• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
More jobs in JB, more inflation coming too.

Johor banks on Iskandar for further growth
Apr 17, 2013
By Farah Wahida

Johor continues to transform into a development hot spot, particularly with major investments being put by local and foreign firms into Iskandar Malaysia.

Between 2008 and 2012, Iskandar raked in RM106 billion worth of investments — a figure expected to grow to RM383 billion by 2025. Along with this, 500,000 new jobs have been created and this will likely triple over the next five years, reported The Star.

Pulai MP candidate Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed, noted: “The development that is taking shape in the south of Johor has impacted the economy positively, and the effect would be greater over the next five years. The spillover effects of the development would be felt in the entire state over the next 10 to 20 years.”

Meanwhile, the state’s gross domestic product (GDP) is set to expand between seven and eight percent in the next 30 years.

In the manufacturing sector alone, RM35 billion in investments came in from 2008 to 2012, comprising RM22 billion from the foreign direct investments (FDI) and RM13 billion from local players, according to data from the Malaysian Investment Development Authority.

This growth is mainly driven by relocation by several labour-intensive companies from Singapore, in a bid to reduce overall cost.

“What has been proposed and planned for Johor such as Iskandar Malaysia is good. It normally takes three to four years to see results, and now the results are clearly visible. There are jobs, new and high-paying ones, and more jobs are expected at Iskandar Malaysia,” commented Johor Baru MP Candidate Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad.

“The next phase is about job creation and variety of jobs, not just the traditional jobs, but a wider scope which would no longer be retail-based.”

Nur Jazlan believes that the new opportunities to come should help Malaysians “elevate their living standards and spur the local economy further. There is a multiplier effect out of any big development. It is all about taking advantage of it and growing with it. It is, in fact, an opportunity for them to change their careers.”

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-news/2013/4/8903/johor-banks-on-iskandar-for-further-growth

Last edited:

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to southkey launch of its mix condo and commercial project today. Selling very well. People queued 3 days for the commercial units. JB mid valley ready in 3 years. Exciting..

teoky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to southkey launch of its mix condo and commercial project today. Selling very well. People queued 3 days for the commercial units. JB mid valley ready in 3 years. Exciting..

I drove past that place couple of weeks ago. I hope they will widen Jalan Bakar Batu as it is quite small.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Construction of 6 lanes (3 lanes each way) road in progress. Complete in 18 months. You will see that the vegetations/trees have been cleared.

Heard from developer that flyover linking EDL directly with the megamall will be built.

I drove past that place couple of weeks ago. I hope they will widen Jalan Bakar Batu as it is quite small.

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kuok Bros is my favourite developer, though I feel their quality has declined from 20 years ago. Have bought 2 properties from them in the past 2 years in 'Little Japan'...... Haha

That's great! How's the development coming along? I understand that it was launched with much fanfare last year.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar, a South-east Asian success story
It's an example of what makes emerging Asia an exciting investment destination
By mark mobius
Published April 23, 2013

OUR emerging markets team isn't too keen on following crowds. Part and parcel of Templetons' contrarian approach is travelling to places others don't and thinking about the long-term potential in specific industries and companies that aren't even on others' radar screens. One place we've had our eye on for several years now is Iskandar Malaysia, which has been attracting more investor attention recently. I think it is becoming a success story in South-east Asia.

Iskandar is an economic development zone covering 221,634 hectares (2,216.34 sq km) within the southern-most part of Johor, Malaysia, and is named after the late Sultan of Johor, Sultan Iskandar. The region, which includes the city of Johor Baru, encompasses an area about three times the size of Singapore and twice the size of Hong Kong. A product of Malaysian government planning, it contains five development zones and includes a vision for a city that incorporates the latest environmentally friendly or "green" technology in its buildings and landscapes, including renewable energy sources. By 2025, it's expected that about three million people will be living in the area.

In 2012, Legoland opened its first Asian theme park within the region and a diverse variety of business, education and entertainment venues from petrochemicals to food processing to a motor-speedway are opening or in development. It's encouraging that demand is spread across retail, residential and industrial properties. The latter should particularly help bring more economic and job growth to the area.

Of course, when people - particularly foreign investors - flock to a place, it can drive up real estate prices beyond the reach of local residents, but we don't see a bubble building up in Iskandar and property prices are currently reasonable. In the long run, local people in Johor who currently own property could benefit from a rise in their assets.

We think Iskandar is a good example of diligent planning and foresight on the part of the Malaysian government and that the area has now reached what could be described as a "take-off" point. Developments should start to become self-generating, creating a virtuous circle. Singapore, located across a narrow waterway, has a vested interest in Iskandar's success. We think that as long as the close cooperation between Malaysia and Singapore continues, it will be a win-win situation for both countries.

