• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NEW - Would You Cycle 15km to Work?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
<iframe frameborder="0" width="420" height="245" style="border:none;" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/starterkit/servlet/fragment?id=782522&view=embed&videoWidth=400&videoHeight=225"/></iframe>

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I tried to embed the video using the code from that site but it somehow corrupted the first thread. You may delete it if you want.
There's an error in the code that the "embed" button generates. I corrected it and the embedding now works perfectly.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I wouldn't cycle to work in Singapore simply because it is too humid.

However, in Auckland, I pretty much cycle everywhere unless it's raining.

Average 250 km per week being a combination of commutes and recreational rides.

It used to be 600km but that was when I was racing too.

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
where is your famous bike?? :wink:

6433.jpg

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to cycle around 60km to and fro work once or twice a week decades ago. Damn dusty and during peak hours full of carbon monoxide. Not healthy.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wouldn't cycle to work in Singapore simply because it is too humid.

Yes, that's one of the roadblocks. Few companies have showers for their staff to use. It is however a very small problem to solve. Cycling infrastructure is expanding fast and with it the number of cyclists. More and more companies will tag along.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to cycle around 60km to and fro work once or twice a week decades ago. Damn dusty and during peak hours full of carbon monoxide. Not healthy.

Agree, cycling along the road during peak hours is no fun and it's dangerous. Park connectors and cycling tracks are a must.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree, cycling along the road during peak hours is no fun and it's dangerous. Park connectors and cycling tracks are a must.

If the weather is nice, air is fresh, road is safe, i don't mind. I enjoy the early morning rides but not the evening ones.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not very true in the past. Vehicles always give way to me. If not, sure kena middle fingered by me. :biggrin:
Nowadays, i can't be sure if it's still as safe. :o

In the past, motorists are more patient and not so reckless. Now it's different. It's very dangerous.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
How awesome if you could cycle through the Central Catchment. Right now there are only walking tracks but i think 1 or 2 tracks for cyclists to get through would encourage a lot of people to cycle to work. The environmental impact should be close to none. Look at by how much it will shorten the journey (2 red lines):

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the past, motorists are more patient and not so reckless. Now it's different. It's very dangerous.

I guess so too. Not much patience for me on the road nowadays too. :p

How awesome if you could cycle through the Central Catchment. Right now there are only walking tracks but i think 1 or 2 tracks for cyclists to get through would encourage a lot of people to cycle to work. The environmental impact should be close to none. Look at by how much it will shorten the journey (2 red lines):

I can hardly break a sweat or 2 with this sort of distance. :oIo::biggrin:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the weather is nice, air is fresh, road is safe, i don't mind. I enjoy the early morning rides but not the evening ones.
Nowadays too many uneven roads due to digging to lay new cables for ever expanding number of condos. Even without cars, can easily fall off if not careful with these road traps.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays too many uneven roads due to digging to lay new cables for ever expanding number of condos. Even without cars, can easily fall off if not careful with these road traps.

Roads conditions here are fine. I have yet to encounter a road that throws people off their bikes. Of course, some roads are bumpier than others but you can always ride a commuter or hybrid with bigger/softer tires if you put comfort before speed.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depend on location and traffic. If cycle distance same or par with driving. Cycle need to cycle more distance due to regulation that bicycle not allow on expressway. Eg. Woodland to Jurong West nearest or best route will be KJE if cannot cycle in KJE then U are fuck.
For me less than 10km.