• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Kopitiam Owners want to keep Food Costs low ...

Damien-Mystic

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...eep-food-costs-low-use-tech-solve-labour-woes

All businesses involve rent. As long as rent is high, business costs will be high. Furthermore, rent is fixed cost.

As for labour, especially in foodcourts, often is ownself people work. Furthermore, labour in foodcourts is variable cost. So labour costs not much issue in foodcourts.

As for cost of food materials, how often do we eat fish balls filled with starch/flour instead of real fish? How often do we eat goh hiang filled with starch/flour with no other condiments? And so stingy on vegetables don't know for what.

As for spending money on technology, why not instead spend the money to think of a way to create spaces for food vendors to grow their own vegetables? So when I ask for more vegetables in food courts, I won't have to see a fuck face scowling back at me. And I won't have to see any food vendor take out some bean sprouts from my noodle bowl when they think they gave me just a little too much bean sprouts. Or scoop back that pitiful amount from a porridge bowl that's only 3/4 filled.

Finally, not to forget, Reit stakeholders and shareholders will continue to expect their returns, nothing less.

Therefore, for Kopitiam, due primarily to rent, unlikely food prices will come down. Is just empty talk.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkieland is the world's most expensive city/country. So everything is expensive, not just food. Bringing food prices down doesn't address the true problem.

Food prices has always been cheap in Singapore since forever. You see a variety of hawker food instead of hawkers selling the standard pizza, hot dog, bagel, burger, kebab/tacos anywhere else in the developed world.

Keeping food prices low since forever is one the reasons why PAP has stayed in power since the beginning of Singapore. Hawkers absorb most of the inflation for the past 50 years, and pigswill economy rice has hovered around $2-3 a meal instead of $13 a meal.

MarcusTan

Alfrescian
Loyal
redwire-singapore-ntuc-foodfare-bread-toast-x3.png

Same Price, but Now “Ownself Toast Own Bread” at NTUC Foodfare Kopitiam

NTUC Foodfare is feeling the heat after complaints from consumers about its “ownself toast own bread” practice at a kopitiam at Block 361 Sembawang Crescent.

Angry kopi loti (coffee and bread) consumers received a rude shock in July when buying their usual takeaway, upon seeing a sign asking them to toast their own bread.

After queuing up to make their purchase, they were given bread slathered with kaya and butter and told to queue up to use the toaster at the corner of the kopitiam.

What really got them hopping mad is for all that extra effort, the price of the bread remained unchanged – S$1.20 for two slices.

According to the sign posted by NTUC Foodfare, the move is aimed at reducing waiting times.

However, consumers seem to be paying the price while not enjoying the benefits.

Cheesed off at the queue to use the toaster, several of them simply finish eating their un-toasted bread and leave.

Many feel the “self-service” culture is being taken too far.

Said one loti-eating uncle:

“Next time how? I ownself cook my own bak chor mee (minced meat noodles) ah?”

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP 101, "use tech" means , you going pay more sooner & getting lesser in your food at the moment, for you going buy larger portion; either way you are screwed. Just like the public transport companies , they 'helped', initially with the blah, blah, bah, in the improvement of maintenance & services; which they did. BUT!!, now, they are telling you. you wanna all that, IT IS GOING TO COST YOU MORE...PAY MORE.

So, what's new.."pussycat", sure they uses TECH...listen carefully, they use tack, to fish out more money from you.