Recently, the two nations announced plans to strengthen economic ties via plans that included further cooperation developing Iskandar, and a high-speed rail link between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. We think there's great potential for intra-regional trade and development in South-east Asia, and this is a prime example of that trend.

I've been to Iskandar many times over the past few years, and I've seen an incredible change in the area since the government built a new complex there and the Legoland theme park opened, which really put the area on the map. More than a million visitors are expected to visit the park in 2013, and plans are in the works for a nearby hotel and waterpark.

Iskandar is an example of why we find emerging Asia to be an exciting investment destination. If you look at Asian economies' growth rates versus the developed markets generally, you'll see the divergence. For 2013, the International Monetary Fund projects GDP growth in developing Asia at 7.1 per cent, versus 1.4 per cent for developed markets. In the long run, we believe strong economic growth should eventually translate into higher earnings growth in developing Asia.

Encouraging trend

Inter-Asian trade is on the rise, which we also find to be an encouraging trend. We're seeing increased exports from Asia to China, with exports to the US falling as a percentage of the total, meaning there is less dependence on the US for export growth, and buoyant demand from emerging economies could offset the influence of weakness in the developed world.

Demographics represent another interesting trend which creates a variety of potential investment opportunities, particularly related to the consumer sector. If you examine population pyramids, you'll see that the demographics of emerging Asia indicate a great number of young people, which equates to a lower dependency ratio. As at

2010, the pyramid was skewed younger, whereas in Japan and the US the elderly formed a larger percentage of the total population. These trends are expected to continue diverging.

An issue that could be a double-edged sword for Malaysia and its Asian neighbours is Japan's recently more aggressive policy stance to reinflate its economy. Some believe a weaker yen could create a so-called "currency war" as other nations try to devalue their own currencies to remain competitive in the export market.

However, a weaker yen could also dive investor flows in emerging Asia. We are already seeing stock markets around the world absorbing the impact of all this central bank money printing, and Japan is adding more fuel to the fire. So, as equity investors, we view these actions as positive for regional stock markets, at least in the short run. We believe that the fundamentals support our optimism about emerging Asia broadly, but I have to emphasise that we don't generally apply a top-down approach in our stock selection process. Iskandar is just one example of how we've literally seen a city grow from the ground up and, with it, investment possibilities.

The writer is a leading emerging markets fund manager

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/pre...andar-south-east-asian-success-story-20130423

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's great! How's the development coming along? I understand that it was launched with much fanfare last year.

I bought terraces instead of Molek Pine condo. Being Singaporean, I still prefer landed, Haha. One completed, and waiting for renovation works to start next week. The other property will TOP in 1 year's time. Maybe rent out or resell, I havent decided yet. Also hoping that property prices will rise with Sunway's maiden foray into the area in 4Q 2013 & completion of 'Little Japan' concept.....

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if this new have been posted
JV by Kuok Bros and Khazanah
http://www.nst.com.my/nation/genera...jaya-1.262102?localLinksEnabled=false/Article

This is significant for 2 reasons:
1. Timing: very few business people will want ro commit to a new business venture so close to elections, so this can only reflect Kuok's confidence in Iskandar.
2. Kuok has in recent years been divesting his business interests in M'sia on general and exiting the country. The fact that he's now investing once again is another sign of confidence there's money to be made in Iskandar.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is significant for 2 reasons:
1. Timing: very few business people will want ro commit to a new business venture so close to elections, so this can only reflect Kuok's confidence in Iskandar.
2. Kuok has in recent years been divesting his business interests in M'sia on general and exiting the country. The fact that he's now investing once again is another sign of confidence there's money to be made in Iskandar.

Kuok has always been in JB properties over the years, though it has kept quite a low profile till the last 2 years. Taman Molek, Taman Redang, Taman Ponderosa, City Square are all developed through Kuok Group. Its flagship property company, Pelangi was forcibly acquired by the Govt but Berinda remained under Kuok's hands for the developments above.

Background as follows:- http://mavrkyprojectphoto.blogspot.sg/2005/11/goodbye-pelangi-welcome-berinda.html

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I bought terraces instead of Molek Pine condo. Being Singaporean, I still prefer landed, Haha. One completed, and waiting for renovation works to start next week. The other property will TOP in 1 year's time. Maybe rent out or resell, I havent decided yet. Also hoping that property prices will rise with Sunway's maiden foray into the area in 4Q 2013 & completion of 'Little Japan' concept.....

I am new to that area. How have prices moved over the past year?
The Japanese are coming in droves; Singapore and Malaysia.

You should do well!

