• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Capital21 is still trying to secure an anchor tenant for this development. Some agents also co-purchase several units for investment.

Even with anchor tenant, there has a to be suffcient pull factor for people to go all the way there. As for agents, many Hutons agents and other Singaporean agents have been burnt , having to quickly unload units they booked before signing SPA, or just backing out . Their strategy is to book multiple units, then try to find a buyer before signing SPA, for small profit under table money.Many who booked Iskandar Residences 'backed out' in this manner and got their buyers to pay more for' choice units' .
My take is its not that simple investing in MY as its in SG, neighbourhood and surrounding area has a lot of effect on how a project may do.In time to come this location should do well, but why buy at tomorrow's prices? The wait may be long, more than 5 years.

Rocker

Alfrescian
Loyal
$818k RM for a 35x70 cluster with 2,400 sqft built up is value for money. Any idea how well are they selling, please?

I went there to KPOing... their corner lots and those South facing taken up. Left a few units with North facing and the bungalows.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went there to KPOing... their corner lots and those South facing taken up. Left a few units with North facing and the bungalows.

Wah so popular ah, without show-house some more? I just viewed the models, ate the buffet and went off liao.... Haha. I would prefer Desa Tebrau, Mount Austin over this, but Taman Gaya has quite a no. of gd shops. So it does have its supporters.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems that the change in the weekend in JB is better for quite a lot of people.

Johor back to work on Sunday

Monday, January 6, 2014

JOHOR BARU - Many, especially those in the private sector, flocked to government offices here on the first working Sunday for the state.

Technician Faizal Abdullah, when met at the Johor Baru Municipal Council office, said he was happy as he did not have to take a day off just to sort out payments and other issues with the council.

"Previously, I had to sacrifice an off day or several hours off just to sort out my payments but now it is easier as they are open on Sunday when I am off," he said.

Faizal, however, said the change was affecting his family time as his four children aged, between 10 and 18, had classes to attend on Sunday.

"There are pros and cons to it," he said.

Starting this year, the weekly off days for Johor were changed from Saturday and Sunday to Friday and Saturday following a decree made by the Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar.

Key account manager Tony Chong, 44, said he was happy as he could visit government offices on Sunday and not worry about taking leave.

"I do not have children so it is okay for me but I hope that banks can also follow suit as it would be easier if the weekly off days were standardised for all organisations," he said.

For prison warden Ibrahim Daud, 57, nothing has changed much as he is part of the thousands of civil servants who work on Sunday.

"The off days for us are Friday and Saturday and we still have to take time off work to sort out any issues that we may have with government departments," he said, adding that there was not much of a change in his weekly routine.

Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) public relations officer Aziz Ithnin said all government offices would be operating on Sunday like any other working day.

"For MBJB, all our counters and services will be made available to the public on Sunday.

"We are also monitoring the number of people visiting us on Sunday as we expect a spike, especially from those working in the private sector," he said.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gov't approves three new nodes for Iskandar

Jan 6, 2014 - PropertyGuru.com.my
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has approved the creation of three new nodes in Iskandar Malaysia in addition to Medini in Nusajaya, reported the media.

Notably, a node is an area dedicated to certain development or activities with those having projects there benefiting from certain privileges.

The additional nodes, which are expected to be announced this year, will likely be located in the Western Gate Development Zone, Eastern Gate Development Zone and Senai-Kulai growth corridor.

The Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) and the Johor government submitted the proposal for the additional nodes, which was presented at a meeting held at Putrajaya in Q4 2013.

Sources revealed that IRDA representatives and Johor officials had a hard time convincing the federal government to agree to the proposal prior to the meeting.

Nonetheless, “Najib was happy with the progress and development taking place in Iskandar Malaysia since its inception in 2006, and agreed to the proposal,” noted the sources.

The new nodes are expected to accelerate Iskandar Malaysia into the next level to be an international metropolis comes 2025, based on its Comprehensive Development Plan from 2006 to 2025.

“The nodes will cater for different economic activities and Irda is contemplating oil and gas, education, tourism, health and aviation,” added the sources.

IRDA also plans to set up the halal park in one of the nodes with firms involved in upstream and downstream halal-related activities.

Located in southern Johor, Iskandar Malaysia was launched on 4 November 2006 and spans 2,217 sq km, while Medini was created in 2007 covering 929.20 ha.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
2013 a big year for investments

[SINGAPORE] One could well surmise that the year 2013 was when Iskandar Malaysia - the country's first economic growth corridor - finally came of age in a big way.

