• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Michelin Star Hawker Chan To Expand Chicken Rice Business To India! Majulah CECA! Majulah PAP!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ildcfibo_hawker_625x300_12_December_19.jpg

| Updated: December 12, 2019 17:00 ISTTweeterfacebookReddit
World's Cheapest Michelin-Star Meal Now In India, Only For This Weekend

World's Cheapest Michelin-Star Meal Now In India, Only For This WeekendSingapore-based Chan Hon Meng, better known as Hawker Chan, will bring his signature dish to Indian cities of Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai, at a major food carnival 'Zomaland' by Zomato.IANS

His culinary journey began during his daily preparation for the family's meals, and today, Liao Fan Hawker Chan is the proud chef behind The World First Hawker Michelin-starred Meal, a humble two-dollar street food dish made from soya sauce, chicken, rice and noodles.

Singapore-based Chan Hon Meng, better known as Hawker Chan, will bring his signature dish to Indian cities of Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai, at a major food carnival 'Zomaland' by Zomato. The three-day Delhi edition of Zomaland kicks off on Friday.

How did it all begin?
The award winning chef with over 30 years of experience, started learning under a Hong Kong chef at the age of 15. With a belief that good food should be made simple and affordable, he learned and developed this soya sauce chicken recipe.

In 2009, he started a hawker stall Liao Fan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle in Singapore -- which is now a quick-service concept restaurant and sees thousands of national and international tourists lined up for a taste of the renowned dish.

He also told IANSlife that there is a possibility of setting up shop here in India.

The award of one Michelin Star from Michelin Guide Singapore in July 2016 came as a moment of great pride for the chef. "It was beyond my imagination that my humble soya sauce recipe would be recognised by the most prestigious Michelin Guide and awarded the titles 'The World First Hawker Michelin-starred Meal' and 'The Cheapest Michelin-starred Meal in The Word'," he told IANSlife.

Asked about his views on Singapore's culinary scene, he said it has always been regarded as a paradise for foodies, given its diverse culinary offerings which suit every budget. "The varied range of dining options caters to food lovers from all walks of life. The city's local street fare is a delicious melting pot of Singapore's diverse cultures, while the country's vibrant fine dining scene has emerged as one of the world's most exciting, featuring many celebrity chef restaurants."

With the Indian diaspora adding its own touch with spices, he said that Singapore's diverse food scene has been enriched by Indians.

"Food Festivals provide a platform to showcase distinctive food cultures from across the world and for restaurateurs and chefs to earn recognition globally. It also gives visitors a chance to witness diverse dining alternatives and cultural food heritage from different parts of the world."

Hawker Chan will be in India in association with Singapore Tourism Board (STB), He will be at the 'Singapore Experience Zone' at Zomaland Season 2 in the JLN Stadium here from December 13-15.

https://food.ndtv.com/news/worlds-c...al-now-in-india-only-for-this-weekend-2147807

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
So he can now employ the SG pioneer Uncles to also help him clean tables....steal the jobs from the Ah Nehs.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The food quality has dropped since the Michelin award. Now he's expanding and going auto-pilot on fame.

I was patronizing the Chinatown Complex hawker stall long before it got Michelin'ed.

By the way, there's a Hawker Chan outlet in Pattaya. It's at one of the malls along Pattaya's Beach Road.

Insider Player

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why India? I think go Indonesia or Thailand got higher chance of success.
If he got really got balls should go Taiwan China or hk set up shop to compete

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm will fail. but the media will write like it's the best foreign food India has tasted since clean water

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hawker Chan thinks Ah Neh like his chicken. Most Ah Nehs are vegetarians lah. Shows how PAP lackeys are stupid.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even in melb, one serving is less than what is expected to feed an angmo and quite expensive.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quite good business acumen sell for three dollars franchise license probably 300k somemore come with star

Chinatown Complex hawker stall:

Chicken rice before Michelin star = $2

Chicken rice after** Michelin star = $2.80

40% increase in price, huat ah! :biggrin:

**Price hike didn't immediately happen after the Michelin award, there was a transition period (signboard change, addition of a queue divider etc) of about less than a year.

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
You see they Loong's team are right,
CECA does bring opportunities and create job/business for Singaporean esp in India.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Insider Player

Alfrescian
Loyal
I pity the dumbfuck fans of this shop.
I think that shorty also never imagine he’ll be so lucky or maybe got some kelong.
There’s never been anything great about his food all along.
It was somewhat “famous” for selling average fare for cheap prices. In other words value for money.
And they used to have a mini queue always back then before the Michelin Star. And that was because the guy was understaff and slow. But the customers still queue coz it was cheap. The key word here is cheap. He was never known for his food being exceptionally delicious.
Then Michelin people somehow liked his food and he became a superstar. I think shorty still scratching his head on his dumb luck.
But the real dumbfucks are the ones who queue for hours.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I pity the dumbfuck fans of this shop.
I think that shorty also never imagine he’ll be so lucky or maybe got some kelong.
There’s never been anything great about his food all along.
It was somewhat “famous” for selling average fare for cheap prices. In other words value for money.
And they used to have a mini queue always back then before the Michelin Star. And that was because the guy was understaff and slow. But the customers still queue coz it was cheap. The key word here is cheap. He was never known for his food being exceptionally delicious.
Then Michelin people somehow liked his food and he became a superstar. I think shorty still scratching his head on his dumb luck.
But the real dumbfucks are the ones who queue for hours.

The soy sauce chicken was quite good. Hard to find another stall that came close. Even though there was a long queue during the pre-Michelin era, people gladly queued up for its food.

After it got famous, standards dropped, prices increased, and it was obvious the proprietor was more focused on massively expanding his business. Can't blame him for that.

Insider Player

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was good at best. Not worthy of a Michelin Star.
Off hand I can think of Maria Cordero’s which is much better. This one was from the old Nam Tong heritage that was famous in Chinatown. Another stalwart of Chinatown...the 2 chew kees that hailed from Haikee also can match this Liao Fan even though their standards also dropped.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a joke....Michelin star is awarded to restaurants of fine dining, service and repute.

I am sure other accomplished chefs who earned Michelin stars for their fine dining restaurants are fucking pissed with this hawker stall.