• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Middle-ground voter explain why she voted for PAP this time.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sorry hor. PAP hardcore supporters only 30 plus percent (those voted for TT), so final number still depends on swing voters.

If all swing voters think is bull shit, then all vote against PAP. Then PAP.still be Government?

Beside they were lots if talk of a freak elections and some even suggest a coup if PAP loses.

You forgot that GE is not the same as presidential election. GE2011 sees only 60% PAP voters yet PAP had 93% seats. Your logic is flawed.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a classic middle-ground voter. I am not a die-hard supporter of any party - I support the one with the most rational and convincing plans. In the past, I've voted both for white and for opposition. Over the past 9 days, I've been bombarded with all sorts of rhetoric and passionate pleas on my feed. But for a want-to-be-rational voter, many of the posts annoyed me tremendously. When you hurl attacks, act yaya papaya, it makes me want to vote your party less. When opposition supporters accuse Ministers of doing nothing but collect their $1m paycheck and shake leg, it makes me want to vote white. Conversely, when people tell me to "vote wisely", it makes me want to vote blue. When will people learn that trying to arm-twist others into following your political beliefs has the OPPOSITE effect?

I hear a lot of opposition supporters say they need change, for action. PAP is no action, talk only. This makes me laugh. You only need to talk to people on the ground, the everyday folks, to know that the ruling party had been very busy working their asses off since GE11. I've spoken to so many people who told me that while they want opposition, their MP helped them in this and that. In other words, while the keyboard warriors have been making assumptions about the MIW, painting them as ivory tower caricatures, the MIW have been quietly winning the hearts and votes of their electorate over the past four years. It's very difficult not to vote your MP in when they helped you get a HDB flat or a job.

Using the same argument, what did the opposition DO over the past four years? For many silently watching by the side, WP did nothing, at least nothing that could be chalked up as significant in Parliament. In GE11, people voted WP because they felt PAP was getting too big for their britches. In GE15, many people felt that WP had taken over those britches. A vote is a pledge of trust, not a prize. When people feel that you don't measure up to what is entrusted to you, they take it away the next time. It's a very level-headed decision.

What I'm saying is this was no freak result. No, people didn't vote white because they were scared PAP would not form gahmen. No, it wasn't the new citizens. Don't flatter yourself. As it turned out, the gerrymandering was needless anyway, the swing was so big it wouldn't have mattered. As Cherian George said, Singaporeans are a very pragmatic electorate. People can talk till they're blue in the face about more voices in Parliament but guess what, a voice is just that - a voice. The vast majority of Singaporeans have indicated that they don't want empty talk. They want people who DO. Stop posturing with your big words and your grand ideas. How will you make those ideas happen?

I have since last night, come to realise that majority of Singaporeans are inner rebels. We don't like confrontation so we may not respond to arguments we don't agree with. But it doesn't mean we don't have our own minds and we make our own assessments. The more you shout, the more I'm convinced you are a lunatic and I will show it secretly in the polls. In fact, all the sour grapes by candidates and supporters that have since appeared online only prove to those who voted white that they've indeed made the right choice. Amchio-ing, they are. Incidentally, threatening fellow Singaporeans that they will pay for this decision is akin to LKY threatening Aljunied they will have to repent. See how well that worked out?

Do I wish there are more alternative voices in Parliament? Yes. Do I think it was an unfair playing ground? Yes. But do I think this result is therefore invalid? Not at all. Again, the Singaporean electorate is pragmatic, not stupid. Don't be so bloody condescending. It would do well for the opposition to realise that the best way to win votes is simply to WORK for them. The MIW figured this out the last GE. That's why they're back.

I've read the above carefully, and unbiased without any political affinity, and I try to understand the above article.

What I can decipher from the codes above with that person's thinking is:

WE SINGAPOREANS LOVE TO BE FUCKED BY PAP GOVERNMENT, AS LONG AS YOU GIVE US A JOB AND A PIGEON HOLE, I'LL BE HAPPY. IF I HAVE A JOB, AND A PIGEON HOLE, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH SINGAPORE.

My rationale and thinking:

Yes, Singaporeans are pragmatic, no guts to challenge the norm, want status quo, although want an alternative voice in Parliament, DO NOT WANT TO SACRIFICE their own well being, for FEAR of being "MARKED" by the PAP government should they be working for the Government of Singapore or any of her affiliated agencies.

Funny thing is that the writer do admit that it's unfair playing ground.

And another funny thing is, how can the alternative opposition party DO ANYTHING when they are not in Parliament? The current opposition party obviously can't do squats, with such a small representation.

I believe a lot of small startups have asked Singapore Government for help before, but were given pittance that can't even cover for the expensive ACRA Fees!

