• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Creation Church collected S$21 million in fewer than 24 hours

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE congregation of New Creation Church has spoken again.

In fewer than 24 hours last Sunday, members of the megachurch donated an impressive $21.1 million towards its multimillion-dollar building fund over four services held at Suntec City and Golden Village Marina.

The sum breaks the church's record of over $18.8 million raised last February, and $18 million raised in April 2008.

In comparison, last year's President's Challenge raised a total of about $10 million for 37 beneficiaries.

When my paper broke the news last year that the church raised about $19 million in a day with about 21,300 people in attendance - what the church said was a "new record attendance and collection done during a worldwide recession" - it caused an uproar among netizens in online forums.

It also spawned reports in The Straits Times on the church's pay schemes for employees.

Checks last year revealed that the church paid one employee between $500,001 and $550,000 in its previous financial year, but the church did not confirm if the amount went to senior pastor Joseph Prince.

my paper understands that Mr Prince stopped taking a monthly salary around the middle of last year.

This year, a record number of over 22,000 people attended the special service last Sunday,
called Miracle Seed Sunday.

Church members donated money to help fund the construction of the Integrated Hub complex.

Located at Vista Xchange at one-north in Buona Vista, the civic and cultural complex will house a 5,000-seat auditorium when it is completed in 2012.

It is being co-developed by Rock Productions, the commercial- development arm of New Creation Church, andmall developer CapitaMalls Asia.

New Creation Church will be the auditorium's anchor tenant and hire the venue for its services
on Sundays.

With this new amount, the total sum raised so far by the church for the project stands at about $259 million, or more than half the $500 million needed.

Yesterday, Mr Prince announced how much was raised during a celebration service.

He told an estimated 20,000 churchgoers that the church did not receive "a single $1-million cheque".

The sum raised, he said, was achieved thanks to a concerted effort by the entire congregation.

During the service, Mr Prince also thanked the congregation for its contribution, adding that the amount raised was a miracle, as members were given only a week's notice before the special service.

The church's website said there was "clear accountability".

Five external auditors from Deloitte & Touche were at the site to observe the donation, and at least two were present to witness the counting of cash and recording processes at all times, it was reported on the site.

New Creation Church member Stephanie Siow, 24, explained that people gave because they had faith.

"I think giving money is a personal choice and we should not judge what people do with their money," she said.

Engineer Mark Zhang, 26, who is Christian but does not attend any church, said: "As long as there was no impropriety, such as brainwashing and blatant pressuring, I don't feel that there's a problem."

[email protected]

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Makes U wonder why they need so much money for. I know many Buddhist temple gives free food, Many Taoist temples double up as old folks home and a few mega churches build shopping malls

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Look at the pricetag on their suit and you should know the answer.

Makes U wonder why they need so much money for. I know many Buddhist temple gives free food, Many Taoist temples double up as old folks home and a few mega churches build shopping malls

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"clear accountability"? it can be staged.

imho, it seems like church are a easier source of income?:rolleyes:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
no single $1mil cheque,,,,, only $999,999 because it is not $1mil,,,, just as $50,000/mth is not same as $500,000/year in salary,,,,,,,,,,

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhCHdBB3zY

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqhCHdBB3zY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqhCHdBB3zY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Prince is very good at acknowledging the suzerainty of the PAPzis and can thus get away with more than usual. CHC could take a leaf from his book. Maybe CHC could field a mass display item for the next NDP, like Soka (fka Nichiren Shoshu) has done every year for umpteen years.

And, of course, have 'China Wine' sing. 'This is home, truly....'

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the numbers are true but I wonder how long they can tahan. Raised almost 60million leow leh. That's almost 3k per church goers.

If your colleague suddenly bring home-cooked food to work and refuse to contribute to the farewell gifts for another colleague, you will know what is happening.

jw5

Loyal
Instead of building an "integrated hub", why don't they give the money to the poor and needy?

Wait a minute, I already know the answer.

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally I am really impressed by the ability of the Pastors to persuade the congregation to donate so much.Since the church uses these donation to build their own new church, i think it is ok as CCC really needed extra space for their growing church congregation.

Every churches, mosques or temples have their own pirorities on how to use their own congregations' donations.

I remember when i was young there was this tiny chinese temple in Geylang Lorong 4(now lorong 4 has disappeared)which often organised charity events for our less fortunate which our school St john ambulance club often helps out. The temple is quite dilapidated and old but instead of using the devotees donations to rebuild or refunished the temple, they used them to buy groceries and hongbaos for the needy every CNY or the deities birthdays. I remembered there were leaking on the temple roofs during the charity event and some of the gods statues got wet. But the charity thing goes on until i left my school and the roofs remained the same state. Haha... So for this particular temple, they choose to use the donations to assist the needy instead .

It all depends on the devotees or congregation to see how their money is going to be spent. In this new age, i think people now have different pirorities. What they see worthwhile and expression of their new faith now is no longer the same as their parents and grandparents did before.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Going to church no more makes you a Christian than standing in a garage makes you a car.