• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More NSFs extend stint voluntarily (You believe?)

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
More full-time national servicemen (NSFs) are voluntarily extending their NS, the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) revealed yesterday.

Last year, 357 NSFs chose to extend their NS stint, which Mindef said was the highest in the past three years, although it did not provide figures for 2009 and 2008.

Last year's figure is also higher than the average of 200 NSFs who have extended their NS annually since the Voluntary Extension of Service Scheme was incepted in 1996. Under the scheme, NSFs can extend their mandatory two-year NS for up to nine months. About 20,000 recruits enlist annually.

Reasons given for NSFs to delay their operationally-ready date (ORD) are varied and include wanting to be part of overseas training exercises and participating in projects such as the National Day Parade (NDP).
(From left) Lance-Corporal (NS) Wong Jing Yong and Corporal (First Class) Muhd Rafie Ahmad being commended by MG Singh.

For instance, Lance-Corporal (NS) Wong Jing Yong, 23, was due to complete his NS last October but extended it by nine months so that he could pitch in for this year's NDP preparations. LCP Wong, who was involved in planning and conceptualising pre-NDP activities and fringe celebrations, is one of 65 NSFs who extended their service for the parade this year.

In fact, he had to defer his plans to study in a private school by eight months.

"While I had to make some sacrifices, the fruits of my labour make the experience worthwhile. I have no regrets," said LCP Wong.

Another NSF who deferred his ORD is Corporal (First Class) Muhd Rafie Ahmad, who extended his service by three months so he could support the operations of the Army's Leopard tanks involved in an exercise in Germany in May.

"It was an experience I could not miss," said CFC Rafie, 21, adding that extending his NS is also a "stepping stone" for him.

This is because he plans to sign on as an Army regular.

In his first formal media interview as the new Chief of Army on Tuesday, Major-General Ravinder Singh said that the number of NSFs who extended their service last year was "quite remarkable".

"I think it's really a testament to our soldiers that they want to serve beyond the mandatory period to make a useful contribution," said MG Singh.

He added that the voluntary extension also demonstrates the level of commitment of the country's soldiers and their leaders in coming forward to serve Singapore for longer.

MG Singh, 46, is the first operationally ready NSman called to head the Army. He left uniformed service two years ago and last served as Mindef's deputy secretary for technology before taking over from the former Army chief, MG (NS) Chan Chun Sing, in March. MG (NS) Chan left to join politics.

MG Singh will oversee the Army through its third-generation (3G) transformation, in which it will use new combat technologies and develop new ways of fighting battles.

This began in 2005, and soldier training has already undergone changes. For instance, the introduction of computers has helped cut classroom training time for soldiers by 15 to 20 per cent. MG Singh said this has allowed troops to spend more time in the field for tough and realistic training.

The Army Chief added that it could take at least 10 years for the 3G transformation to be completed and noted that while the Army has made a "good start", "we've some way to go".

He explained that new equipment has already been acquired, but it will take time to train soldiers to use the equipment.

Poised to take advantage of these technologies are information technology-savvy soldiers, said MG Singh.

Compared to soldiers two generations ago, he said that soldiers today are quicker to pick up tech skills like the use of online chat in military systems.

"Without this generation of soldiers, I don't think we will be able to transform ourselves into a third-generation force," said MG Singh.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS now got free IPad, spring mattress, Maid to carry bags, decent food, free internet at Biz centre. What is there not to like. U think still like our time meh, mattress thinner then cardboard, Shitty food, make 1 lousy phone call also need to queue at the 1 lousy paid phone some more got time limit

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS now got free IPad, spring mattress, Maid to carry bags, decent food, free internet at Biz centre. What is there not to like. U think still like our time meh, mattress thinner then cardboard, Shitty food, make 1 lousy phone call also need to queue at the 1 lousy paid phone some more got time limit

Um....for that you'll want to extend voluntarily, come on. ha...ha...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

==

bro...sure or not. Even with that , i rather fuck off and flip fillet-o-fish outside.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore youth used to have better employment alternatives outside national service. Nowadays all part-time / casual jobs have been taken up by FTs.. so Singaporeans eat free cookhouse food now.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore youth used to have better employment alternatives outside national service. Nowadays all part-time / casual jobs have been taken up by FTs.. so Singaporeans eat free cookhouse food now.

