• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MAS lost $10 billion

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Strong Singapore dollar sends MAS into overall loss for year ended March[/h][h=2][/h]
By Yasmine Yahya

<!--start of story text-->The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) recorded an overall loss of $10.6 billion for the year ended March 2013, after taking into account the translation effects from an stronger Singapore dollar.
"We made good investment returns but when measured in Singapore dollars, these gains were more than offset by the strength of the currency," said MAS managing director Ravi Menon at the release of the central bank's annual report on Tuesday.
The central bank made investment gains of $8.9 billion for the year, down from $12 billion the year before, due mainly to lower interest income as interest rates declined.
Meanwhile, Mr Menon said the Singapore economy will "comfortably meet" the central bank's forecast of a 1 to 3 per cent expansion this year on the back of a gradual recovery in the external environment.
<!--end of story text-->

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Strong Singapore dollar sends MAS into overall loss for year ended March[/h][h=2][/h]
By Yasmine Yahya

<!--start of story text-->The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) recorded an overall loss of $10.6 billion for the year ended March 2013, after taking into account the translation effects from an stronger Singapore dollar.
"We made good investment returns but when measured in Singapore dollars, these gains were more than offset by the strength of the currency," said MAS managing director Ravi Menon at the release of the central bank's annual report on Tuesday.
The central bank made investment gains of $8.9 billion for the year, down from $12 billion the year before, due mainly to lower interest income as interest rates declined.

Meanwhile, Mr Menon said the Singapore economy will "comfortably meet" the central bank's forecast of a 1 to 3 per cent expansion this year on the back of a gradual recovery in the external environment.
<!--end of story text-->

A lost is a lost, don't bullshit. :oIo::kma:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What type of investments? Aren't central banks supposed to go for low risk type of investments mainly for hedging purposes?
One sentence report and that's it? 10 billion bucks.
Who made the call, no one need to account?

jw5

Loyal
There is a place where they can get back the 10 billion toothpicks.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MAS is central bank and holds foreign reserves. Hence the forex lost if convert to singapore dollars. If MAS make a lost as measured in USD or a basket of currencies, then we need to worry.

I have very high regards for MAS...how could they as a central banker losses 10 billion? nvm, they can borrow from the perpectual bank in SINgapore, Central Perpetual Fund...easily 10 bn can cover in no time...ha ha ha just ask PAUL!

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have very high regards for MAS...how could they as a central banker losses 10 billion? nvm, they can borrow from the perpectual bank in SINgapore, Central Perpetual Fund...easily 10 bn can cover in no time...ha ha ha just ask PAUL!
MAS keeps bulk of assets in foreign currency, like usd govt bonds, EU bonds etc. that's why the account is called foreign reserves. Economic 101 hor.

Naturally, if sgd strengthen, then all these foreign assets will automatically be lower in sgd terms.

If sgd weakens, then MAS will show a nice profit without doing anything.

All just paper play. Not like the bank investments by temasick. That one is real loss.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MAS keeps bulk of assets in foreign currency, like usd govt bonds, EU bonds etc. that's why the account is called foreign reserves. Economic 101 hor.

Naturally, if sgd strengthen, then all these foreign assets will automatically be lower in sgd terms.

All just paper play. Not like the bank investments by temasick. That one is real loss.

I know MAS, but I am bewildered even if it is a paper loss or?...very unusual for MAS...the institution that I really do admire...they might have too many of the 'dark colored kind' inside...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aren't they supposed to do hedging to prevent such things?
It is not paper play anymore if the sgd keeps strengthening right?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Knnbccb made good investments but still lost money, knnbccb talk like a farking indian!

AhGuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they park the reserves in EUR, USD denominated govt bonds. When yields are converted back to a strong SGD, they lose in FX.

Also, the interest rates have been edging up. Bond prices collapsing. So mark-to-market, the bond portfolio has been losing money and the yields earned are not enough to compensate for the capital losses. Will lose more if global interest rates go up higher.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..reserves in EUR, USD denominated govt bonds. When yields are converted back to a strong SGD, they lose in FX.
Right, holdings in yen, euro with currency depreciation vs SGD. Compensates even with good valuations. Akin to changing money to home

http://www.todayonline.com/business/mas-posts-s10b-net-loss-singapore-dollar-soars

Relevant extract:
The Singapore dollar gained 13.8 per cent against the yen and 6.2 per cent against the euro in the 12 months to March, the MAS said. During the same period, the Singapore dollar rose 5.1 per cent versus the British pound and 1.3 per cent against the dollar

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just give more indepth explanation of the losses by MAS lah. Don't need wonder off and talk about Singapore economy as if he is solely in-charge of it:rolleyes:

By Yasmine Yahya

<!--end of story text-->

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aren't they supposed to do hedging to prevent such things?
It is not paper play anymore if the sgd keeps strengthening right?
If MAS hedge out currencies back to sgd, then what's the purpose of foreign reserves? MAS also need to park some money with IMF. Go read up on economics 101.

MAS is not the place to find worms, as its open book to all. Spend your time on GIC and temasick, where almost everything is state secret.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If MAS hedge out currencies back to sgd, then what's the purpose of foreign reserves? MAS also need to park some money with IMF. Go read up on economics 101.

MAS is not the place to find worms, as its open book to all. Spend your time on GIC and temasick, where almost everything is state secret.
Here so many experts so save the time to read.
Might not comprehend fully even after reading for a layman like me.
So 10 billion yearly losses is the norm for central banks? Attribute to currency strength then case close?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
So 10 billion yearly losses is the norm for central banks? Attribute to currency strength then case close?
There is no norm. It depends on size of foreign reserves and forex movement. Basically can't be help as country needs to maintain certain foreign reserves. This time is loss, but next year will be gain if sgd depreciate.

If sgd depreciates, MAS will have record profit, but sinkies will be poorer due weaker sgd. LPPL.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is not a loss lah..............just that value of reserves dropped.................there's always a floating loss and profit..............

unless the MAS start buying and selling then different................

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Is MAS a central bank, that is question beg to be ask?? anyway, the years I know MAS when I was working, never heard of them making losses in anything...if MAS is making losses, then GIC, TEM...??? no wonder they need a world class crier to look after...where in the entire world the smartest, most educated , cannot qualify...we have PAUL...& then to guard the keys we have Anthony...gee! we have gone to the dogs..