• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My final solution to the pending recession

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always believed that turning sinkapore into an automation nation like Japan is the best solution to our labour woes. Japan refuses to import cheap foreigners to fill its labour shortage, and builds its own robots and machines to fill the gap. Socially they have been the better for it.

If i were the govt, i'd make structural investments on automation and employ all the laid off sinkee engineers, programmers and whatnot to design and make machines that fill in labour gaps, like dishwashing machines, food ordering machines to replace the foreigners in these jobs.

I'll make it much harder to exploitative employers to hire cheap foreigners, and easier to buy these automatons at discounted prices, and throw in free warranties/servicing for 5-10 years.

In time, all the cheap undeserving foreigners will be forced to leave, and the machines will solve our labour woes. Making and servicing these machines will provide many jobs for our high-tech trained locals.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have the right thinking. An easy supply of cheap labour not only stifles innovation, it also lowers standards and quality.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed you hv great ideas.How about sex workers?
Factory to churn out more sex toys or......?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These machines can generate revenue for the country too by exporting our knowledge and the machines. Too bad our pappee has short-sighted brain. They believe only their old brain works and peasant old brains need overhauling. They just want quick fix through the youngsters and than watch in trial and error like hanging them on the noose and than watch if these youngster can hold within 5 seconds, if yes they are considered cream of the crops and the rest forced to emigrate.

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal
Japan refuses to import cheap foreigners to fill its labour shortage, and builds its own robots and machines to fill the gap.

Robots and machines can't fully replace humans, while Japan does not have a large foreigner labour, a portion of Japanese are the working poor.

Are Singaporeans willing to work hard, make little money like the working poor in Japan to avoid importing foreign labour?

Japan's working poor hit hard

Just beneath the nation's luxurious exterior, a new population barely makes ends meet
Shino Yuasa ASSOCIATED PRESS

Friday, October 31, 2008

Buzz up!TOKYO — In one of the world's wealthiest nations, Junpei Murasawa is a poor man. He skips meals to make ends meet. A bachelor, he lives in a tiny apartment in Tokyo, sharing a kitchen, toilet and shower with nine neighbors. He doesn't have health insurance because he can't afford the premiums.

The 29-year-old laborer is one of a burgeoning class in Japan — the working poor. The number of Japanese earning less than $19,610 a year surged 40 percent from 2002 to 2006, the latest data available, the government says. They now number more than 10 million.

In a country that boasts the world's longest-living population, where young women with Louis Vuitton bags crowd the sidewalks, Mr. Murasawa's is a voice of hopelessness and despair — a voice increasingly heard in Japan.

"Everyday I live in deep anxiety," said the soft-spoken temporary worker, currently making $882 a month by bagging purchases at a home improvement center. "When I think about my future, I get sleepless at night."

The plight of such workers is likely to worsen as the current global financial crisis ripples through the Japanese economy. At the bottom of the economic food chain, Mr. Murasawa and his cohorts will be the first to suffer.

The growth of the working poor — not seen in such numbers since Japan surged to wealth in the 1980s — has been a shock to a country that once prided itself on being a bastion of economic equality.

"It is unprecedented to see such a widening income gap in Japan," said Yoshio Sasajima, economist at Meiji Gakuin University in Tokyo. "Our society is definitely becoming a class society."

The seeds of change now wrenching Japanese society were planted in the burst of the so-called "bubble economy" in the early 1990s.

As the Tokyo stock market tumbled, evaporating vast stores of wealth, corporations restructured by laying off workers. In the 2000s, a round of free-market reforms widened the disparity between haves and have-nots.

A key to the growth of the working poor has been the explosion in temporary employment agencies, which allow corporations to take on labor without having to pay benefits - and then unload workers at will.

singaforever

Alfrescian
Loyal
My take on this matter is that the government is 'forced' to import people to keep the balance in the race ratio. While everyone is stopping at 2, the Ms are stopping at 2 dozen. In one or two generatinos time, that is gonna be a big headache for everyone. Sure automate, I totally agree, but we won't have the intelligent or commited people to man these machines.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
We don't need people to design these machines. We can work with Japan and localise theirs for our own use. And most young people today, who grew up on Wii and PSP, will find these machines easy to use. Maybe the transition will take time, since overnight transformation will make things hard for the older generation. And we can't chase away ALL foreign labourers just yet. But for the future, this idea works!

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always believed that turning sinkapore into an automation nation like Japan is the best solution to our labour woes. Japan refuses to import cheap foreigners to fill its labour shortage, and builds its own robots and machines to fill the gap. Socially they have been the better for it.

If i were the govt, i'd make structural investments on automation and employ all the laid off sinkee engineers, programmers and whatnot to design and make machines that fill in labour gaps, like dishwashing machines, food ordering machines to replace the foreigners in these jobs.

I'll make it much harder to exploitative employers to hire cheap foreigners, and easier to buy these automatons at discounted prices, and throw in free warranties/servicing for 5-10 years.

In time, all the cheap undeserving foreigners will be forced to leave, and the machines will solve our labour woes. Making and servicing these machines will provide many jobs for our high-tech trained locals.

The govt also has to inculcate TEAMWORK in the Singkies, which they currently don't have due to years of selfish behaviour starting from the top.

However, this is just a dream. The PAPPY is greedy and this move would cause them to lose money for many years 1st before they see any rewards.

jw5

Loyal

Can we replace the government with robots?

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technology Advances had its good and harm. Japan is a good example that leverage using creative engineering to mass produce the product thus bring the cost really low that many can afford.

But on the other hand, the labour is also being brought to the very bottom or replace by robots when competition kick in to outsmart one another. Vicious cycle.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we replace the government with robots?

That day I saw the Chinese paper talking about the reform from PRC govt. Something like this...

When the govt reform the production, poison milk powder was created.
When they upgrade the education, parents cannot tahan the school fees.
When they upgrade the hospital services, many got poor to use the service.
When they create jobs, it was later more retrenchment coming along.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh, dear. People are our best resources. Machines cannot rival our human talent, the most important and only resource of the nation.