The mega-project, which turned seven last November, reported some encouraging numbers as far as its investments were concerned, although some investors are treading with caution after the government announced measures to cool speculation in the region's red-hot property market.

Iskandar Malaysia, a 2,217 sq km region in southern Johor, is three times the size of neighbouring Singapore.

As at Oct 31 last year, Iskandar Malaysia had attracted RM129.4 billion (S$49.8 billion) in committed investments - 44 per cent of which has been realised so far - putting it on track to meet its lofty targets of RM383 billion by 2025 and GDP of US$93.3 billion.

This goal, said Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak in a recent speech, must be achieved in order to transform Iskandar into an international metropolis.

Ismail Ibrahim, chief executive of Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA), expects Iskandar Malaysia to secure RM22 billion in investments this year, beating the RM21 billion in 2013.

Singapore is still by far the biggest investor in Iskandar Malaysia, accounting for 16 per cent of its total foreign investment as at June last year.

Singaporeans from all walks of life are sitting up and taking notice of developments up north, their curiosity piqued after several household names in the Singapore corporate scene pumped big money into Iskandar Malaysia - a telling sign of the level of confidence in the project's staying power and viability.

Last February, Temasek Holdings and CapitaLand signed a deal with Iskandar Waterfront Holdings to build a S$3.2 billion township in Danga Bay, featuring luxury condominiums, shopping malls and bungalows.

Temasek and its Malaysian counterpart, Khazanah Nasional, are also jointly developing two wellness projects in Medini with a total development gross value of RM5.2 billion.

Medini is a mixed-use urban development that will feature a lifestyle and leisure cluster, a logistics village, a creative park and an international financial district, among others.

Many other Singapore firms are also striking while the iron is still hot. Last month, Iskandar Waterfront Holdings sold 15 ha of seafront land in Danga Bay for RM1.6 billion to Hao Yuan Investment, which is planning a RM8 billion development featuring, among others, peninsula Malaysia's tallest tower.

In October 2013, Singapore billionaire and former remisier king Peter Lim unveiled plans for his RM5.5 billion Vantage Bay project that will include twin towers and is set to become one of the tallest condominiums in Malaysia.

But it is Iskandar's property market that is getting the most attention, especially from Singapore-based investors.

According to developer UEM Sunrise, Singaporeans make up a hefty 74 per cent of foreigners who have snapped up its properties - a figure that surpasses all the other foreign buyers combined.

Most of these Singaporeans are people who either travel to Johor often for business or those who want a weekend home, according to UEM Sunrise CEO Wan Abdullah Wan Ibrahim.

UEM Sunrise is the master developer of Nusajaya, which is Iskandar Malaysia's administrative capital and billed as the region's crown jewel.

Overall, the greater number of investors flocking to Iskandar Malaysia has helped push home prices up considerably. The cost of bungalows at UEM's East Ledang development, for instance, has surged 44 per cent on average in the resale market since 2011.

But Malaysia is taking steps to prevent its own real estate inflation from emerging as well as appeasing locals who complain that they can barely afford to own a home.

In his Budget speech last October, Mr Najib - who is also the co-chairman of IRDA - doubled the minimum amount foreigners must spend on property and raised the capital gains tax to 30 per cent on homes they sell within five years.

Just how these latest rulings will impact the property market in Iskandar Malaysia remains to be seen, especially coupled with Johor's decision to impose a new tax of 4 to 5 per cent on foreigners who buy property - both commercial and residential - in the state to curb speculative fervour.

This is a big step up from the current rules which require foreigners to pay a one-off fee of RM10,000 regardless of the property's value.

Medini, meanwhile, could be seeing more investment in the coming years, with the zone exempt from the higher 30 per cent property gains tax.

In fact, Medini - home to a new Legoland theme park and hotel, and Britain's famous Pinewood Studios - has been exempt from property gains taxes since day one as part of the plan by IRDA to drive more investments there.

Looking ahead, the year 2014 could prove to be an even more monumental one for Iskandar Malaysia, should two major initial public offerings (IPO) be launched as planned.

Medini is looking to raise some RM2.5 billion when it eventually goes public. Iskandar Waterfront Holdings, meanwhile, was on track for a US$300 million IPO in the first quarter of this year, but has since delayed it to the end of 2014 to gauge the impact of the numerous property cooling measures.

