• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Must Vivian used the word Amputation?

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand why Vivian used the word "Amputation" to end the saga. As a doctor himself, why can't he be more sensitive for those amputees? just becos he is able-bodied, he can hurt those who are not and neglect their feeling?

No amputation as ping pong row ends

Tan Yo-Hinn and Low lin fhoong

[email protected]

THE eight days that shook Singapore sports ended on Friday with the good doctor saying: “We have concluded that this was a patient that did not need an amputation.”
Instead, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan announced that:
• Liu Guodong will remain table tennis coach;
• Antony Lee will continue as team manager for three months, after which he will be seconded to the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC); and
• Lee Bee Wah will remain as the president of the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA).
The Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports said at a conference to bring the table tennis controversy to a close: “Over the past four days, Teo Ser Luck, myself, all the players, coaches and key officials of the association have met and I’m happy to announce categorically that the crisis is over.
“Yes, some mistakes were made, there were misunderstandings and some over reactions.
“STTA president Lee Bee Wah was dedicated to achieving organisational excellence. She’s very passionate, and sometimes a bit impatient to achieve a good system for the players. Mistakes were made, the question is how we respond to it and minimise it, how to maintain team unity.
Ms Lee, who was visibly tired, apologised and said: “The Beijing Olympics were very emotional for all of us and I made some comments that were misunderstood and upset some Singaporeans. I sincerely apologise for any grievances and stress (that was caused). On behalf of STTA, coaches and team manager, I convey my apologies to Singaporeans. Our actions have dampened the celebrations of all Singaporeans. I hope this will bring about a closure.”
It was Ms Lee’s comments — that action will be taken against those responsible for the absence of a coach during player Gao Ning’s Olympics Games match in Beijing — that kicked off a storm of protests among Singaporeans. Their main point of contention was that Ms Lee’s public outburst spoilt the party for a nation celebrating a silver medal in Olympics, its first in 48 years.
Since the team’s return from the Beijing Olympic Games on Monday, several rounds of meetings with players, coaches and team officials were held with Dr Balakrishnan and Senior Parliamentary Secretary (MCYS) Teo Ser Luck.
It is understood that the players, coaches and team officials had frank discussions and patched up their differences.
Feng Tianwei, the 21-year-old who was one of the stars of the national women’s team silver medal feat, said: “We had discussions about this over the past few days and we’re all satisfied with the outcome.”
Her team-mates Li Jiawei and Wang Yuegu added they would abide by whatever plans the STTA had for them.
Gao Ning, the player at the centre of the storm, said: “For me, it’s over, and I’m focused on getting back to training and competing, which is what I do. I want to do my best as an athlete.”
Also present at Friday night’s press conference were Lee, Teo, International Olympic Committee executive board member and SNOC vice-president Ng Ser Miang, team manager Lee, and members of both the men’s and women’s teams.
Dr Balakrishnan added that the sport could learn from this incident, and hoped that it would spur them on.
“Sports is a reflection of life and there are very few things in life that unify all of us on the same platform. There may be criticism about what we have done but the vast majority of Singaporeans is happy,” he said.
“I would like to urge the public: Trust us and trust the team to get on with the process. Increasing interest in the sport — that must be the ultimate harvest and I hope it can show parents that a career in sports is possible. Let’s give her (Lee Bee Wah) some time to put her plans into place.”

Tan Yo-Hinn and Low lin fhoong

[email protected]

THE eight days that shook Singapore sports ended on Friday with the good doctor saying: “We have concluded that this was a patient that did not need an amputation.”
Instead, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan announced that:
• Liu Guodong will remain table tennis coach;
• Antony Lee will continue as team manager for three months, after which he will be seconded to the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC); and
• Lee Bee Wah will remain as the president of the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA).
The Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports said at a conference to bring the table tennis controversy to a close: “Over the past four days, Teo Ser Luck, myself, all the players, coaches and key officials of the association have met and I’m happy to announce categorically that the crisis is over.
“Yes, some mistakes were made, there were misunderstandings and some over reactions.
“STTA president Lee Bee Wah was dedicated to achieving organisational excellence. She’s very passionate, and sometimes a bit impatient to achieve a good system for the players. Mistakes were made, the question is how we respond to it and minimise it, how to maintain team unity.
Ms Lee, who was visibly tired, apologised and said: “The Beijing Olympics were very emotional for all of us and I made some comments that were misunderstood and upset some Singaporeans. I sincerely apologise for any grievances and stress (that was caused). On behalf of STTA, coaches and team manager, I convey my apologies to Singaporeans. Our actions have dampened the celebrations of all Singaporeans. I hope this will bring about a closure.”
It was Ms Lee’s comments — that action will be taken against those responsible for the absence of a coach during player Gao Ning’s Olympics Games match in Beijing — that kicked off a storm of protests among Singaporeans. Their main point of contention was that Ms Lee’s public outburst spoilt the party for a nation celebrating a silver medal in Olympics, its first in 48 years.
Since the team’s return from the Beijing Olympic Games on Monday, several rounds of meetings with players, coaches and team officials were held with Dr Balakrishnan and Senior Parliamentary Secretary (MCYS) Teo Ser Luck.
It is understood that the players, coaches and team officials had frank discussions and patched up their differences.
Feng Tianwei, the 21-year-old who was one of the stars of the national women’s team silver medal feat, said: “We had discussions about this over the past few days and we’re all satisfied with the outcome.”
Her team-mates Li Jiawei and Wang Yuegu added they would abide by whatever plans the STTA had for them.
Gao Ning, the player at the centre of the storm, said: “For me, it’s over, and I’m focused on getting back to training and competing, which is what I do. I want to do my best as an athlete.”
Also present at Friday night’s press conference were Lee, Teo, International Olympic Committee executive board member and SNOC vice-president Ng Ser Miang, team manager Lee, and members of both the men’s and women’s teams.
Dr Balakrishnan added that the sport could learn from this incident, and hoped that it would spur them on.
“Sports is a reflection of life and there are very few things in life that unify all of us on the same platform. There may be criticism about what we have done but the vast majority of Singaporeans is happy,” he said.
“I would like to urge the public: Trust us and trust the team to get on with the process. Increasing interest in the sport — that must be the ultimate harvest and I hope it can show parents that a career in sports is possible. Let’s give her (Lee Bee Wah) some time to put her plans into place.”