• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NASA landed spacecraft on Mars....china still trying to get to the moon

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You have to hand it to the Americans. They are so far ahead of the rest of the world it's amazing.

Imagine programming a computer to perform tasks so complex in an environment which is 100% Alien with a ZERO margin of error.

There is no way that NASA control can intervene if something goes wrong as the signals take 14 MINUTES just to travel the distance.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Everybody now knows that space travel is no longer rocket science. There are so many countries who can go up in space including some private companies e.g. the one own by Richard Branson. The challenge is not technology unless you want to leave the solar system. The big issue is money. Whoever has the money can dominate this arena.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kinana said:
talking about manned flight to space bro. I said Soviet went to space sir.

A dog and a monkey are better than every body else. They were in space earlier than any human being.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Everybody now knows that space travel is no longer rocket science. There are so many countries who can go up in space including some private companies e.g. the one own by Richard Branson. The challenge is not technology unless you want to leave the solar system. The big issue is money. Whoever has the money can dominate this arena.

Landing an explorer vehicle on Mars is much more complex than orbiting earth a couple of times. The technology for that was mastered in the early 60s way before the computer era. It involves nothing more than Newtonian physics.

Launching a satellite or going for a ride in the stratosphere requires nothing like the precision involved in a Mars landing. Position, speed and angle can all be tweaked either by a pilot aboard or from Mission control.

Watch the video and you'll realise just what NASA has achieved with this landing. It makes the previous Mars rover project look positively rudimentary. There was no way a dry run could have been done first as it's impossible to duplicate Mars conditions on earth. Everything depended upon precision calculations with parameters calculated indirectly based upon data obtained from previous missions.

The mechanical aspect is just as breathtaking. Relays, detonators, latches, hinges, trap doors, all had to work perfectly. All it had to take for the mission to be an absolute disaster was one stuck latch or one faulty charge.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Everything depended upon precision calculations with parameters calculated indirectly based upon data obtained from previous missions.

The mechanical aspect is just as breathtaking. Relays, detonators, latches, hinges, trap doors, all had to work perfectly. All it had to take for the mission to be an absolute disaster was one stuck latch or one faulty charge.

precise geo data collected from previous missions, especially 3d mapping of the crater, helped nasa plan the mission, which was 8 years in the making. that sucker is 1 ton, not an easy rover to land with all 6 wheels on not so even ground at the same time. nasa uses a delay tolerant transmission protocol, not standardized yet in ietf. vint cerf, who now works for google and whom i met a few years ago, is a proponent of the new protocol and lobbied nasa to adopt it. not sure if it's now nasa proprietary. much new robot, ai and imaging tech also went into curiosity, and by launch time, they were already over a year old.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
I support China going to the moon. Need to verify if there is indeed a US flag planted there. Hope the Americans are not shitting their pants.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I support China going to the moon. Need to verify if there is indeed a US flag planted there. Hope the Americans are not shitting their pants.

I hope all 1.3 billion of them go to the moon and don't come back. :rolleyes:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have to hand it to the Americans. They are so far ahead of the rest of the world it's amazing.

Imagine programming a computer to perform tasks so complex in an environment which is 100% Alien with a ZERO margin of error.

There is no way that NASA control can intervene if something goes wrong as the signals take 14 MINUTES just to travel the distance.

Knn, this is pure assumptions, tell them to explain it with the real things instead of 3D lah, knn...

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my parent's time, everyone was glued to the screen to watch Armstrong et al land on the moon. Now we watch as freaking robot on Mars? Where's the enticement?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my parent's time, everyone was glued to the screen to watch Armstrong et al land on the moon. Now we watch as freaking robot on Mars? Where's the enticement?
Everyone was caught up in the excitement then....my brother even named my nephews after the astronauts.
I guess the prc supporters had orgasms from watching chinamen blasted into space few years ago.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

While it is true that the "high drama" factor of landing a real live astronaut is not there, it is replaced by the "wow" factor from the breathtaking use of technology.

However, I would have to agree that simpletons who don't appreciate what it takes to pull of these sorts of missions would probably not get such a kick out of watching a robot do its thing.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ya lor... stupid Mao and his cultural Revoulation...closing university for 4 years during the 70"s thus causing them to be some 40 years late...

To date, some peasants still angry with the dead Mao..splashing paint at his hugh portrait in Tiananmen square. He deserved it as he caused some 20 million deaths in China.

Bliss, please allow me to change your numbers, it's more than 30 million deaths just during the mid 50s-60s during the Great Lead Forward. Cultural Revolution from mid 60s-70s still not sure.

mangali

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one tell china they are more than 40 years late?

Someone should also tell the world only China has arrived this far in space exploration unmatched by all nations in Asia COMBINED.. the only comical astronaut or space-tourist to be precised was malaysian - a gift after purchasing expensive weaponry from Russia. HAHA !!

A typical Asian low standard high ego clown passed off as ASTRONAUT but in actuality a Space Tourist at most ! LOL

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
While it is true that the "high drama" factor of landing a real live astronaut is not there, it is replaced by the "wow" factor from the breathtaking use of technology.

However, I would have to agree that simpletons who don't appreciate what it takes to pull of these sorts of missions would probably not get such a kick out of watching a robot do its thing.

The reason why they use robots instead of humans is that it is harder technology to do it with humans. Not only do you need to do the outgoing trip, you have also to secure the home-coming leg. No need for that if it is a robot. Landing on Mars is in fact easier than landing on the Moon. You just parachute down - no firing of retro-engine and no orbiting command ship for return trip.

As it is, China remains the only country to have announced a manned Martian trip, the only country that is willing to commit the money to overcome the technological challenges. The United States simply over-price themselves. Everything costs so much for them.

You mention navigation issues, those are past technological challenges. Today's problems are how to be reliable with more and more complexed parts. This needs test after test, not just paper design. An extremely expensive process.

kiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why they use robots instead of humans is that it is harder technology to do it with humans. Not only do you need to do the outgoing trip, you have also to secure the home-coming leg. No need for that if it is a robot. Landing on Mars is in fact easier than landing on the Moon. You just parachute down - no firing of retro-engine and no orbiting command ship for return trip.

As it is, China remains the only country to have announced a manned Martian trip, the only country that is willing to commit the money to overcome the technological challenges. The United States simply over-price themselves. Everything costs so much for them.

You mention navigation issues, those are past technological challenges. Today's problems are how to be reliable with more and more complexed parts. This needs test after test, not just paper design. An extremely expensive process.

Ah Seng, you don't explain so much to LeongSam lah. He won't get it one... :eek: :biggrin:
You might want to check for any grammar or vocabulary mistakes cos he will use it to dig on you... :rolleyes: