• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

need advice

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want to get a bike to cycle around the park near my place, my budget is around $200 only. Any recommendation?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I want to get a bike to cycle around the park near my place, my budget is around $200 only. Any recommendation?

To cycle around the park, all you need is a $100 bike.

Take your pick from here. If it fits you, buy it.

Carrefour-8-Jun-2012-600x757.jpg

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bikes have no resaLe vaLue.Just grab a new decent one wiLL do, shouLd not cost you more than 1k max.:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I wanted to get a bicycle but decided to walk instead because of the problems finding park, bicycle thieves, etc.

If you'r not a biking enthusiast the cheapest bicycle will do. Don't forget to get a seat:wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
northstar road bike from costco. only usd 279. good enough. sold out at a store near me. i'm keeping a bike just in case all gas stations are closed during a major earthquake. lesson learned from japan.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
boss sam,

since you are here, what is your opinion on the Diamondback brand?

Brands are pretty much meaningless. All the frames are made in China or Taiwan by OEM manufacturers so you'll find multiple "brands" being made in the same factory.

When it comes to components, the big players pretty much dominate the market. Shimano, SRAM, Mavic (wheels), Fulcrum (campag). The difference between a cheap bike and expensive bike is the grade of the components used. The lighter the bike, the more expensive it is because more carbon fibre and titanium is incorporated to reduce the weight.

The only difference between brands is that each company has it's own idea what the "ideal" geometry should be for the mass market so one brand usually feels a bit different from another when you hop on the saddle.

At the end of the day, it's pretty much personal choice. Specialized make fantastic products but I don't like the geometry so I stay away and stick to the brands which I feel comfortable on.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How long do you think the $69.90 folding bicycle will last? 1 mth?

I see no reason why it shouldn't last 5 years or more if it's taken care of. It's not as if it's going to be taken on an off road trail.

99% of all bikes last longer than the owner's enthusiasm for cycling.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I see no reason why it shouldn't last 5 years or more if it's taken care of. It's not as if it's going to be taken on an off road trail.

99% of all bikes last longer than the owner's enthusiasm for cycling.
Agree with your Last sentence though.Had a neighbour who bought a $10k racing bike at the height of his enthusiasm.Lost his interest somehow.Now he's stuck pLaying sLave to his bike, doing aLL the greasing, servicing by himself in the hope that some wouLd-be buyers reach him out..

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
good idea bro...especially your location. Occasional tectonic activity. Reserve a tricycle for me in case i visit.

northstar road bike from costco. only usd 279. good enough. sold out at a store near me. i'm keeping a bike just in case all gas stations are closed during a major earthquake. lesson learned from japan.