• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

migrating to hong kong

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well is migrating to hk the same as migrating to china? If you actually end up living long term in hk how cheap or expensive is it to live in say a decent apartment not those small cramped places that HK has.

Are you allowed to buy property if you're not a HK citizen?

Is HK an expensive city to live in even though the money exchange rate between sing and hk dollar is like 5-6 times does this mean that a sinkie has 5-6 times the spending power of a hk resident or are prices of food,goods, living expenses so high that even with a 5 times higher exchange rate that's not good enough.

Perhaps we can talk about the entertainment aspect. Honestly speaking it seems that after the fame of HK movie stars and cantopop sort of died down so has the thought of actually living in HK. Have there been any changes in HK since it returned to china?

Is HK a crowded place? Does it have tons and tons of mainlanders living in the area?

Do you actually need to speak cantonese to get by? I know that with so many mainlanders in there they probably can speak or at least understand mandarin but you know if you're a sinkie why would you want to be associated with someone from china. I am sure being a sinkie does give you some perks that a mainlander wouldn't have.

Also if you are tourist visiting can you reccommend some places to visit?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is HK an expensive city to live in even though the money exchange rate between sing and hk dollar is like 5-6 times does this mean that a sinkie has 5-6 times the spending power of a hk resident or are prices of food,goods, living expenses so high that even with a 5 times higher exchange rate that's not good enough.

My HK colleague highlighted to me a fresh grad in HK is getting approx. AUD$1,000 per mth. Or SIN$1,300. Sg ppl should not complain any further ;-)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
replies below

well is migrating to hk the same as migrating to china?

Ans. No. SAR resident need permit to visit China. Even HK-borned kids to China parents have no rights to attend schools in China. Laws change all the time, better check the HK SAR Govt website.

If you actually end up living long term in hk how cheap or expensive is it to live in say a decent apartment not those small cramped places that HK has.

Ans. It depends on whether you mind the commuting in small light buses, as opposte to the more expensive franchised bus (eg KMB). Cheaper larger housing are found in further away places in NT.
New laws means void spaces are no longer counted in flat size - take note!!!

And they are less duplication of services between train MTR and franchised buses compared to Singapore.

Are you allowed to buy property if you're not a HK citizen?
Ans. HK foreigners can buy private properties, it is a free market, but the SAR govt has change the rules on selling and try to follow Singapore to curb speculators. The affordability of HK properties is extremely low. Weekly street protests is a sign of this dissatisfaction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ng-announces-property-tax-for-foreigners.html

Ans. Food is still affordable, but cost of living is going up to match the depreciating HKD. No GST in HK.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Hong+Kong

Perhaps we can talk about the entertainment aspect. Honestly speaking it seems that after the fame of HK movie stars and cantopop sort of died down so has the thought of actually living in HK. Have there been any changes in HK since it returned to china?

Ans. Big changes.
1. HK stars are moving to mainland to develop. Fewer cantopop stars.
2. Mandarin is cool now in HK.
3. RMB is accepted in the shops.
4. Quality of goods have gone down since colonial days.
5. The salaries in HK middle class continues to drop since the handover to China, while minimum wages protect the poorest workers.

Is HK a crowded place? Does it have tons and tons of mainlanders living in the area?
Ans. Yes, Yes. There are many mainlanders due to HK govt policies to counter low birth rates, emigration and economic slowdown. Mainlander tourists can be found squatting along the streetkerbs near the China Ferry Terminal. Mainlanders do crowd in NT and the immigration crossings, but the economic slowdown in HK and southern China and high RMB power means mainlanders.

http://www.chinahush.com/2011/05/18...rants-from-the-mainland-hong-kong-is-unhappy/

Do you actually need to speak cantonese to get by?

Ans. Try to speak Cantonese for better service. Mandarin is understood in general but the response may be in Cantonese.

I know that with so many mainlanders in there they probably can speak or at least understand mandarin but you know if you're a sinkie why would you want to be associated with someone from china. I am sure being a sinkie does give you some perks that a mainlander wouldn't have.

Ans. not sure what you are after. Mainlanders are respected for bringing in money. Mainlanders, despite their country behaviour, is still part of their Greater China flocks together with Taiwanese.
Singaporean/Malaysian Chinese are a step down, not so close, because our Singlish is better.

Also if you are tourist visiting can you reccommend some places to visit?

Find out youself. There is an excellent website, http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/index.jsp

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah_rastafar_I said:
Is HK an expensive city to live in even though the money exchange rate between sing and hk dollar is like 5-6 times does this mean that a sinkie has 5-6 times the spending power of a hk resident or are prices of food,goods, living expenses so high that even with a 5 times higher exchange rate that's not good enough

neddy said:
Ans. Food is still affordable, but cost of living is going up to match the depreciating HKD. No GST in HK. http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ntry=Hong+Kong
It's all relative to purchasing parity. McDonald's index (by Economist) is 1 indicator:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/01/daily-chart-3

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why Singaporeans should appreciate their what their government has done. Compare to the dirt cheap countries, they are way better..

