• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MDA wants $50,000.00 from Sam?

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Heng Ah! Sammyboy.Com is not a news site PAP CB wants to close TR AGAIN

some times, you get the breaking news here! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

more that that, you also get to know nuggets of info that ordinary locals are not privy to, apart from free engrish grammar and sentence construction....:*:

Samthaikong

Alfrescian
Loyal
776248733.jpg

Why you have your own banana dont touch. You like to touch others ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: New licensing scheme for news websites that reach 50,000 people a month

99.999% of the guys in the forum have nothing to fear.

It's not a matter of fearing. The fact is that this little policy of the MDA is morally repugnant.

Just as we were moving away from radio and tv license fees, this had to happen.

This news site licensing serves no other purpose except to be an indirect form of censorship.
Obviously, the main target within its crosshairs is Yahoo Singapore.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's not a matter of fearing. The fact is that this little policy of the MDA is morally repugnant.

This news site licensing serves no other purpose except to be an indirect form of censorship.

Tell YAHOO to redirect us all away from SINgapore pages..& that would solve their fees...I don't want to be directed to SINgapore pages..YAHOO, MSN, YOUTUBE< GOOGLE....& they would not have any SINgapore visitors at all...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yahoo should relocate its APAC office to Malaysia.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not you bro, you are a straight shooter. Agree that it is wrong and the intention is certainly to control message, content and free speech. They know that most people such as VW and AA will not fight a slander case even if they were right as it is a costly exercise. But Yahoo will fight and cannot be bullied so they are using the licensing mechanism and use the religious harmony bogeyman argument to put it across.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Amidst all the outcry of foul play, I don't recall reading any comments from the WP. Or have they commented and I missed it?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Not you bro, you are a straight shooter. Agree that it is wrong and the intention is certainly to control message, content and free speech. They know that most people such as VW and AA will not fight a slander case even if they were right as it is a costly exercise. But Yahoo will fight and cannot be bullied so they are using the licensing mechanism and use the religious harmony bogeyman argument to put it across.

Agree. Yahoo has been on their radar since GE2011 and this law is just about one site that has gained mainstream media status whilst preserving their commitment to fair and balanced reporting. They have no interest in TRE and their various incarnations, nor in Alex Au, Jolovan, etc.

They also don't want another Malaysiakini to take root.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I don't know what all the fuss is. The policy looks nice on paper but is impossible to implement in reality so just carry on with life and concentrate on worrying about the things that matter.

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal

And despite all this talk of Yahoo, this new regulation will allow this government the mechanism to act against any potential media entity which becomes as potent as Yahoo SG. Remember this when some foreign based person hears of this in the future (no matter how far) and decides to do satire of our country every day till he hits 50,000 unique visitors from SG and see what MDA can do against him.

The point is, at the end of the day, I am just disappointed with the level they have been reduced to acting on - "The first country in the world that is a democracy to attempt to control to regulate what the Internet says about its government". For all the money we pay to the monkeys, they still don't understand this sort of thing is not really done unless you want people to compare you to North Korea, China and non-democratic countries. Smart people know brute force trauma is not the way to go - in the west, the mainstream media is softened with continual engagement, preferential access and relationship building; for more info, you can read Noam Choamsky's Manufacturing Consent.

I guess at the end of the day, they are really just all monkeys.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sam will gladly pay $50k if the PAP guarantees him a profit of $250k. :biggrin:

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will agree that Yahoo stood out and they are a target. However, they are a means to an end and not the final goal. Yahoo is only one of many examples they will put down as reminders to the rest that follow in the same footsteps.

Their final goal is for anyone or any group with a site about Singapore to create their own mental boundaries on what they can or cannot write, because the ruling party says so.

Is this how you develop the most precious resource the country has - its people? By making them censure their own thoughts and eliminating ideas and experiments that may create a virtuous cycle of societal and economic improvement?

We have had one minister after another, and their faithful allegiances say things like:

- degree not a guarantee of a good job

- flooding is once in a fifty-year event

- housing is affordable, subsidies aplenty

- healthcare is affordable, $8 only for a bypass

- 3 meals a day in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant

- there is no agriculture in Singapore

- cheaper, better and faster and then minimize the downside and maximize the upside

- amongst so many other remarks over the past decade

All the while, problems are flaring up with increasing frequency and greater scale of impact.

While those capable ones who remain in the country try their darnest best to do what they can, they are no match for the majority of their fellow countrymen who continue to vote them into power and continue the slow massacre of the past 20 years into the next 20 years.

And all this while, the best and brightest, the most determined and capable who have left the country, but still hold it dear and would want to return eventually, do not seriously intend to, because they see a bunch of very insular and narrow-minded people leading this country into ruin. Do you think they would want their family and future generations to suffer these "leaders'" mistakes?

This is one of many nails into the coffin over the decades that have affirmed people's decision to leave and not look back... except with sadness.

And Yahoo stood out. There have been no other significant presence in this space for the last 3 years. You don't roll out something like that when 9 of the 10 are within your sphere of control. Nobody sits in the office and rolls out something unless there is something to redress.

Tell me if Yahoo was not there, would they roll this out?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is one of many nails into the coffin over the decades that have affirmed people's decision to leave and not look back... except with sadness.

Yes I am very sad to have left. Singapore is so much better than NZ in so many ways.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
So true. So many things to love about Singapore compared to Canada too.

- the proximity and accessibility of amenities within a few mins walk within HDB housing estates compared to a few kilometres walk across barren land

- the wonderful warm weather in Singapore compared to the freezing cold up to 5 months a year anywhere in Canada

- the many job opportunities and business opportunities in Singapore compared to low income and ridiculous taxes across all Canadian provinces

- the diverse and tolerant population in Singapore compared to blatant racism in Canada

I could name a lot more if not for the overwhelming sadness in me.

Yes I am very sad to have left. Singapore is so much better than NZ in so many ways.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
So true. So many things to love about Singapore compared to Canada too.

- the proximity and accessibility of amenities within a few mins walk within HDB housing estates compared to a few kilometres walk across barren land

- the wonderful warm weather in Singapore compared to the freezing cold up to 5 months a year anywhere in Canada

- the many job opportunities and business opportunities in Singapore compared to low income and ridiculous taxes across all Canadian provinces

- the diverse and tolerant population in Singapore compared to blatant racism in Canada

I could name a lot more if not for the overwhelming sadness in me.

Gosh I feel sad for you. What are you waiting for, come back lah! Come home to the loving arms of the PAP.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How do they get the money from? Do they even know who Sam is?

Got an email from a friend few months ago that the police already know who Sam is and where he is located :wink: the reason why he is not busted because the government want to continue to spy on this website :wink: