• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'My grandfather road' vandal arrested

Maxima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1-24311671%20-%2005_06_2012%20-%20ltstick.jpg

394809_10150447967795745_665195744_8760886_773767737_n.jpg

1-24301484%20-%2004_06_2012%20-%20pixpaint_0.jpg

Maxima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You can view SKL0's works here.

http://skl0.tumblr.com/

Samantha Lo arrested for allegedly engaging Vandalism in Singapore

Posted on June 5, 2012 by admin

It wasn’t her grandfather’s road but that didn’t stop 25-year-old Samantha Lo from attempting to inject a little humour to Singapore’s streets. Yesterday (5 June), Ms Lo was arrested for allegedly engaging in street graffiti.Samantha Lo arrest has riled up many in the online community, especially those in the arts scene.

Samantha Lo is also the founder of online magazine RCGNTN – which highlights Singaporean art – is believed to be suspected of painting the words “My Grandfather Road” along Robinson Road and Maxwell Road and putting humourous stickers on road traffic signs.

Ms Samantha Lo, dubbed by netizens as ‘Sticker Lady,’ may face a jail term of up to three years or be fined up to $2,000 if found guilty of vandalism.

Nominated Member of Parliament Janice Koh who represents the interests of the arts scene, said Samantha Lo hopes the authorities will deal with the matter using a light touch.

“I don’t see street art as being the same as graffiti or vandalism…it is almost impossible to talk about developing a culturally vibrant, creative or loveable city, without some tolerance for those slightly messy activities that sometimes challenge the rules,” Samantha Lo wrote on her official Facebook page.”

Samantha-Lo-arrested-for-allegedly-engaging-Vandalism-in-Singapore.jpg

Pointing to Melbourne, Samantha Lo said one of the main tourist attractions in the city is street art which has been featured in Tourism Victoria’s campaigns despite the State Government’s strict anti-graffiti laws.

Some cities, Samantha Lo says, choose to turn a blind eye to such cases because good street art brings colour and character to a city’s street and cultural life.

“For Singapore, it would be useful to make a distinction between this kind of art and outright graffiti or vandalism that seeks to deliberately destroy public property for its own sake,” Samantha Lo added.
Prominent street artists remain underground and do not reveal their identities, Samantha Lo said, pointing to UK artist Banksy as an example.

“Unlike Sticker Lady of course, Banksy has never been caught,” Samantha Lo wrote.

Banksy used to be under constant threat from the UK police as he went about creating his street art fused with political messages. Today, local authorities protect his graffiti as they’re usually a must-see for tourists who are inclined towards the art form.

Supporters of Ms Samantha Lo have started forwarding an online petition seeking for authorities to convert Ms Lo’s case from a vandalism charge to “miscellaneous offences (Public Order and Nuisance)” which would involve a fine of up to $1,000 – and no jail time.

There’s also a campaign in support of Ms Samantha Lo.

An arts lecturer, who did not want to be identified, said the artist’s series of work pokes fun at a segment of Singaporean society “which is so self-absorbed and oblivious that they think everything is their grandfathers’.

“This is positive as it reminds us that there are others around us that need access to the resources that we are hording (such as) space and time.

Tongue in cheek? Yes. Is it off limits or a crime? Definitely not,” he said.

While there has been much support from the arts community for Ms Samantha Lo who was also a content curator for a project at The National Art Gallery, there are also many who don’t think Samantha Lo should get a lighter sentence.

A 59-year-old entrepreneur, who did not want to be named, said no matter how clever the messages were, the woman still defaced public property.

“If the relevant authorities are lenient, it’ll encourage others to do likewise – perhaps even more sinister messages? The lady might have thought that she’s bringing an edgy cuteness to a rather dull Singapore, but that’s not the way to do it,” he said.

An NUS political-science honours student,Ben Ho said the issue is not whether the artist’s work should be considered as art or not.

He believes if the authorities do recognise the work as art and the sentencing is lenient, it might encourage other street artists to do the same.

“The line between real art and true vandalism is blurred. We will have a very colourful city, loved by everyone, and no one, at the same time,” he mulled.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Using public property as your canvas is vandalism no matter how you try to spin the issue.

Reminds me of the guy who shaved his pubic hair on stage and described it as artistic expression.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of using her talent and energy to become economically productive she uses it to destroy public property

Hope the authorities will slap the maximum sentence on this irresponsible bitch..........

should sentence to 100 strokes of caning in the public?

Maxima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Police probe Singapore artist for alleged graffiti

20120606.152138__instickerlady%20(1).jpg

AFP
Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012

SINGAPORE - A Singaporean artist under investigation for allegedly vandalising public roads saw more than 11,000 Internet users Wednesday petitioning online for police leniency.

Police declined to identify the 25-year-old woman arrested, but said she faced a maximum three-year jail term and a fine of up to $2,000 if convicted of offences alleged to have taken place in May. (It's ok as we already know that she is Samantha Lo and the founder of online magazine RCGNTN and a member of RSCLS.) :biggrin:

A police statement said the woman, dubbed "Sticker Lady" by the local media, is alleged to have painted "MY GRANDFATHER ROAD" on several streets in the city-state which has a reputation as being among the cleanest in Asia.

She is also alleged to have pasted captioned stickers on traffic lights, pavements and pedestrian crossings, police said.

"The case is classified as vandalism," police said in the statement, adding that offenders would be dealt with severely.

Singapore has strict laws on vandalism but the "Sticker Lady" case has sparked uproar on the Internet, with many feeling the artist, identified as Samantha Lo in local media, was simply expressing creativity and should be treated with leniency.

"It's uniquely Singaporean. The government should be glad that someone is being creative and doing something with our culture," Zachary Rahmat posted on the petition site.

Another supporter, Denise L, also called for leniency, writing: "It had brought so many smiles to whoever came across her harmless intentions. Let her go."

Jeremy Sharma, a Singaporean artist, said there were laws in Singapore against acts of vandalism but told AFP he hoped there would be leniency in this particular case.

"Singapore has laws on these so you do it at your own risk but there are artists who are recognised on such works overseas," he said, adding that "what she did had artistic merit".

American teenager Michael Fay garnered global headlines in 1994 when he was jailed and caned in Singapore after he was found guilty of vandalising several cars. Fay was caned despite a US appeal for clemency.

In 2010 a Swiss man was jailed and caned for vandalising a Singapore metro train.

Last edited:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
My email to the AG Chambers and Subordinate Courts (my name removed to prevent being harassed forever)

Dear Sirs

I refer to the arrest of the Sticker vandal and the calls from the arts community for a lenient treatment, including a Facebook petition to this effect.

I hope you will not refrain from dishing the full force of justice as a result of this populist calls.

I can only speak for myself but I believe there is a silent majority who want to see proper justice served.

The criminal, a well educated person, has chose to break the law knowingly. If you do not impose a deterrent sentence, there will be many others like her who will destroy public property and deface public areas.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
tsk tsk. only one thing on your mind! :rolleyes:

if they were all grammatically correct, they wouldn't quite push the right buttons liao u know.

"Art" is no excuse for poor grammar. :rolleyes:

I hope she gets additional jail time for each grammatical error she committed.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Art" is no excuse for poor grammar. :rolleyes:

I hope she gets additional jail time for each grammatical error she committed.

dun worry, she sure go to prison, PAP have no tolerance for vandalism. But i like her art, not bad, too bad, she is not born in the west.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
457798_367679356621412_758823808_o.jpg

Why did the group change tack? Are they initially instigating others to paste the distributed stickers on public properties too?

"A GROUP of netizens yesterday pledged to distribute stickers to rally support for a young artist arrested for vandalism, but by last night had changed tack. Instead, they will now distribute stickers to creative agencies and foreigners not currently in Singapore."

It does look like Ms Lo wants to get caught? Uploading her "work" onto Tumblr page in her own capacity not anonymously. Is she advertising her "work"? Is this a publicity stunt for her career?

"Meanwhile, the woman at the centre of the storm has replaced her original Tumblr page with the image of a sticker. The page used to have photographs of the circular stickers in various locations, as well as a shot of the stencilled 'My Grandfather Road' painted on the road in front of the Ministry of National Development building."

"The consequences of taking the case lightly, as it may embolden others to push the envelope." --Lawyer Chia Boon Teck

'Even if you feel sympathy for Ms Lo, let the judge make his decision first. She may not get the full penalty.' --Advertising executive Eugene Liao, 29

"Special treatment for Ms Lo would 'go against the spirit of a good legal system. If you want to support a culture of innovation, petition to get the law changed instead. Pleading leniency for her just gives licence to those seeking to override the law for their own ends." -- sales manager Benjamin Kong, 39

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
181849_367661486623199_479784970_n.jpg

Mr Kamal Dollah aka Trase -
Art is art, crime is crime. Crime is distinctive and very clear-cut.... Art on the other hand is subjective.

I don't find it stifling (to be an artist) in Singapore. It's not a situation where it is very rigid here. Those who find it stifling are not creative enough.

"Kaze - such artists don't lose their street credibility at all, in fact, if they can do their art and get paid, it's a great bonus"

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
""Special treatment for Ms Lo would 'go against the spirit of a good legal system. If you want to support a culture of innovation, petition to get the law changed instead. Pleading leniency for her just gives licence to those seeking to override the law for their own ends." -- sales manager Benjamin Kong, 39"

This guy living in SG? i cannot stop laughing at this statement made by him.