensive mistake. If your property is not priced competitively, buyers will reject it in favour of other better properties for the same price. At the same time, the buyers who should be looking at your property will not see it because it is priced over their heads. The result is increased market time, and even when the price is eventually lowered, the buyers are wary because "nobody wants to buy a property that nobody else wants". The result is low offers and an unwillingness to negotiate. Every seller wants to realize as much money as possible from the sale, but a listing priced too high often eventually sells for less than market value.

2. Failing to "Present" the property.
A property that is not clean or well maintained is a red flag for the buyer. It is an indication that there may be hidden defects that will result in increased cost of ownership. Sellers who fail to make necessary repairs, who don't spruce up the property inside and out, and fail to keep it clean and neat, chase away buyers as fast as Real Estate Agents can bring them. Buyers are poor judges of the cost of repairs, and always build in a large margin for error when offering on such a property. Sellers are always better off doing the work themselves ahead of time.

3. Over-improving the property prior to selling.
Sellers often unwittingly spend thousands of dollars doing the wrong upgrades to their property prior to attempting to sell in the mistaken belief that they will recoup this cost. If you are upgrading your property for your personal enjoyment - fine. But if you are thinking of selling, you should be aware that only certain upgrades are cost effective. Always consult with your Real Estate Agent BEFORE committing to upgrading your property.

4. Choosing the wrong Agent or choosing for the wrong reasons.
Many property owners list with the agent who tells them the highest price. You need to choose an experienced agent with the best marketing plan to sell your property. In the real estate business, an agent with many successfully closed transactions usually costs the same as someone who is inexperienced. That experience could mean a higher price at the negotiating table, selling in less time, and with a minimum amount of hassles.

5. Using the "Hard Sell" during showings.
Buying a property is an emotional decision. Buyers like to "try on" a property and see if it is comfortable for them. It is difficult for them to do if you follow them around pointing out every improvement that you made. Good Real Estate Agents let the buyers discover the property on their own, pointing out only features they are sure are important to them. Many sales are lost by overselling. If buyers think they are paying for features that are not particularly important to them personally, they will reject the property in favour of a less expensive property without the features.

6. Failing to take the first offer seriously.
Often sellers believe that the first offer received will be one of many to come. There is a tendency to not take it seriously, and to hold out for a higher price. This is especially true if the offer comes in soon after the property is placed on the market. Experienced Real Estate Agents know that more often than not the first buyer ends up being the best buyer, and many, many sellers have had to accept far less money than the initial offer later in the selling process. The property is most saleable early in the marketing period, and the amount buyers are willing to pay diminishes with the length of time a property has been on the market. Many sellers would give anything to find that prospective buyer who made the first, and ONLY, offer.

7. Not knowing your rights and obligations.
The contract you sign to sell your property is a complex and legally binding document. An improperly written contract can allow the purchaser to void the sale, or cost you thousands of unnecessary dollars. Have an experienced Real Estate Agent who knows the "ins and outs" fully explain the contract you are about to sign to you, or have your lawyer review it before acceptance.

8. Failure to effectively market the property.
Good marketing opens the door that exposes the property to the marketplace. It means distinguishing your property from hundreds of others on the market. It also means selling the benefits, as well as the features. The two most obvious marketing tools (open properties and print advertising) are only moderately effective. Just 1% of properties are sold at open properties, and advertising studies show that only 3% of people purchased their property because they called on a print ad! Agents use these tools to attract future prospects, not to sell the property. The right Real Estate Agent will employ a wide variety of marketing activities, emphasizing the ones believed to work best for your property.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1. Private or Professional?

The first thing you need to decide before selling off your property is whether you want to sell it through a professional agent (getting the service from a real estate company or direct contact with an agent), or selling it yourself? If you are inexperienced, especially if this is your first time, it is advisable to seek the experts’ help in order to get a better deal and reduce any complications that might arise later.

But be sure that you look for a reliable and trustworthy agent as you would not want to face any hassles in the midst of the sale. Make sure the agent comes from a trusted background or a well-established company. Go for a more experienced agent as he/she would be able to help you secure the best deal, in a shorter time.

However, if you wish to sell the property personally, make sure you do not use “hard sell” when negotiating with a prospective buyer. Most of the time, buyers get turned off with over-selling. They prefer to be given space and time to consider thoroughly instead of being pushed to purchase. Be attentive to your buyer’s needs and be there to answer their queries.

2. Get Necessary Help

Even if you are selling your property privately or through an agent, you would still require professional help in appraising your property’s value as well as a solicitor for legal consultation. With the right experts’ help, you are able to avoid unwanted complications throughout the procedure. A lawyer is crucial as he/she could help point out important details that you may miss out on an agreement, to prevent any undesired consequences.

3. Price of Property

After appraisal or valuation, make sure you set an appropriate price for your property. Do not let emotions affect your rationale as over-priced properties tend to sell at a lower-than-market price in the end. Check on the prices of similar properties in the market in order to compare notes to avoid the buyer from hesitating to seal the deal if they know you have made a better offer.

4. Marketing

Effective marketing through the right media can produce a more successful sale of property. Be personally involved in advertising the property as you know it best. In this modernised era, property websites are a much more effective marketing tool compared to brochures, newspaper/magazine advertising or billboards, as people are now too busy to flip through the newspaper ads but they can conveniently click through pages of websites, even while at work. Also, focus on the positive features of your property to attract the attention of interested buyers.

5. Prospective Buyer’s Viewing

This is an important aspect to look out for. The property should always be maintained in the best condition to entice prospective buyers. Make sure new layers of paint or light renovation are done where needed so that the property is well-presented and the buyer would feel that they are buying a value-for-money property.

If you are selling your property privately, organise your time well as good time management will also impress prospective buyers, as you indicate to them that you sincerely accommodate to their time and needs. Make yourself available on evenings and weekends, as this is when prospective buyers are usually free for a visit to your property.

6. Accepting an Offer

An interested buyer will make offer either directly to you or through your agent, if you hired one. You could consult your agent on whether the offer presented is reasonable enough. If not, you can always prepare yourself for negotiations with the buyer until you reach a decision that satisfies both. Re-check the value of your property according to market prices before accepting an offer so that you will not lose out by selling below market value. Prices can go up or down in a very short time.

Remember not to take lightly the first offer that you get, assuming that there would be more offers to come from other buyer candidates. You may regret losing a deal because of your lack of urgency towards the buyer and his/her needs.

7. Sales and Purchase Agreement

Make sure you know your rights and obligations before signing a Sale and Purchase agreement. Get professional advice from experts on the legal matters in order to avoid any unwanted complications, such as a potential buyer who pulls out last minute, causing you unexpected losses due to a flaw in the agreement.

Despite which side’s lawyer (buyer or seller) preparing the Sales and Purchase agreement, both parties should unreservedly agree on the terms and conditions provided in the agreement. Your lawyer should be able to advise you on this as well as deal with stamping, RPGT and other relevant matters.

8. Money Matters

Payment – The buyer will pay the balance of the first 10 per cent of the Purchase Price (less the earnest deposit) after execution of agreement, with the remaining balance payable to you within three months (usually plus another month) from the date of the agreement, or at an earlier or later date as agreed by both parties.

Commission – The agent gets 2.75% commission on the first RM500,000 of the property’s selling price and 2% on any amount over RM500,000.

Property Sale & Purchase Legal fees – 1% is imposed on the first RM100,000 of the property’s selling price, whereas 0.5% for the next RM4,800,000 and 0.25% on any amount over RM4,900,000.

Check your mortgage policy before selling to find out if there is any applicable penalty for early redemption. Check with your lawyer on the applicable amount of Real Property Gains Tax payable. This would depend on how long you have held the property prior to selling it.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Quote - (Commission – The agent gets 2.75% commission on the first RM500,000 of the property’s selling price and 2% on any amount over RM500,000.)

Agency fees are usually limited to 3% max with 2% as the high norm for a flat fee of the actual selling price (no matter what was declared). There are still folks who only pay out 1% especially for cases where the agent only met the minimum price for selling.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Quote: (7. Not knowing your rights and obligations.
The contract you sign to sell your property is a complex and legally binding document. An improperly written contract can allow the purchaser to void the sale, or cost you thousands of unnecessary dollars. Have an experienced Real Estate Agent who knows the "ins and outs" fully explain the contract you are about to sign to you, or have your lawyer review it before acceptance.)

With or without an agent, get a proper option to purchase document for both sides to sign when accepting the deposit so that everyones rights are protected and the terms clearly spelled out prior to signing.

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think lawyer is more important than agent when selling a property.

Agent have chance to meet both buyer and seller; while lawyer only know the party engage their service.

I always avoid lawyer recommended by agents. I prefer to engage my own lawyers.

But in JB ; I do not know any lawyer yet..... just 1 from Sky 88 developers'.

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agent have chance to meet both buyer and seller; while lawyer only know the party engage their service.

but no choice right if you want to enjoy the free spa/stamp duty fees you have to use the developer's panel lawyer

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

but no choice right if you want to enjoy the free spa/stamp duty fees you have to use the developer's panel lawyer

Buying from developer is not a problem. Selling is.

Not a lot of Singaporean know how to sell a property in JB.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Buying from developer is not a problem. Selling is.