The PAP policies of making everyone CPF Rich and CASH POOR strategy is already working since 20 years ago! I urge you brothers to read the following article, which the late

J.B. Jeyaretnam mentioned https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Jeyaretnam

and if you are serious about finding out what J.B. Jeyaretnam was saying about LKY's way in Government, here is the article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolò_Machiavelli

Search for Machiavelli's political treatise titled THE PRINCE... if you finish reading that Political Treatise, and at the same time, READ THE HISTORY OF SINGAPORE from before PAP came into power, and until LKY's demise, you'll have a good idea that LKY followed Machiavelli's way of political stance to the people, the merchants, the rich... Nothing to worry about the poor, but it's the Rich that you must have influence over...

Another note is, Singaporeans are simply too lazy to find out her own history, and just want to make a lot of Complaints, do not want to improve themselves, and hope that by changing a government can improve their lives. The truth is, even if we have entirely changed the PAP government, our lives would be more or less the same... there is no big difference...

It's only yourself that can change your reality.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think what really sealed it for PAP was that Opposition contested in ALL wards. Including those that PAP will pao chiak like AMK, TP, Jurong GRC.

This frightened the shit out of most middle ground voters who still wants PAP to be Government, but wants an opposing voice in Parliament.

During the years of GE being demoted to BE, the contest wards do not necessarily give sympathy votes to the opposition. In fact, when PAP can form the government on Nomination Day, the surviving votes tend to vote for PAP too because the contesting PAP candidates can offer upgrading, new train stations, bus services and other improvements during their campaign speeches.

People will still vote for the candidate that can best take them forward regardless of GE or BE. Not contesting all the seats also is a sign of surrender before the first shot is fired.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a classic middle-ground voter. I am not a die-hard supporter of any party - I support the one with the most rational and convincing plans. In the past, I've voted both for white and for opposition. Over the past 9 days, I've been bombarded with all sorts of rhetoric and passionate pleas on my feed. But for a want-to-be-rational voter, many of the posts annoyed me tremendously. When you hurl attacks, act yaya papaya, it makes me want to vote your party less. When opposition supporters accuse Ministers of doing nothing but collect their $1m paycheck and shake leg, it makes me want to vote white. Conversely, when people tell me to "vote wisely", it makes me want to vote blue. When will people learn that trying to arm-twist others into following your political beliefs has the OPPOSITE effect?

I hear a lot of opposition supporters say they need change, for action. PAP is no action, talk only. This makes me laugh. You only need to talk to people on the ground, the everyday folks, to know that the ruling party had been very busy working their asses off since GE11. I've spoken to so many people who told me that while they want opposition, their MP helped them in this and that. In other words, while the keyboard warriors have been making assumptions about the MIW, painting them as ivory tower caricatures, the MIW have been quietly winning the hearts and votes of their electorate over the past four years. It's very difficult not to vote your MP in when they helped you get a HDB flat or a job.

Using the same argument, what did the opposition DO over the past four years? For many silently watching by the side, WP did nothing, at least nothing that could be chalked up as significant in Parliament. In GE11, people voted WP because they felt PAP was getting too big for their britches. In GE15, many people felt that WP had taken over those britches. A vote is a pledge of trust, not a prize. When people feel that you don't measure up to what is entrusted to you, they take it away the next time. It's a very level-headed decision.

What I'm saying is this was no freak result. No, people didn't vote white because they were scared PAP would not form gahmen. No, it wasn't the new citizens. Don't flatter yourself. As it turned out, the gerrymandering was needless anyway, the swing was so big it wouldn't have mattered. As Cherian George said, Singaporeans are a very pragmatic electorate. People can talk till they're blue in the face about more voices in Parliament but guess what, a voice is just that - a voice. The vast majority of Singaporeans have indicated that they don't want empty talk. They want people who DO. Stop posturing with your big words and your grand ideas. How will you make those ideas happen?

I have since last night, come to realise that majority of Singaporeans are inner rebels. We don't like confrontation so we may not respond to arguments we don't agree with. But it doesn't mean we don't have our own minds and we make our own assessments. The more you shout, the more I'm convinced you are a lunatic and I will show it secretly in the polls. In fact, all the sour grapes by candidates and supporters that have since appeared online only prove to those who voted white that they've indeed made the right choice. Amchio-ing, they are. Incidentally, threatening fellow Singaporeans that they will pay for this decision is akin to LKY threatening Aljunied they will have to repent. See how well that worked out?

Do I wish there are more alternative voices in Parliament? Yes. Do I think it was an unfair playing ground? Yes. But do I think this result is therefore invalid? Not at all. Again, the Singaporean electorate is pragmatic, not stupid. Don't be so bloody condescending. It would do well for the opposition to realise that the best way to win votes is simply to WORK for them. The MIW figured this out the last GE. That's why they're back.

cut this long crap story short, this arsehole basically wants his cake and eat it too i. e. balless and selfish sinkie.
quote" ..I have since last night, come to realise that majority of Singaporeans are inner rebels. We don't like confrontation so we may not respond to arguments we don't agree with.......">>>coward and balless and selfish, greedy. basically future is screwed.
next time this cretin gets screwed by a FT or lose his job I would say you vote for it. hahhah I bet my last dollar it would happened.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just a PAP supporter who does not have the balls to admit he supports the PAP. If you are truly pragmatic, you don't react to threats. You react to pragmatism.