Yes you are absolutely correct. Part time job pays $5 per h (considered good). NS pay a thousand over if you extend. Those who extend are usually waiting for start of uni.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Um.... with the institutional life getting better, I gathered there will be some long sentence prisoners requesting to stay on in prison.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
wrong. the pappies are cheapskate , they will TRY to rehab more criminals and kick them out early so they become our problem instead. feeding a mat stoner who keeps going in and out of jail is damn expensive know? and you notice more mad people on the streets? IMH running out of beds.

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know many of them extend their service just to earn some pocket money while awaiting NUS or NTU especial those holding an officer rank...
Instead of finding job outside for that 6 to 9 months, they prefered to stay and continue receiving paycheck, smart moved....

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
These are all fake interviews arranged to trick everyone into thinking that NS is great. How I know this is fake? Since when has armour got malays? Corporal first class Mohammed Rafie Ahmad supports Leo 2 in Germany? Bullshit. Malays not allowed in the armour camps much less anywhere near Leo 2s. Unless this is a very new policy I am not aware of. Even the newest armour Trailblazers unit formed for mine clearing has no malays in it, and those mine clearers have no where near the firepower of a Leo 2.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is so many FT in singapore, job market is very bad, thus they want to delay coming out to work. That means job market is so bad, yet shit times still want to print such news.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These are all fake interviews arranged to trick everyone into thinking that NS is great. How I know this is fake? Since when has armour got malays? Corporal first class Mohammed Rafie Ahmad supports Leo 2 in Germany? Bullshit. Malays not allowed in the armour camps much less anywhere near Leo 2s. Unless this is a very new policy I am not aware of. Even the newest armour Trailblazers unit formed for mine clearing has no malays in it, and those mine clearers have no where near the firepower of a Leo 2.

This is true.. They've never accepted malay abangs in armour units in my time.. not even as support staff.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is true.. They've never accepted malay abangs in armour units in my time.. not even as support staff.

They make it super obvious back then if you go any of the support arms, Arti, Armour, Engineer don't even have muslim cookhouse. Only Chinese cookhouse.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least it wont place our abang in a dilemma during critical situations, good for all.

Maybe now they put a few poster boys there and ta pau halal food from nearby hawker center.:o

They make it super obvious back then if you go any of the support arms, Arti, Armour, Engineer don't even have muslim cookhouse. Only Chinese cookhouse.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

The reporter should have confirmed this very common knowledge before quoting this guy.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
More full-time national servicemen (NSFs) are voluntarily extending their NS, the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) revealed yesterday.

For instance, Lance-Corporal (NS) Wong Jing Yong, 23, was due to complete his NS last October but extended it by nine months so that he could pitch in for this year's NDP preparations. LCP Wong, who was involved in planning and conceptualising pre-NDP activities and fringe celebrations, is one of 65 NSFs who extended their service for the parade this year.

In fact, he had to defer his plans to study in a private school by eight months.

This prick really has no life, no friends, no hobbies. Another 8 months to further studies and he chose to continue? He has all the hallmarks of an asshole. The SAF suits him fine. He need not join the private sector cos he will not survive.

Another NSF who deferred his ORD is Corporal (First Class) Muhd Rafie Ahmad, who extended his service by three months so he could support the operations of the Army's Leopard tanks involved in an exercise in Germany in May.

"It was an experience I could not miss," said CFC Rafie, 21, adding that extending his NS is also a "stepping stone" for him.

This is because he plans to sign on as an Army regular.

This one another goondu. Just admit want to go to Germany la. Also in this day and age why is SAF so dumb to sign on a CFC? I thot this was a 3G army, why employ academically challenged people? Also the fact that he wants to sign up means he knows he cannot make it outside.