• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nathan - a fine one to talk

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has to ask him why he was not regarded by the people of Singapore unlike Sheares, Wee, Ishak and even OTC and Devan.

Presidency requires some level of chemistry combined with poise and grace. No Chemistry, no poise and no grace.

He even made it worse in his twilight years by contemplating whether to run or not. The fact that it will carry him up to age 93 suggest that the country is made up of silly people.

A President who bows to populist pressure is a 'great danger': Nathan
by Ng Jing Yng and Sharon See 04:45 AM Jul 05, 2011SINGAPORE - Having a President who bows to populist pressure would pose a "great danger" for the country, President S R Nathan said yesterday.

Noting that Singapore has come a long way to what it is today, Mr Nathan said unhappiness might have arisen among some sectors of the populace along the way.

But decisions that had to be taken proved to be for the good of the nation in the end, he said. He added that it would be best for everyone to look back, see the big picture and ask: "How did we arrive here? What are all the good things that we've done?"

Mr Nathan, 87, who will not be contesting in the next Presidential Election, said he would have to look for something to do after he steps down.

"I've not made up my mind. You know, I've been working from the age of 14, 15, so the only thing I know is work," he said.

He described criticism against him as "noise in the environment". It cannot be stopped, hence there is no point adding to it, he said. The President had said before that he had earned his fair share of criticism during his years in office.

Mr Nathan was speaking to the media on the sidelines of the National University of Singapore's (NUS) first commencement ceremony for this year yesterday.

He will be stepping down as NUS chancellor soon, a position he has held for more than a decade. "This will be my last act of a graduation ceremony … I've had the pleasure of seeing many students graduate and every time I shake their hands, I see the light in their eyes," he said.

Mr Nathan added that he was touched when somebody said: "Thank you for being our President for so long." Ng Jing Yng, with additional reporting by Sharon See

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't recall Ben Sheares, Wee Kim Wee, Devan, OTC crowing so much. I suppose there is an inverse law to govern this kind of behaviour. And that is, the less you do in office, the more you have to crow ---to cover up the big hole of nothingness.

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't recall Ben Sheares, Wee Kim Wee, Devan, OTC crowing so much. I suppose there is an inverse law to govern this kind of behaviour. And that is, the less you do in office, the more you have to crow ---to cover up the big hole of nothingness.

Maybe at that time the salary was not so high?

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The title should be refined as ...a fine one to talkcock!:rolleyes::biggrin:
Kingrant puts it very well & succintly-"And that is, the less you do in office, the more you have to crow ---to cover up the big hole of nothingness." In this case, the hole is imho, too big to cover up. All these years of saying Yes & being so beholden makes him lose alot of credibility & respect. :rolleyes:

knightriderz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun tink OTC, sheares, devan or wee did much... But they were paid a fraction of Nathan lol perhaps, e more u get paid e more u need to talk?