Of course, when comparing to Australia, Canada or America.... Yay !! We are better :smile:

it's worse in taiwan.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah, you got lobang in HK? :p

Apartment stay in HK (especially in good areas like Mid Levels on island side, not Kowloon) not cheap, and tiny shoebox size. Unless you got expat perks, lodging is a big chunk of your income. A family member worked in HK for 2 years lived to tell. Of course, you stay in New Territories end and commute.

Guess, you could ask streetsmart here for his expertise

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any samsters here migrated to or worked for a long time in HK?

Worked in HK 4 abt 3 yrs with an MNC a few yrs back. My pay was around HK$45k a mth, really a lot better dan wat u get in Sgp. Food is little exp bcos dey dun have Hawker centres der but ur pay is high so dat compensates 4 it. Apptms r a little exp, quality of life however is better dan Sgp. Better 4 u 2 noe Cantonese, Mandarin is all rite but de trouble is, many of dem mite mistake u 4 a PRC.

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why Singaporeans should appreciate their what their government has done. Compare to the dirt cheap countries, they are way better..

Of course, when comparing to Australia, Canada or America.... Yay !! We are better :smile:

Sgp was nice in dos days , till dey opend de floodgates 2 ah nehs fm ah neh land. Now quality of life in de dot sucks!!!!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How is crime rate like in HK? Is it as safe as SG? Are the triads still active?

HK is OK. You do not see the criminal elements unless you patronise their territories. They operate in the dark, away from public eyes.

Places like sections of Shanghai Street, Portland Street in Kowloon. Seedy hostess bars, saunas, massage parlours, short-time hotels, illegal gambling places. You get the pimps, debt collectors, fake goods, fake boobs, hard drug, party drug suppliers.

Singapore have some of these, HK also have more of them, all try to have legit front.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Worked in HK 4 abt 3 yrs with an MNC a few yrs back. My pay was around HK$45k a mth, really a lot better dan wat u get in Sgp. Food is little exp bcos dey dun have Hawker centres der but ur pay is high so dat compensates 4 it. Apptms r a little exp, quality of life however is better dan Sgp. Better 4 u 2 noe Cantonese, Mandarin is all rite but de trouble is, many of dem mite mistake u 4 a PRC.

45k HKD is around like 7.2kSGD right?

Where did u stay?

Honestly after watching HK movies you sort of know how their streets look like.

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Where did u stay?

Yes. Dats rite. Pay is much higher dan Sgp & so is de qlty of life. Stayed in Wan Chai, appt rental abt HK$10k/mth but small, 1 bdrm & 1 bthrm. Was still single dan so ok mah. A lot of PRC mei meis, HK girls oso ok but a little materialistic. 1 of my frens hu went der is a PR now. Thot of getting PR in HK at least if I get married & my son born der no need 2 serve NS mah but KNN due 2 GFC, co retrench ppl so lan lan hav 2 cum back 2 sgp. Now my pay here is lower dan wat I used 2 draw in HK. But now, I think things have picked up again, Big bro China is der so sum spill over effect.:biggrin: My fav actor is Andy Lau, Ev X watch HK movies, remind me of de gd life back in HK. Now oredi married have a son. Am trying 4 a job again in HK. If I get, gd. May b get perm res der (fingers crossed). :smile: If u r really serious abt HK, u can apply 4 a job der & get a co 2 sponsor u. Dat way itll b easy. All de best bro.:smile:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude, in HK they are cantonese proud. Unlike Sg keep bashing their own ppl.

I remembered before 1997, my wife (gf then) went shopping @ Lady Street.. Spoke mandarin to hawker, kena yelled by the hawker & was told to get out ! She complained to me & i fucked the fellow with fluent cantonese. The hawker apologised as he didnt know she's my "lui" (gf) and given her 20% discount.

In HK, if you dont speak Cantonese, ya considered 2nd class :smile:

Where did u stay?

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is my take on HK. Never lived there but I go to HK a few times a year. My social circle is upper middle class.

In terms of making money, the pay is better, pace is faster and China opportunities aplenty.

SG guys are hot stuff in Asia now - at least it is for me, even though I am married, fat and ugly. If you are single, the party scene should be HOT for you! But pls, NO SINGLISH.

Food is good in HK. They have certain protocols when it comes to the import of meats and vegetables, since they hafta import everything (same as SG). They may not have hawker centres but I find their Cha Can Tengs affordable.

Crime - avoid the sleazy areas and you will do ok.

Transport - Public transport is good but the taxis will often try to pull a fast one. Take the long route, pretend to be lost, quote a flat rate, those sort of nonsense. Happened 50% of the time to me. Maybe they try those nonsense on me cos they see me walking out of a bar.

Living environment sucks. Air is dirty. Squeezy. Buildings look old. Apartment is small.

Conclusion- good place if you are not married. the best place for working hard and partying harder. But if you are married, stick with SG.