From the government's perspective, it will do all it can to ensure Iskandar Malaysia remains vibrant and attractive to both local and foreign investors, Mr Najib said last month.

"The federal government is committed to ensuring the success of Iskandar Malaysia and we are working with the Johor government, the private and public sectors, and the people of Johor to ensure the economic region's growth," he said.

"It is vital to ensure that projects are successfully completed on time and within budget to build investor and public confidence in Iskandar Malaysia and attract more investments. This will generate a momentum that will bring about multiplier effects and sustainable economic activities," he said.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really wonder how a 'high end' mall with atas prices is going to make it in an area that doesnt have any high end housing. Also it is not a place that is worth going to, all the way, when there is nothing much else there.

arrrhh... bingo!! i saw the low cost housing next to capital 21 site last week. i was like 'huh'? this place got people go starbucks every day meh?

Last edited:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really wonder how a 'high end' mall with atas prices is going to make it in an area that doesnt have any high end housing. Also it is not a place that is worth going to, all the way, when there is nothing much else there. Right now, Tampoi is a place locals go to to shop as opposed to BI which is higher end, more expensive and caters to foreigners and SPRs.Marketing in Kipmart is much cheaper. As for shopping, its way out there and also has Angsana as competition. At the prices they are launching the commercial, rents will be high.Its going to be hard for business to survive.Although there are new condos in the vicinity, the residents are unlikely to have the same spending power as those who live in other higher end areas like HH, BI and EL. Tampoi is now a cheaper option for locals who are priced out of the more expensive localities, but Tampoi is still more EX than Kulai and Senai as it is still preferred due to proximity to JB and Nusajaya.

I agree. It's likely to be some of the agents trying to offload their units booked earlier by drumming up interest.
The new launches are really slowing down.
As for high value anchor tenants, I agree that it's unlikely to pull crowds given the profile of the surroundings. A good example will be cold storage at Plaza Pelangi.
About 40 percent of that place is empty. The surrounding crowd can't really justify the rentals and returns.

teega

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it legal for Huttons to do that?

Even with anchor tenant, there has a to be suffcient pull factor for people to go all the way there. As for agents, many Hutons agents and other Singaporean agents have been burnt , having to quickly unload units they booked before signing SPA, or just backing out . Their strategy is to book multiple units, then try to find a buyer before signing SPA, for small profit under table money.Many who booked Iskandar Residences 'backed out' in this manner and got their buyers to pay more for' choice units' .
My take is its not that simple investing in MY as its in SG, neighbourhood and surrounding area has a lot of effect on how a project may do.In time to come this location should do well, but why buy at tomorrow's prices? The wait may be long, more than 5 years.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it legal for Huttons to do that?

With their balloting system , giving agents priority over other buyers in the queue and telling buyers they can back out with full refund, this is definitely possible, whether its legal its something else. Its not confined to oen agency, this is happening in the market. Authorities arent acting as its not a local project.The money changes hands unofficially so the question of legality doesnt arise. All an agent has to do is say he's changed his mind about buying a particular unit but he's found a buyer to replace him. On paper buyer pays same price but buyer has to pay him an agreed amount of cash unofficially. Usually its not a huge amount, like 20 or 30K, but if they do this fro multiple units, its a windfall for them.Easy money.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gov't approves three new nodes for Iskandar
Jan 6, 2014 - PropertyGuru.com.my

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has approved the creation of three new nodes in Iskandar Malaysia in addition to Medini in Nusajaya, reported the media.

Notably, a node is an area dedicated to certain development or activities with those having projects there benefiting from certain privileges.

The additional nodes, which are expected to be announced this year, will likely be located in the Western Gate Development Zone, Eastern Gate Development Zone and Senai-Kulai growth corridor.

The Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) and the Johor government submitted the proposal for the additional nodes, which was presented at a meeting held at Putrajaya in Q4 2013.

Sources revealed that IRDA representatives and Johor officials had a hard time convincing the federal government to agree to the proposal prior to the meeting.

Nonetheless, “Najib was happy with the progress and development taking place in Iskandar Malaysia since its inception in 2006, and agreed to the proposal,” noted the sources.

The new nodes are expected to accelerate Iskandar Malaysia into the next level to be an international metropolis comes 2025, based on its Comprehensive Development Plan from 2006 to 2025.

