• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Netizens bemused by SMRT's explanation of Expo incident.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Netizens bemused by SMRT's explanation of Expo incident.

According to SMRT, the old man who was found unconscious on the tracks on Saturday had wandered onto the tracks on his own and was not hit by the train.

Netizens were bemused by this explanation by SMRT as it seems to absolve the operator of all blame.

Missing from the statement was an explanation of how the old man managed to evade attention of the station control, climb over the platform door and walk 900 meters on the track in the direction of Tanah Merah station.

One netizen, Guo Xiongwei, wrote:

"This 70-yr old man must be super agile (to climb over the screen doors), equipped with an invisibility cloak (to WALK 900m along the raised track & evade CCTVs) & then get discovered.
Remember that video constantly playing in MRT stations to be careful & observe/report strange happenings to avoid a bomb attk?
What is wrong with SMRT mgmt?"

Another, Rozee Furozee, surmised:

"I guess besides the cemetery, the train tracks is another place that is NOT crowded."

So how will LTA respond to this?

Contrary to what some have condemned as speculation built on a lack of empathy, this is a valid question as it relates security of our train tracks and trains.

If an old man can climb over the 1.5m high door and walk 400m undetected, what do you think a terrorist hell bent on wrecking damage can and will do?

That said, we hope SMRT will be fair and look at possibility of Management lapses instead pinning the blame on the rank and file staff.

- http://therealsingapore.com/content/netizens-bemused-smrts-explanation-expo-train-incident

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have a question.. Did the fake hike protest effect some consequences to the smrt?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This incident is no big deal. On the London Underground, around 100 people kill themselves on the tracks annually. It's simply part and parcel of life.

People who kill themselves on the SMRT system should be charged posthumously and their estates debited for the cost of the disruption they caused.

Those who survive should be placed before a judge and charged accordingly.

ChenHaoNan

Alfrescian
Loyal
This incident is no big deal. On the London Underground, around 100 people kill themselves on the tracks annually. It's simply part and parcel of life.

People who kill themselves on the SMRT system should be charged posthumously and their estates debited for the cost of the disruption they caused.

Those who survive should be placed before a judge and charged accordingly.
If the victim is Someone close to you then we talk.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was from 2005, things may have changed since then.

How to ensure security in MRT station if CCTV cameras have no film?
http://bobafett81.livejournal.com/367712.html

How to ensure security in MRT station if CCTV cameras have no film?

The Straits Times
September 26, 2005

I have just experienced an event which leaves me very frustrated, upset and troubled.

Despite the recent publicity to encourage commuters and SMRT staff to report suspicious-looking packages to the authorities, it is evident that the promotional efforts did not have a significant impact.

My brother was waiting for a westbound train at Kembangan MRT station one evening. He was carrying a huge black backpack which contained an IBM laptop.

In his absent-mindedness, he boarded the train without his backpack, which he left on a stone bench at the platform. It was only when he was near Eunos station that he realised he had left behind his backpack.

He alighted to return to Kembangan station on an east-bound train. He had also phoned me about his problem. I notified the Kembangan control station by phone that there was a backpack at the platform and requested that someone retrieve it.

Unfortunately, the backpack was no longer there. I arrived at the scene 10 minutes after my brother's call and spoke to the SMRT staff.

My intention was to find out whether the CCTV cameras had footage of anyone leaving the station with my brother's backpack.

As Kembangan MRT station has only one exit and there were two CCTV camera's pointing in that direction, it was logical to assume that they recorded the scene.

One SMRT officer dodged my brother's request for the camera's footage. We were told that the cameras had no film in them and that they were only used to screen commuters. We were told the cameras were off at that time.

According to the SMRT officer, this was to cut costs. The CCTV cameras facing the platforms were not able to record the waiting areas or the stairs that lead to the exit.

With growing concerns over bomb threats all over the world, it is the duty of SMRT to take the basic precaution of having films in the CCTV cameras to monitor and record activity in the station.

The failure to notice an unattended bag on the station platform highlights the ineffectiveness of the campaign to urge commuters to 'be the first to report' suspicious objects.

The London bombing in July proved that undetected baggage can be destructive and deadly.

The attempt by Al Qaeda to bomb Yishun MRT station in 2002 shows that Singapore may be a target for terrorism.

Prevention is always better than cure but the SMRT authorities seem to prefer cost-cutting measures to tightening up security and taking practical steps such as leaving the cameras on with films in them.

Although I feel the pinch in my pocket due to the loss of the laptop, the shiver in my spine is felt more strongly when I think of the 'preventive measures' that SMRT claims to have taken to ensure the safety of commuters.

Yvette Ong (Ms)

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WTF!!!! Elderly man found unconscious near MRT track 'not hit by train'?????????

unanswered question is how the fark did an old man find his way onto the track??? why shittimes did not post this question.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/elderly-ma...ar-mrt-track--not-hit-by-train-011512850.html

A man in his 70s, who was found lying unconscious near the train track between Tanah Merah and Expo MRT station on Saturday afternoon, was not hit by a train as reported by local media earlier on Saturday evening.

It was also reported that the man was conveyed conscious to the hospital. However, police have now clarified that the victim remains unconscious.

The police reportedly made the clarifications in another statement to The Straits Times on Saturday night.

It said that the man was found lying on “the outer side of the track, in the direction of the Expo MRT Station”.

SMRT reportedly confirmed this too, they said, “the train heading in that direction was stopped, in accordance with operating procedures and the man duly moved to safety”.

The victim also had head injuries and multiple cuts on his body, according to the police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force respectively.

Last edited:

ChenHaoNan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: WTF!!!! Elderly man found unconscious near MRT track 'not hit by train'?????????

What actually happened? How come no head no tail?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u mean once in 50 years?

That is over, the 50 year old thing, cannot use old excuses like that, together with ponding...etc. The new excuse is isolated incident, it is not everyday an old man walk on the track or drop on the track or slide onto the track or levitate onto the...whatever, so this is isolated. So happened that the brains of the 60% are isolated from the head too...:rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
That is over, the 50 year old thing, cannot use old excuses like that, together with ponding...etc. The new excuse is isolated incident, it is not everyday an old man walk on the track or drop on the track or slide onto the track or levitate onto the...whatever, so this is isolated. So happened that the brains of the 60% are isolated from the head too...:rolleyes:

Why the fuss over some old fart who is past his "use by" date? :rolleyes: