• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Movies] - Trainspotting's "Worst Toilet in Scotland" scene

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

For those interested in accents, while most Singaporeans (or for that matter, anyone outside Scotland) can't tell the difference, there are multiple Scottish accents (every region in Scotland has its own accent) within the movie, with each actor using his own original Scottish accent, although the characters were all supposed to have only one same accent. Not that anyone outside Scotland would notice or care.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-actor...Chris-Hemsworth-in-The-Huntsman-Winter-s-War#
Alex Johnston
Alex Johnston
, lives in Scotland (2009-present)
Answered Jan 11
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-actor...Chris-Hemsworth-in-The-Huntsman-Winter-s-War#
Even Scottish actors can’t always do convincing Scottish accents. The problem is that there are a lot of Scottish accents, and they vary in ways that are very subtle and which people from outside Scotland are not attuned to.

My ex-wife, who grew up in Edinburgh, is perpetually amused by Ewan McGregor’s performance in Trainspotting because although McGregor’s character, Renton, is supposed to be from the working-class housing estates on Edinburgh’s western edge, he has McGregor’s own middle-class Crieff accent. (Crieff is fifty miles away.)
Robert Carlyle in the same film sounds like he’s from Glasgow, which is where Robert Carlyle is actually from, as does Kelly Macdonald, who is also from Glasgow. Of the main cast, only Ewen Bremner as Spud actually has an Edinburgh accent, but many people find him incomprehensible.

Having said all that, the gold star for Trainspotting goes to Jonny Lee Miller, the only one of the main cast who wasn’t actually Scottish. Leaving aside the overall quality of his performance (which was as good as everyone else), in accent terms he didn’t make a total fool of himself. He still doesn’t sound like he’s from anywhere in particular, though.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-actor...-Chris-Hemsworth-in-The-Huntsman-Winter-s-War

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
remsensor TM

remsensor TM3 years ago
Only a true opiate addict can understand the symbolism in this scene. Basically showing the depths of what you will do just to get your fix and get well. As it shows him swimming in seemingly "clean" water while joyfully happy he got the suppositories back just shows how fucked the normal thought process is when your in need of a fix. I remember being sick once and a mate vomited up a couple oxys. I literally rinsed them off quickly and swallowed them. I've burglarized cars, houses, stolen my own parents debit card and withdrew cash. It didn't matter. Only when I came off and got clean did I realize what kind of fucked up person and things I did. The drug turns you into someone else. The person as you were slowly starts to fade away and gets filled in with this shady fucking person that is only concerned about being well or high.
Read more
Show less