Now being pragmatic is also a cover up for being ball-less and selfish.

parrardee

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is exactly it but idiots like winniepeg and hans etc will not understand this. They keep their senseless ranting and all that will happen is that what they wish for wont happen.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Look at the slate of Opposition candidates put up by the WP and SDP. They have stronger credentials than the FAP's. Unfortunately, the FAP controls the mainstream media from and they do not receive due attention. Lagi worse, they even tried to smear them. Combined with a largely depoliticized electorate, short of going hungry, no matter how 'good' the opposition is, the electorate has been too so overfed with the FAP morphine to vote otherwise.

I thought all these while we all agree that social media is more effective than MSMs?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is the type of fence sitters that does not know why she should push on to vote for the sake of his children.

1. Say NO to 6.9M;

2. Say Give ME back my CPF@55.

3. So NO to NSF slavery for Singaporeans, jobs for FTs.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Which goes to show how uninformed and gullible the electorate is. Anyone with some basic info will know that there is no way PAP will lose the govt.

But before 11 Sep 15 8 pm, that is not what the people, especially netizens says. The forummers here sound as if PAP will be confirmed out! NO?

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You forgot that GE is not the same as presidential election. GE2011 sees only 60% PAP voters yet PAP had 93% seats. Your logic is flawed.

We are talking about the Simple Majorty and not the number seats in Parliament. Remember Najib has 46.75% simple majority, but he is still the Government.

As a guide, this would be the breakdown. Those who voted for :

1. Tony Tan - Hardcore PAP supporters
2. Tan Cheng Bock - middle ground/Swing voters
3. Tan Jee Say - Hardcore PAP haters

Of course, this is only a guide and not the actual political inclination.

Go ask yourself, friends and family who you all voted for in the last PE and you measure it against their real inclination, for, against or neutral towards PAP.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Fuck! Didn't realise I was a middle ground/swing voter. :eek::biggrin:

We are talking about the Simple Majorty and not the number seats in Parliament. Remember Najib has 46.75% simple majority, but he is still the Government.

As a guide, this would be the breakdown. Those who voted for :

1. Tony Tan - Hardcore PAP supporters
2. Tan Cheng Bock - middle ground/Swing voters
3. Tan Jee Say - Hardcore PAP haters

Of course, this is only a guide and not the actually inclination.

Go ask yourself, friends and family who you all voted for in the last PE and you measure it against their real inclination, towards, against or neutral towards PAP.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cut this long crap story short, this arsehole basically wants his cake and eat it too i. e. balless and selfish sinkie. .

Not only wants his cake and eat it. This category also want to ta pao the cake home for family and friends. S'poreans will be S'poreans.

I can understand if they reject the many lemons contesting. But how they rejected opposition candidates in Fengshan, EC, MP, H-BT, PP and PE

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
During the years of GE being demoted to BE, the contest wards do not necessarily give sympathy votes to the opposition. In fact, when PAP can form the government on Nomination Day, the surviving votes tend to vote for PAP too because the contesting PAP candidates can offer upgrading, new train stations, bus services and other improvements during their campaign speeches.

People will still vote for the candidate that can best take them forward regardless of GE or BE. Not contesting all the seats also is a sign of surrender before the first shot is fired.

That is your opinion.

But fact is, for Punggol East, look at the results for GE 2011, PE 2013 and GE 2015. The answer is on the wall!

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
talk cock. what can the 7 opposition mp do in parliament and with limited resources do in tc?

jw5

Loyal
The By election results for Punggol East were because the sinkie charbors were unhappy about the mango incident. :o:biggrin:

That is your opinion.

But fact is, for Punggol East, look at the results for GE 2011, PE 2013 and GE 2015. The answer is on the wall!

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If we cant do much then how to increase?

Sometimes not doing more could actually achieve more. Chinese phrase is 与退为进

- Stay low.
- Agree with PAP if they are good.
- Disagree with PAP if they are wrong
- DO NOT KPKB that PAP will be replace
- Emphasize on the Checker Role
- Complain a bit
- Suggest a Balanced Parliament with PAP as Government and Opposition as checkers.

Then middle voters shiok shiok, feel comfortable with the Oppositions and they vote for Opposition.

End result - Opposition will get more seats in the next GE 2020.

After Opposition win enough seats, then they chut pattern in front of PAP. 2020 is too early to chut pattern.

与退为进