• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MOM is either sleeping or not doing enough another STRIKE today

M

Mdm Tang

Re: Trouble In Paradise: Another 40 Workers Go On Strike

The awakening of the foreign workforce?

SINGAPORE: More than 30 workers - from China and India - at a Yishun construction site were involved in a salary dispute on Tuesday, leading to some of them stopping work to demand their pay.

Channel NewsAsia understands the workers are owed between one and four months' pay each.

Ministry of Manpower (MOM) officials were in negotiations with the employers and workers on site since about 6pm Tuesday.

Also present were officials from the Migrant Workers' Centre.

Later Tuesday night, MOM said 25 workers have been paid their outstanding salaries as of 11pm.

Three more will be paid on Wednesday.

MOM is checking on the total number of workers owed their salaries. The Migrant Workers' Centre said more than 30 workers were owed their salaries.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

SINGAPORE: More than 30 workers - from China and India - at a Yishun construction site were involved in a salary dispute on Tuesday, leading to some of them stopping work to demand their pay.

Channel NewsAsia understands the workers are owed between one and four months' pay each.

Ministry of Manpower (MOM) officials were in negotiations with the employers and workers on site since about 6pm Tuesday.

Also present were officials from the Migrant Workers' Centre.

Later Tuesday night, MOM said 25 workers have been paid their outstanding salaries as of 11pm.

Three more will be paid on Wednesday.

MOM is checking on the total number of workers owed their salaries. The Migrant Workers' Centre said more than 30 workers were owed their salaries.

U see,u strike,midnight also they come to pay u salary.
If u don't strike,u wait long long until Jurong also nobody fark care u,u die your business.

M

Mdm Tang

I Not like the name Sime Chong ( sound like Genneva Gold Singapore )

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/se-asia/story/4b-pumped-genneva-gold-scheme-20121031

MOM statement on Sime Chong Construction workers' salary arrears
10:03 PM Dec 18, 2012SINGAPORE - The Ministry Of Manpower has released a statement regarding the Sime Chong Construction workers' salary arrears. Below is the statement in full.

"Since November 2012 when four Chinese workers working for Sime Chong Construction Pte Ltd lodged salary claims at the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), MOM's labour relations officers have been working to resolve the workers' salary arrears. At the same time, we have been investigating the company for Employment Act infringements.

"MOM's labour relations officers have been on site at the Yishun worksite today (Dec 18, 2012). Our preliminary investigations show that some 20 Indian workers did not turn up for work today, as they had not received their November salaries which would have been due by Dec 7. These workers did not previously approach MOM on their salary issues. The company, assisted by the main sub-contractor Asiabuild, is currently working to pay the outstanding salaries to the affected workers within the next 24 hours.

"MOM takes a serious view of employers who do not comply with our employment laws. It is an offence under the Employment Act not to pay their workers. If convicted, they could be jailed up to six months and/or fined up to S$5,000. If the company were solvent, the company will be also made to pay the outstanding salaries. In the unfortunate circumstance that the company was not financially solvent, it is possible that salaries may not be fully paid. When the employer is unable to pay or becomes insolvent, MOM will also explore various avenues to help workers with some relief payment. This includes getting assistance from the principal contractor if there is one. This could happen regardless of whether the workers were local or foreign. Such business risks are present in any employment relationship. This is true also in many leading jurisdictions internationally. MOM hence finds it surprising that Yahoo! chose to only highlight workers' side of the story that the Ministry 'would not be able to do anything' or that workers would face repatriation 'without having their owed salaries recovered'. For serious Employment Act breaches, MOM will take action against the employer, which could include barring them from hiring foreign workers in future and prosecuting them."

M

Mdm Tang

the Agency who awarded the Building contracts should help also mah !!!

