• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need advise between fresh or frozen meat

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i
they could have asked me to help teach them about cuts and meat handling before they fire up their newly purchased stainless steel grill. when things go wrong, they blame it on the meat.

This might sound funny but I learn all these grilling when I was working in the kitchen during my school days, spending more than 6 hours straight just in front of a hot fire and getting burnt from time to time to get the meat right. But i have learnt.

Cooking in any way is not as simple as what many had thought it is. But I guess some would rather "grill" their ego than just ask for help and hence, make ignorant and laughable statements and actions.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Do you even know what is grill or how to grill?

and do you know that any meat, would have certain amount of mosture in them?

by putting up such a post, I guess you dont know both.

Enjoy your ignorant cooking.

You haven't seen a oven pan with grove to collect liquid don't you.:rolleyes:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This might sound funny but I learn all these grilling when I was working in the kitchen during my school days, spending more than 6 hours straight just in front of a hot fire and getting burnt from time to time to get the meat right. But i have learnt.

Cooking in any way is not as simple as what many had thought it is. But I guess some would rather "grill" their ego than just ask for help and hence, make ignorant and laughable statements and actions.

Ok, we hear your bragging, so tell us.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, read a report somewhere in China the pig farmer they inject water before selling them.

With the scum overflowing almost every corner of our little red dot, we have to be little bit more :rolleyes:cautious. And since steak can be eaten medium, I like to be extra carefull. Don't want to end up eating medium beef which have been frozen for 3 months or more.

There are many unscrupulous importers/exporters around nowadays. No one can be a better judge than yourself now.

Trust your tastebuds dude. Did your steak taste fresh?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today, I bought about 700 gm of Australian fresh beef from the market.

When I grill it over high heat, placing the beef on the oven tray, it produces 1 cm deep of liquid in my 12 by 9 inches tray! I suspect they sold me frozen beef instead of fresh beef which they claim.

Or how can I tell whether the meat is fresh or frozen before or after cooking?

look at the color lah, if it is bright red, not dark...it's fresh..

dun let tonychat see this, otherwise he'll bash you jialat jialat for eating meat...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since you are so clever, why not tell us more then the obvious, how to tell between fresh and frozen meat, other then using your fnger to press.

Haven't you heard about defroze. LOL

other than sticking a thermometer in the meat or piercing the middle with a small knife, the fastest way to determine if a cut is ready or not for grilling is to press it. if the whole cut can bend and bounces back slowly after a firm press of the thumb, it's ready. if you ask any chef, they don't have the time to play stupid games.

and it's not defroze. it's defrost.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, read a report somewhere in China the pig farmer they inject water before selling them.

With the scum overflowing almost every corner of our little red dot, we have to be little bit more :rolleyes:cautious. And since steak can be eaten medium, I like to be extra carefull. Don't want to end up eating medium beef which have been frozen for 3 months or more.

i think if the meat comes from OZ or NZ, surely they must all be frozen to preserve its freshness during transportation?

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You've just been flamed :biggrin:

Thank you. I am aware of his flame. But since I have a little time on my hand, I can afford that little bit.:biggrin:

Anyway, asking a very common question to make people aware of unscrupulous vendor.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beef is beef to me, dun care which cut, can be fillet or chuck, or what seasoning, bland, salt or gravy, my jaws have been conditioned since young to bite and chew through them as equally tasty...

mmmmmm...beef.....

every cut is different, some have gu yew smell, simply deliciously heaven!

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
other than sticking a thermometer in the meat or piercing the middle with a small knife, the fastest way to determine if a cut is ready or not for grilling is to press it. if the whole cut can bend and bounces back slowly after a firm press of the thumb, it's ready. if you ask any chef, they don't have the time to play stupid games.

and it's not defroze. it's defrost.

Ok, thank you, that sounds to be helpful. I also know when you stir fry beef that are frozen for too long, you get's lots of residue in your pan.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You haven't seen a oven pan with grove to collect liquid don't you.:rolleyes:

that's not grilling. it's a draining pan for baking. the problem with draining pans is that the steam from the juices will steamcook the beef and not grill it.

to grill steaks, you need iron or steel grills that allow the fire to directly char the meat, and they have to be thick enough to absorb and transfer the heat in the iron to the meat for searing and creating the grill lines.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
i think if the meat comes from OZ or NZ, surely they must all be frozen to preserve its freshness during transportation?

Fair enough, that could be the reason, although when I handle it, I didn't feel it is swollen with water.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
that's not grilling. it's a draining pan for baking. the problem with draining pans is that the steam from the juices will steamcook the beef and not grill it.

to grill steaks, you need iron or steel grills that allow the fire to directly char the meat, and they have to be thick enough to absorb and transfer the heat in the iron to the meat for searing and creating the grill lines.

Ideally, yes.

In practice we try to make the best of everything, that save time and $$:biggrin::biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok, thank you, that sounds to be helpful. I also know when you stir fry beef that are frozen for too long, you get's lots of residue in your pan.

my first lesson in cooking is stir-frying beef with broccoli - cantonese style. slice beef thinly across grain. tenderize with corn starch and sauce. let it sit and age for a while in room temp. heat lots of oil in wok in very high heat - wok hei. almost deep fry beef in deep oil - in seconds. remove beef with net and drain outside wok. remove most of oil in wok. stir fry broccoli. add garlic. add beef, add sauce. done.

the chinese chef in the kitchen will complete this in less than a minute.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
There are many unscrupulous importers/exporters around nowadays. No one can be a better judge than yourself now.

Trust your tastebuds dude. Did your steak taste fresh?

Yes, trust my instinct. When I saw so much liquid. It's very well done baby.:biggrin::biggrin:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
my first lesson in cooking is stir-frying beef with broccoli - cantonese style. slice beef thinly across grain. tenderize with corn starch and sauce. let it sit and age for a while in room temp. heat lots of oil in wok in very high heat - wok hei. almost deep fry beef in deep oil - in seconds. remove beef with net and drain outside wok. remove most of oil in wok. stir fry broccoli. add garlic. add beef, add sauce. done.

the chinese chef in the kitchen will complete this in less than a minute.

Besides, cold storage and other less known meat shop, it's very hard to get fresh beef from the market (cheaper I suppose). So, this is my little test with this particular stall. My aim is to try and cook the famous Geylang lorong 9 beef Hor Fun, but without fresh tender beef it won't do.

Therefore I am asking how to determine beef that are fresh which I can get from ordinary market stall without burning a big hole.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today, I bought about 700 gm of Australian fresh beef from the market.

When I grill it over high heat, placing the beef on the oven tray, it produces 1 cm deep of liquid in my 12 by 9 inches tray! I suspect they sold me frozen beef instead of fresh beef which they claim.

Or how can I tell whether the meat is fresh or frozen before or after cooking?

Maybe you try to riddle it with holes when grilling. This will makes the juice flows out and cause the meat to be hard, dry & tough. I did this for the whole summer until my neighnbour told me not to do it. After tat, my alberta beef taste the best great.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe you try to riddle it with holes when grilling. This will makes the juice flows out and cause the meat to be hard, dry & tough. I did this for the whole summer until my neighnbour told me not to do it. After tat, my alberta beef taste the best great.

HowStPatSteak03.jpg