• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mandatory death penalty (MDP) law change ...

AnyOldHow

Alfrescian
Loyal
The abolition of the MDP, which was first proposed in Parliament in July and will be expected to be passed when Parliament
sits again on 12 November came from review, not activists said face-saving Foreign Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam.

Hmmm ....

If that's the case, I wonder why it took so long ...:(

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The abolition of the MDP, which was first proposed in Parliament in July and will be expected to be passed when Parliament
sits again on 12 November came from review, not activists said face-saving Foreign Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam.

Hmmm ....

If that's the case, I wonder why it took so long ...:(

The reason is simple: the huge influx of FTs meant that more were being caught with Class A drugs.
If more of them were hanged, more diplomatic spats would arise. That is now avoided.

The State changes laws simply out of power considerations. Nothing more, nothing less.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason is simple: the huge influx of FTs meant that more were being caught with Class A drugs.
If more of them were hanged, more diplomatic spats would arise. That is now avoided. The State changes laws simply out of power considerations. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that's the case, Changi Resorts World population would rise, maybe gahmen should start charging these FTs for their stay there, it's a fair exchange for one's life. I don't think it's been done before but SG can be the first!

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that's the case, Changi Resorts World population would rise, maybe gahmen should start charging these FTs for their stay there, it's a fair exchange for one's life. I don't think it's been done before but SG can be the first!

Over-crowdedness is a phenomenon that plagues the entire island.
Avoiding diplomatic spats with important allies and trading partners is far more important than the trifling sum of housing their miscreants.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over-crowdedness is a phenomenon that plagues the entire island.
Avoiding diplomatic spats with important allies and trading partners is far more important than the trifling sum of housing their miscreants.

I'm in agreement with you but i think whilst they're in Changi Resorts World, they might as well pay for their room & board, it's a soft deterrent compared to the traditional hanging at dawn on fridays. In some high profile cases, after serving x amount of jail time, an agreement or presidential pardon is normally made for the prisoner to finish his jail time in his own country. I would imagine this concession(paying for room & board) alone would be worthwhile for SG's perferred trading partners & allies in exchange for a life. After all, money these days "soothes" the way out of many a diplomatic spat:wink:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it is the sudden realisation they may not be right ALL the time. Well, imo, better late than never. High Court judges are human beings too. Mistakes can be made.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on bro.

The German girl incident was the eye opener. That case turned out to be linked to the murder case where the expat angmo murdered his driver. CNB and law enforcement for decades are forbidden to move against expat location such as American school, UWC including those ang mo kids buying stuff at Far East. Those caught by accident have to leave the country within 24 hrs. You can do that when the floodgates are open.

That German girl is luckiest girl. Was she was born an Asian or a African, she would have hanged with no doubt.

If more of them were hanged, more diplomatic spats would arise. That is now avoided.

The State changes laws simply out of power considerations. Nothing more, nothing less.