Serenity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar, a South-east Asian success story
It's an example of what makes emerging Asia an exciting investment destination
By mark mobius
Published April 23, 2013

OUR emerging markets team isn't too keen on following crowds. Part and parcel of Templetons' contrarian approach is travelling to places others don't and thinking about the long-term potential in specific industries and companies that aren't even on others' radar screens. One place we've had our eye on for several years now is Iskandar Malaysia, which has been attracting more investor attention recently. I think it is becoming a success story in South-east Asia.

Iskandar is an economic development zone covering 221,634 hectares (2,216.34 sq km) within the southern-most part of Johor, Malaysia, and is named after the late Sultan of Johor, Sultan Iskandar. The region, which includes the city of Johor Baru, encompasses an area about three times the size of Singapore and twice the size of Hong Kong. A product of Malaysian government planning, it contains five development zones and includes a vision for a city that incorporates the latest environmentally friendly or "green" technology in its buildings and landscapes, including renewable energy sources. By 2025, it's expected that about three million people will be living in the area.

In 2012, Legoland opened its first Asian theme park within the region and a diverse variety of business, education and entertainment venues from petrochemicals to food processing to a motor-speedway are opening or in development. It's encouraging that demand is spread across retail, residential and industrial properties. The latter should particularly help bring more economic and job growth to the area.

Of course, when people - particularly foreign investors - flock to a place, it can drive up real estate prices beyond the reach of local residents, but we don't see a bubble building up in Iskandar and property prices are currently reasonable. In the long run, local people in Johor who currently own property could benefit from a rise in their assets.

We think Iskandar is a good example of diligent planning and foresight on the part of the Malaysian government and that the area has now reached what could be described as a "take-off" point. Developments should start to become self-generating, creating a virtuous circle. Singapore, located across a narrow waterway, has a vested interest in Iskandar's success. We think that as long as the close cooperation between Malaysia and Singapore continues, it will be a win-win situation for both countries.

Wonder why the author did not disclose his interest over at Leisure Farm?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am new to that area. How have prices moved over the past year?
The Japanese are coming in droves; Singapore and Malaysia.

You should do well!

Thanks. Prices have moved too, but the area is mainly supported by locals (for landed) and Japanese (for Molek Pines condo), and not Singaporeans. Terrace price has increased from RM 508k (phase 1) to RM 698K (phase 2) to RM 798K (phase 3), following the opening of EDL.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. Prices have moved too, but the area is mainly supported by locals (for landed) and Japanese (for Molek Pines condo), and not Singaporeans. Terrace price has increased from RM 508k (phase 1) to RM 698K (phase 2) to RM 798K (phase 3), following the opening of EDL.

This is the part I cannot take. Same house design as phase 1 houses and just meters away but $200k RM more :*: I gave up and went over to Desa Tebrau instead.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kuok’s investment may spur more foreign interest in Iskandar

24-4-2013

PETALING JAYA: “Sugar King” Robert Kuok's entry into Iskandar Malaysia will create a ripple effect, drawing more interest from international investors and creating new jobs and opportunities in the region.

“Because Kuok has close ties with China, more investments are also likely to pour into Iskandar Malaysia from the world's second-largest economy,” an industry observer told StarBiz.

Kuok had recently invested in a 5.06ha freehold land in Puteri Harbour, Johor, for about RM182mil.

The observer said the tycoon's entry into the region, incidentally his birthplace, would draw more international attention to the economic development in the southern region.

He also pointed out that Australian property mogul Lang Walker had invested in Iskandar because of Kuok's recommendation.

It was reported that Walker was alerted to the potential of Iskandar by Kuok, his partner in the Collins Square redevelopment project in Melbourne.
“With Kuok's help, Walker identified two sites in Johor Baru Lido Beach and Senibong, both of which were driven by the construction of a new coastal highway,” said the report.

Aside from Kuok's endorsement in the region spreading to the international business sphere, Iskandar is also set to be a beneficiary ensuing the inflow of these investments, he noted.

The observer said: “Johor's job growth prospects continue to rise on the strength of investments into Iskandar Malaysia.”

An analyst told StarBiz that the authorities would create job opportunities to support the ecosystem there.

She said the boom in different sectors like manufacturing from automobile manufacturing plants, niche developments like Motorsports City and services industries for resorts and theme parks would create various job opportunities.
She said there would be a snowball effect, as the jobs created would fuel further advancement in Iskandar.

She expected transaction prices in the region to head north, now that a record high per sq ft (psf) selling price of RM334 had been set for the Puteri Harbour land.

However, she was quick to note that the said piece of land was located in a prime spot and was one of the last few pieces fronting the marina.
The price came at a premium compared with the RM330 psf valued by Messrs Assetz Sdn Bhd.

Another analyst, meanwhile, said that while the RM182mil investment might not be as big as other transactions in the region, it was a mark of confidence from Kuok and a comeback of sorts, as the billionaire had stopped investing actively in his homeland for close to two decades.

More: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...7&sec=business