• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Parliament to sit on Oct 10

ken_5389

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE new Parliament will sit on Oct 10, some five months after the general election.

Leader of the House Dr Ng Eng Hen, who is also Defence Minister, announced on Monday that the first session of Parliament will start at 3.30pm on Oct 10 with the election of the Speaker and the swearing in of 90 MPs. These comprise 87 MPs elected at the May 7 polls and three Non-Constituency MPs - the best performers among the opposition candidates who lost at the polls.

At 8.30pm pm on Oct 10, the President will deliver his opening address during which he will announce the priorities, policies and programmes of the Government for its five-year term.

Parliament will then debate the President's Address from Oct 17 to 21. -Straits Times

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very good timing leh. After transport fares hike on 8 Oct, convene parliament 10 Oct, like that, no need to debate about transport fares liao...done deal ...talk also change nothing.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is that unusually long for Parliament, more than 4 months.

Something wrong. For 4 month Singaporean don't have voice in Parliament no representative.
Normally new parliament sitting is about 2 month.
What is going on ?
PM LHL unable to manage?
Or Old LKY have health problem cannot attend the sitting?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
more likely the EP issue. Think latest 2morrow they must announce the candidates n the erection date.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
waiting to watch wp kick pap butt in debates

I voted for them in Joo Chiat. That WP Yee Jenn Jong guy looks and talks not bad in his walkabouts, and he actually lives here. That PAP Charles Chong guy is crap with his higher and lesser mortals. YJJ lost very narrowly but still got NCMP. Hope he and the rest of WP in Parliament don't disppoint me. I don't expect miracles or overhauls in Parliament. 8 against 80+ is still tough. But should show better results than last time 2 against 80+.

ken_5389

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that unusually long for Parliament, more than 4 months.

It is common in Sg. After GE2006 in May, the new Parliament sit only in November, half a year after polling day.
Strange, our PM is elected without Parliament sitting!

Another point, I think not many people aware of, the term of our Parliament starts from it first sitting, not the polling day.