M

Mdm Tang

the Agency who awarded the Building contracts should help also mah !!!

http://business.asiaone.com/A1Business/News/Story/A1Story20121219-390393.html

Fresh labour dispute, now at HDB worksite

Jacqueline Woo
My Paper
Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012

TWENTY Indian construction workers did not turn up for work at a Housing Board project site in Yishun yesterday due to unpaid salaries, said the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

MOM said in a statement yesterday that preliminary investigations showed that the workers had not received their salaries for last month, which would have been due by Dec 7. The statement said: "These workers did not previously approach MOM on their salary issues."

Their employer, Sime Chong Construction - assisted by the main sub-contractor, Asiabuild - is currently working to pay the outstanding salaries within the next 24 hours, added MOM.

Four Chinese construction workers from the same firm are said to have stopped work at the Yishun Avenue 6 site since Nov 26. Speaking to reporters yesterday, the workers' supervisor - who gave his name only as Mr Tan - said these workers were owed between $1,000 and $2,000 each.

MOM said yesterday that the four workers had lodged salary claims and that its labour-relations officers have been working to resolve the issue of the workers' salary arrears. MOM added: "At the same time, we have been investigating the company for Employment Act infringements."

Mr Tan explained that he was unable to pay the workers as his car - where he had placed the workers' salary vouchers - was stolen on Monday. He then issued "IOUs" to them and promised to settle the payments within the next few days.

Sime Chong Construction was set up in October last year and employs about 80 workers from India, Bangladesh and China, said Mr Tan.

At about 6pm yesterday, MOM officers were seen entering the site office. It is believed that they held mediation talks with representatives from the Migrant Workers' Centre.

Mr Liu, 32, a Chinese worker from the construction firm, told My Paper he heard that the company has been experiencing financial difficulties. He has been employed by the company for only a month, but heard from his colleagues that it is common for wages to be paid three to four days late.

This incident - at least the fourth labour dispute reported recently - comes in the wake of an illegal strike carried out by SMRT bus drivers from China on Nov 26 and 27.

In a blog post on International Migrants Day yesterday, Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin said that, with foreigners making up one in three workers here, "there will inevitably be employment disagreements or disputes between foreign workers and their employers".

He added that, following changes to the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act this year to stem abuse against foreign workers, MOM is looking at another set of legislative changes next year.

This is "to ensure the well-being of workers, as well as an equitable balance of rights and responsibilities between employers and workers", he said.

Mr Tan added that MOM is working with the Migrant Workers' Centre to produce a video for migrant workers before they come here, to educate them on their employment rights and how to settle any employment disputes amicably.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

After make headline news! On TV and newspaper
MOM wayang! Paid salary so fast in next day.
Do police investigate car stolen story/case?? Hope gossip paper will follow up car stolen reason...............

Before worker already feedback twice more than one month no action. Still comment nothing MOM can do if employer still dont pay.
WTF CCB MOM.............must terminate few of the director and employee in MOM.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

best part MOM says there's nothing they can do if companies not pay up, is that true? Then what the fuck need MOM for?

I see that they are singing the same song. Decades ago I complained to them about my employer short changing me. My employer told me I wasn't entitled to any pro-rated leave. MOM told me that they couldn't help me because I was making too much:eek: They told me I could go to court but not to expect any help from them :rolleyes:

Marquis

U see,u strike,midnight also they come to pay u salary.
If u don't strike,u wait long long until Jurong also nobody fark care u,u die your business.

That's why I participated in the two revolutions. One for France and the other for USA. Ooosah!

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No lah, they are sleeping and not doing enough..

