• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mum was strict to me when young, but she meant well

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dad was laissez-faire and didn't really give 2 hoots about my grades. My mum was what some might call controlling. After witnessing my older sister (1 year my elder) fail Math and English in P1, she decided that she needed to prepare me for primary school while I was still in kindergarten. That meant poring over assessment books for about 2 hours every night.

In primary school, chapters from assessment books were assigned on top of completing school homework. That didn't change after I entered the GEP stream, which meant more school homework that was also getting increasing difficult to complete. Becoming a GEPer also increased her expectations I reckon. I scored in the mid 80s for Math in P4. It didn't matter that tests were considerably harder because they were crafted for "gifted" kids. It didn't matter that I was trying my darndest to cope with the sudden huge changes to my curriculum and environment. What stood out for my mother was the fact that I didn't perform as well as I did before, having typically attained 100s or 99s previously. She would go: "You didn't try your best, did you?". I honestly didn't know how to respond to that. How would she know what was my best? How would I know what was my best? "Best" was such a vague, intangible connotation. Playing computer games and surfing Facebook were frowned upon. Reading books on the other hand was very much encouraged; thank goodness I loved reading.

I made it to an IP school. She didn't have the expertise to teach me any longer, so the assessment books vanished. Expectations remained though. I began staying back in the library till 6pm almost every single day (unless there were CCA commitments) to study. didn't have a need for tuition, so I managed to save my parents quite a bit of money. Hanging out with friends was permitted, though I was expected to do it only occasionally and after exams, when there was a legitimate cause for celebration. An 8pm curfew was imposed.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/06/mum-was-strict-to-me-when-young-but-she.html

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tiger mummy.
You can see their influence on instagram where sexy girls showing their butt and boobs can dance ballet and play classics on the piano.