Not a lot of Singaporean know how to sell a property in JB.

Just do your own legwork if you want to avoid using agents. Do check and find a competent lawyer or even refer back to your banker who may be well connected. They will give you the guidelines and take you through the steps.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Most agents want you to use their lawyers as they are sure that the lawyers will hold back the commissions for them when the SPA is signed, etc. With your own lawyer, they are concerned you may weasel out paying their comms at the end of the day. Hence most agents take their cut of the comms as soon as the SPA is signed.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

If the agents selling the place for you is taking a cut as well from the buyer (1%), some of my seller friends will limit the comms to 1% unless a spectacular price was somehow met.

Sleeplesserf

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Risk Factors in JB Property

Anything below 500k, we cannot buy, period. Unless there is a discount from the developer. Stamp duty, lawyer fees, levy are not part of the sale price... base price of the property must exceed 500k.
I am viewing a resale Bukit Indah house this Sun. Asking Price is $470k. According to agent, the declared price can be stated as above $500k so I k qualify to buy (I'm Singaporean). Agent said `extra' payment is `refund thru lawyer `discount'. Is this correct?

Sleeplesserf

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most agents want you to use their lawyers as they are sure that the lawyers will hold back the commissions for them when the SPA is signed, etc. With your own lawyer, they are concerned you may weasel out paying their comms at the end of the day. Hence most agents take their cut of the comms as soon as the SPA is signed.
To pay the agent's commission at S&P stage seems risky. What if the Approval is NOT granted?

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am viewing a resale Bukit Indah house this Sun. Asking Price is $470k. According to agent, the declared price can be stated as above $500k so I k qualify to buy (I'm Singaporean). Agent said `extra' payment is `refund thru lawyer `discount'. Is this correct?

Sleeplesser Sir , do u hve e hse size n bank valuation? G&G?

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal

My two cents worth

It can be done and I have seen friends doing it before.

I wouldnt do that if I were you. I rather do everything proper and above board. This is to avoid any complication, if any. You must understand that what ever you agree separately with the seller is illegal from the Court of Law because you are under-declaring the actual sum. In my view, this document is actually null and void, false assurance. But again, the sum is quite nominal for the seller in wanting to cheat hence, the risk is also quite low.Unless, you really like the house so much that you cant resist for some specific reason.

You just got to weigh price the you are paying vs the benefit you are getting....

Cheers
N

Sleeplesserf

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wouldnt do that if I were you. I rather do everything proper and above board. This is to avoid any complication, if any. You must understand that what ever you agree separately with the seller is illegal from the Court of Law because you are under-declaring the actual sum. In my view, this document is actually null and void, false assurance. But again, the sum is quite nominal for the seller in wanting to cheat hence, the risk is also quite low.Unless, you really like the house so much that you cant resist for some specific reason. You just got to weigh price the you are paying vs the benefit you are getting...
Thank you for the good points raised. Yet to see the hse, and dun known if the lawyer I intend to engage will `help' in the under-declaration.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thank you for the good points raised. Yet to see the hse, and dun known if the lawyer I intend to engage will `help' in the under-declaration.

I won't go for it unless i know the seller well or unless i have my own law firm and the "discount/rebate" is documented and acted upon on the day of the S&P. As in you get the rebate on the date of signing the S&P. Even when getting a discount from developers, get everything in black and white before committing to safeguard oneself. Best wishes

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I remember a old property investor give me a tip when buying a property outside your home ground.

1. If got FH buy only FH.
2. If can afford the best location buy the best location.
3. Never buy and hope. (Hope the place bloom.)
4. If there is bank building nearby it is a good location.
5. Shopping stripe will be a dream come thru.
6. If you can imagine yourself living there for 3 months without leaving.
:p

I am no property expert, only thing i know is IT and even that i know very little so take whatever i say with buckets of salt.

I go where:

New development related to govt projects/initiatives are coming online
Where major road/link/transport infrastructure is taking place
Where large acquisiton of land (land grab) or land banking exercise is taking place
Underlying political reasons/support/contest for resources or developments as indication for strong growth in an area
Movement of legislative/parliament/power base
Underlying social reasons/cost of business for exodus to that area
Local political will/royalty support where applicable for states
Economic factors as a result or supporting the above
Where governments are increasing their investment. Where multiple governments are outdoing each other to invest.
Looming threat of global resources/inflation/hyperinflation. - Keep close look at price of rice and staples in the next 6 months.

To the average man in the street (people like me), the easiest way to tell is to see where the latest McDonalds, foreign bank and/or Jusco is setting up shop.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Buying Resale Properties in JB

Are there a lot of other fees/ charges for buying resale? Are we better off buying from developer then?