• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Monkeys See and Monkeys Do - Secret of Producing Bad Mannered Citizens

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Little by little Singaporeans are loosing the basic niceties like waving as a driver to express thanks. What the recent report stated as Singaporeans being an unhappy bunch rings true.

Take a simple case of drivers stopping suddenly in order to reverse into an empty lot in the many HDB estates.

More often than not the vehicle behind stops to allow the driver concerned to have free ingress into that lot. Basic courtesy.

The idiotic driver reverses his or her vehicle and don't even have the courtesy to wave a gesture of thanks to the other kind party. Is it a right?

To him / her (idiotic drivers) these may be something trivial and hence OK to adopt such a stance.

The poor exasperated and "kind" driver who gives way is nonetheless left fuming in anger and in sheer frustration expresses his / her disappointment to his passengers, some of whom may be his / her little children of impressionable age.

Wouldn't the action of the "discourteous" driver concerned leaves lasting impressions on the minds of these growing kids? Surely it will for kids learn fast. Those with parents that say swear words learn it fast and furious.

Go to the next step and see what happens next? A new discourteous driver is produced because of the action of a bad Singaporean.

Just what is happening to our people who were once upon a time a very patient and courteous lot.

I do not want to mention about giving signals on the highway to enter another lane where one confronts another "ugly" Singaporean (some of them are literally) who revs up to deny the other party the right to enter.

This is a mystery that even the best "mystery-solver" will find hard to comprehend.

I shudder to wish all forummers, "A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013".

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I used to be very angry when I encounter all these so called discourteous drivers and Singaporeans. But in the end, I told myself it's okay. Courtesy begets courtesy. I stopped to allow the driver in front to reverse.If he thanked me, it's a bonus.If he didn't , it's okay.No big deal. One day, I know, I will also encounter such a situation and I must also remember to thank the driver who is patiently allowing me to reverse. Sometimes, you forget to thank because you're concentrating on your reversing your vehicle. We should not expect any thanks or demand any courtesy.

We ourselves should set the example. To thank our fellow drivers and to thank our fellow Singaporeans. To wish them good morning if we encounter fellow joggers early in the morning.Or say hello to those we meet in the lift.

It all starts with ourselves. No use condemning others or cursing others for being discourteous,impolite or unkind or unforgiving.Start with ourselves and be a good example.

This is not peculiar to Singaporeans.It is not a uniquely Singaporean trait.It's global....Maybe our pace here is more stressful than other countries but basically I find Singaporeans okay. Most of them will reciprocate with some form of acknowledgement and gratitude.Some are cold and indifferent.

But overall, Singaporeans are nice, kind, generous and helpful people. We are rather shy and reserved when it comes to openly expressing our emotions.But we are okay - socially tolerable and bearable. I love Singaporeans....:smile:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Little by little Singaporeans are loosing the basic niceties like waving as a driver to express thanks. What the recent report stated as Singaporeans being an unhappy bunch rings true.

impressionable age.

Wouldn't the action of the "discourteous" driver concerned leaves lasting impressions on the minds of these growing kids? Surely it will for kids learn fast. Those with parents that say swear words learn it fast and furious.

Go to the next step and see what happens next? A new discourteous driver is produced because of the action of a bad Singaporean.

Just what is happening to our people who were once upon a time a very patient and courteous lot.

I do not want to mention about giving signals on the highway to enter another lane where one confronts another "ugly" Singaporean (some of them are literally) who revs up to deny the other party the right to enter.

This is a mystery that even the best "mystery-solver" will find hard to comprehend.

I shudder to wish all forummers, "A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013".

good points..a failed education system and example set by arrogant and ungracious pap

jw5

Loyal

The result of role models setting poor examples over the years. Parents, grandparents, teachers, leaders, people in positions of power and authority.

M8SSLOTS

Alfrescian
Loyal
The result of role models setting poor examples over the years. Parents, grandparents, teachers, leaders, people in positions of power and authority.

Look at Mah Bow Tan...he is a classic example of failure of theneducation system

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every time a car stops to allow me to cross the zebra crossing, I make it a point to raise my right hand as a way of thanks to the driver of the car..

As a driver myself, I know how it feels to have someone showing you a gesture of thanks for being a considerate and a patient driver..

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Every time a car stops to allow me to cross the zebra crossing, I make it a point to raise my right hand as a way of thanks to the driver of the car..

As a driver myself, I know how it feels to have someone showing you a gesture of thanks for being a considerate and a patient driver..

Thank you Sir :-) An example of a good and courteous Singaporean...:smile:

M8SSL0TS

Alfrescian
Loyal
thank u sir...not the kindest man lah...but trying just to be tolerant....kumsia for your kind compliments...:smile:

kopi ... u talk to your clone not sian ah? hahahaha.....notice me and your clone m8sslots have same nick but different point count...hehehehe....

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
kopi ... u talk to your clone not sian ah? hahahaha.....notice me and your clone m8sslots have same nick but different point count...hehehehe....

oh dear how you do it? what's the difference??? old uncle very blur liao...who is who now?

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
u r the master and u r the sifu clone grandmaster....M8SSLOTS and M8SSL0Ts....u r a miracle!!!!....good nite for a wonderful day...thank u for a fun day too....nighteeeeee....z...z....z..zzzz..................z.