“The nodes will cater for different economic activities and Irda is contemplating oil and gas, education, tourism, health and aviation,” added the sources.

IRDA also plans to set up the halal park in one of the nodes with firms involved in upstream and downstream halal-related activities.

Located in southern Johor, Iskandar Malaysia was launched on 4 November 2006 and spans 2,217 sq km, while Medini was created in 2007 covering 929.20 ha.

Farah Wahida, Editor of PropertyGuru, wrote this story. To contact her about this or other stories email [email protected]

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/prop...3/gov-t-approves-three-new-nodes-for-iskandar

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the nodes are announced in 2014, I'm expecting more investments into non-property related industries e.g. education, tourism and health (Western Gate), oil & gas (Eastern Gate), and aviation (Senai-Kulai).

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes I remember a Huttons agent pulling that stunt on me once for a 'hot' launch in the Sg CBD couple years back. He told me because project was so hot, will need to ballot. Then he says that because he has a "close relationship" with someone inside the developer company from a past project, he has privileged access to a number of units that are allotted to him and some of his inner circle which need not go through balloting. He builds up the tempo closer to the launch date by saying he can offer me one of those units from that lot. Of course you feel excited to be able to by-pass the ballot. Then on launch day, he assures me the unit i had selected is blocked for me so i dont have balllot. Subsequently, as balloting gets underway, he calls me to say there are some 'problems' and the developer now wants a higher price for the unit I selected! Of course I smelt a rat and told him to forget it and there will always be other fish in the ocean. It's however easy to get caught up in the frenzy especially at that time when the market was sizzling and I'm sure many others would have felt obliged to pay the higher amount demanded after having their expectations built up in the run-up to launch.

LordEthan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia listed as the third best place to retire

BY T. AVINESHWARAN

Email

Facebook

PETALING JAYA: InternationalLiving.com’s annual Global Retirement Index 2014 has listed Malaysia as the third best place to retire for North Americans.

The annual index which is now in its 23rd year, listed 24 countries and Panama came out tops, while South American nation Ecuador came in second in the index that was released two days ago.

According to InternationalLiving.com, Malaysia is the best place to retire in Asia.

In last year's global retirement index, Malaysia was also placed third and in 2012, they were fourth behind countries like Mexico, Panama and Ecuador.

The report highlighted some tourist attractions in Malaysia such as the beaches, hill stations, mountain retreats, as the perks for those who want to retire here.

For most retirees, health care is essential and according to the index, Penang and Kuala Lumpur, provide some of the best health care facilities in the country.

"The hospitals are top-notch and the physicians speak English, having been either been trained or completed their postgraduate studies in the US or UK - which makes the cost of health care all the more incredible.

"You can see a specialist without any need for an appointment for as little as US$11 (RM36.20). Just turn up. It’s the same with dentists," said InternationalLiving.com

Other aspects that were mentioned were the first class infrastructure, high-speed connectivity and cable TV.

"The country’s diverse ethnic mix makes being a stranger here easy.

"Whether you live in bohemian Penang or Kuala Lumpur - the country’s hip capital, you’ll meet friendly locals who are happy to stop and chat and welcome you into their home," it said.

The Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme is also beneficial for retirees as it allows non-Malaysians to stay in Malaysia on a social visit pass for 10 years, and it’s automatically renewable for an additional 10 years when it expires.

Other countries such as Guatemala, Malta, Brazil, Spain, Cambodia and Thailand were part of the 24 nations listed as retirement havens.

According to InternationalLiving.com, all 24 countries in the index were in close contention for the number one spot, but Panama nicked it due to its best range of retiree benefits.

"In the past year, Panama has introduced new visas, which makes it easier to gain residence there, and the country has made major advances in infrastructure,” said the website.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Market seems to be quite quiet recently.

Seems like the buying support in Iskandar is still quite weak.
1 cooling measure is all it takes.
In Singapore you need at least 8 cooling measures before it starts to take effect

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Market seems to be quite quiet recently.

Seems like the buying support in Iskandar is still quite weak.
1 cooling measure is all it takes.
In Singapore you need at least 8 cooling measures before it starts to take effect

I thought the cooling measures were quite heavy on foreign buyers, particularly the >$1mil RM requirement, when most of the properties are way below $1mil RM. It is like telling foreigners in Singapore that they can only buy >S$3mil properties when most properties are below S$2mil. Most forum members here are already in renovation stage or have already settled in. I think buying interest will return in Q2 this year.