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/Pages/PressReleasesDetail.aspx?listid=475

MOM’s response to media queries on Sime Chong Construction workers’ salary arrears

18 December 2012Since November 2012 when four Chinese workers working for Sime Chong Construction Pte Ltd lodged salary claims at the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), MOM’s labour relations officers have been working to resolve the workers’ salary arrears. At the same time, we have been investigating the company for Employment Act infringements.MOM’s labour relations officers have been on site at the Yishun worksite today (18 Dec 2012). Our preliminary investigations show that some 20 Indian workers did not turn up for work today, as they had not received their November salaries which would have been due by 7th Dec. These workers did not previously approach MOM on their salary issues. The company, assisted by the main sub-contractor Asiabuild, is currently working to pay the outstanding salaries to the affected workers within the next 24 hours.MOM takes a serious view of employers who do not comply with our employment laws. It is an offence under the Employment Act not to pay their workers. If convicted, they could be jailed up to 6 months and/or fined up to $5,000. If the company were solvent, the company will be also made to pay the outstanding salaries. In the unfortunate circumstance that the company was not financially solvent, it is possible that salaries may not be fully paid. This could happen regardless of whether the workers were local or foreign. Such business risks are present in any employment relationship. This is true also in many leading jurisdictions internationally. When the employer is unable to pay or becomes insolvent, MOM will also explore various avenues to help workers with some relief payment. This includes getting assistance from the principal contractor if there is one. MOM hence finds it surprising that Yahoo! chose to only highlight the workers’ side of the story that the Ministry "would not be able to do anything" or that workers would face repatriation "without having their owed salaries recovered." For serious Employment Act breaches, MOM will take action against the employer, which could include barring them from hiring foreign workers in future and prosecuting them.Update as at 18 December 2012 at 2330hrsMOM’s investigations have found that there were 28 workers who were not paid their November salary. 25 of them have since been paid on 18 Dec as at 11.30pm. The remaining 3 were absent, and will be paid when they report to work on 19 Dec.These workers exclude the PRC workers who are on Special Pass and had earlier lodged their claims with MOM.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I see that they are singing the same song. Decades ago I complained to them about my employer short changing me. My employer told me I wasn't entitled to any pro-rated leave. MOM told me that they couldn't help me because I was making too much:eek: They told me I could go to court but not to expect any help from them :rolleyes:

My sentiments....was your company unionized?? if it is worse...you are just paying rates to "devils" that screw you. I have sort MOM over some issues almost like yours before & get the same results. But you see those, China man, Bangalas, Ah Nehs...MOM shiver in their pants for they have now what's that name "migrant workers"..Embassies on their sides...whom do we have..NOTHING!...MOM is scared of foreigners Period. SINgaporeans they screw big time, day in day out..

They even have the guts to go on strike...we??

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My sentiments....was your company unionized?? if it is worse...you are just paying rates to "devils" that screw you. I have sort MOM over some issues almost like yours before & get the same results. But you see those, China man, Bangalas, Ah Nehs...MOM shiver in their pants for they have now what's that name "migrant workers"..Embassies on their sides...whom do we have..NOTHING!...MOM is scared of foreigners Period. SINgaporeans they screw big time, day in day out..

They even have the guts to go on strike...we??

What we have is a world class gov't.
Unfortunately for most of us we don't work for the gov't .

Foreigners are finding out that they can rely on their embassies & support from back home to support them, but as Sporeans we can't even turn to OUR gov't for fair treatment.

Nowadays with the glut of cheaper foreigners life must be very, very difficult for locals looking for decent paying jobs. I see the development of more aggressive foreigners as a positive development. Employers may think twice before hiring a foreigner. They may see hiring locals as an advantage.

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal

If no pay, SInkies will also join in.

Singaporeans have been too conditioned with fear. So it is a good start for PRCs to do it on our behalf and I hope they continue to do so.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Try not paying Singaporeans and then you see how fearful they are. Only difference is that Singaporeans recognise that a deal is a deal, not happy leave. Strike for higher pay? Lanchiow understand.

Singaporeans have been too conditioned with fear. So it is a good start for PRCs to do it on our behalf and I hope they continue to do so.

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal

Try not paying Singaporeans and then you see how fearful they are. Only difference is that Singaporeans recognise that a deal is a deal, not happy leave. Strike for higher pay? Lanchiow understand.

Hopefully the PRCs turn the strike into a weekly affair and always have their issues resolved and that's the time Singaporeans will join in.