• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2012-13

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there's any consolation, I thought they played very well tonight. The finishing though left much to be desired. RVP's goal scoring form I suspect has deserted him. Probably peaked last season when he was with Arsenal. If you rely on Welbeck, he's not going to score that many goals but his physical presence and speed was a plus.

What's lacking is a player who can shoot and create chances at the same time. Strootman would be a perfect fit but if they wish to go for someone younger, look no further than Julian Draxler.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inter denied my Man Utd move – Galatasaray’s Sneijder

Wesley Sneijder has claimed that Inter Milan deprived him of a dream move to Manchester United.

The Dutchman, now with Turkish club Galatasaray, was heavily linked with United back in 2010 but has revealed that the Nerazzurri did not want him to depart after they took out the treble in the 2009/10 season.

"We had some talks with Alex Ferguson back in 2010,” Sneijder said.

"They [United] contacted the club after our Treble season but too much money was asked for. And I was also happy at Inter so I decided to stay.

"Manchester United are a fantastic club and they kept showing interest after that year but not as determined as before.

"I don't give much thought about proposed transfers, if I'm happy somewhere, I'm happy there."
**************************************************************************************************************************************************

RA would be happy to note that he still harbours a desire to play for the Old Trafford fans.:biggrin: No chance lar!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If there's any consolation, I thought they played very well tonight.... If you rely on
Welbeck, he's not going to score that many goals but his physical presence and speed was a plus.
We did good to contain galacticos (even with fortuitous goal) until contentious red card. Seems the darned turk has a background. And Mourinhno humoured red devils, gracious in victory?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21679307

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21679253

Never quite believed in Welbeck fella, though he did ok this morning. Fernandez's a better bet. And why didn't he start Roon?

Last edited:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
We did good to contain galacticos (even with fortuitous goal) until contentious red card. Seems the darned turk has a background. And Mourinhno humoured red devils, gracious in victory?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21679307

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21679253

Never quite believed in Welbeck fella, though he did ok this morning. Fernandez's a better bet. And why didn't he start Roon?

The red card was harsh as I dun think there was any malicious intent on the part of Nani as I thought he kept his eye on the ball. A yellow would have sufficed. CL referees are unforgiving and they play it by the book.

Roon does not have the speed and moreover if you play RVP, you need someone fast to play alongside. Between Welbeck and Hernandez, I would have preferred the latter as he has amazing reflexes and an eye for goal. I guess Fergie decided to reward Welbeck for his impressive performance in the first leg tie.

Well, there is always next season. Hopefully, we'll have a balance team next time. Somehow, I just have a gut feel a German team will lift the CL trophy this season-Dortmund, Bayern or Shalke.

jw5

Loyal
Haizzz, sometimes life can be unfair, but you just have to pick yourself up and hope that it goes your way the next time, Haizzz......................

jw5

Loyal
If there's any consolation, I thought they played very well tonight. The finishing though left much to be desired. RVP's goal scoring form I suspect has deserted him. Probably peaked last season when he was with Arsenal. If you rely on Welbeck, he's not going to score that many goals but his physical presence and speed was a plus.

What's lacking is a player who can shoot and create chances at the same time. Strootman would be a perfect fit but if they wish to go for someone younger, look no further than Julian Draxler.

Rumour has it that Fergie will make a bid for Strootman of PSV in the summer transfer window, another possible midfield addition could be Wanyama of Celtic.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
RVP's goal scoring form I suspect has deserted him. Probably peaked last season when he was with Arsenal.

Maybe you dont know him well enough. RVP is a flat track bully and a big game bottler. See his past performances for arsenal in champions league and holland in major competitions.. Best is watch his performances for holland in euro 2012 right aftr a stunning season for arsenal (in the premier league) , when he helped holland up the lorry and got the coach sacked.

He was already 30 when he joined man u. Don't expect an old man to change.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe you dont know him well enough. RVP is a flat track bully and a big game bottler. See his past performances for arsenal in champions league and holland in major competitions.. Best is watch his performances for holland in euro 2012 right aftr a stunning season for arsenal (in the premier league) , when he helped holland up the lorry and got the coach sacked.

He was already 30 when he joined man u. Don't expect an old man to change.

There is more to RVP's game than just scoring goals. He's an intelligent player who can create opportunities for his team mates besides scoring goals. His height was a great advantage especially in defending set pieces and corner kicks. This was quite telling against REAL who has many tall players with the aerial prowess to cause maximum damage. Some one has to do a marking job on Varane and Ramos. When defenders come up for set pieces, it is the duty of the striker to mark them.

Defending aside, he's probably just about the only player besides Giggs and Nani who can put in a decent cross with any accuracy. They say the same thing about Ronaldo when he was with United-a 'big game bottler'. Where Holland is concerned, it has always been about individuals ahead of the team.

Last edited:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rumour has it that Fergie will make a bid for Strootman of PSV in the summer transfer window, another possible midfield addition could be Wanyama of Celtic.

They need money to buy in a few players and getting eliminated at this stage of the CL competition is not going to help.

jw5

Loyal
They need money to buy in a few players and getting eliminated at this stage of the CL competition is not going to help.

According to espn, they lost more than 20 Million pounds. Looks like Ah Roon may have to go to fund newcomers.

RVP has been very good this season at Defensive set pieces too. Many times he cleared the ball with headers.

jw5

Loyal
Your bit on -20mil loss doesn't gel with official with latest quarterly (+6 months) results -public information? Not unless books are cooked

http://ir.manutd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133303&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1785068&highlight=

The report was that they stand to lose more than 20 million pounds (opportunity cost) from being eliminated at this stage of the champions league.
Not that latest financial results was a 20 million pound loss.
The report actually said 22 million pounds, was there yesterday, can't find the link now.

jw5

Loyal
Article from espnsoccernet.com:

United open to Rooney exit

Manchester United will consider the sale of Wayne Rooney in the summer for a fee of around £35 million, ESPN understands.

An Old Trafford source said that any prospective transfer was dependent on a "complicated chain of events", but one that could also see Cristiano Ronaldo end up back at the club.

With Rooney controversially demoted to the bench and the Portuguese not ruling out a return to United, Wednesday night’s Champions League clash between United and Real Madrid was dripping with transfer subplots.

It is known, however, that the Premier League leaders are actively looking into a way to bring Ronaldo back, and that there was more to Sir Alex Ferguson’s decision to drop Rooney than tactics or any injury concerns.

The United manager is understood to have scolded the England international about his fitness at the start of the season - the latest of a number of flashpoints between them since Rooney attempted to force his way out in October 2010.

Despite the now famous photos of Ferguson and his player smiling after a new deal had been signed at that time, their relationship has never fully healed. They also clashed at Christmas 2011, with the manager reportedly dropping Rooney for a Premier League fixture against Blackburn Rovers for disciplinary reasons.

This season has also marked the first time in three years that Rooney has not been the undisputed focal point of the team, after the arrival of Robin van Persie.

In that time, however, United had informal talks with Real Madrid over the prospective transfer of Rooney, but the Spanish club have no wish to purchase him at present. So far, the only club to have expressed an interest are Paris Saint-Germain - as reported by the Times a week ago.

It is unknown, however, whether Rooney himself would want to go to the French capital or even leave United at all. As such, given that they would also have to find a high-profile replacement, United are treading carefully and his departure is by no means certain.

It had been floated that Rooney could be used in some kind of part-exchange deal for Ronaldo but, with Real not interested at present, United may seek to offer Nani and cash for the Portuguese star.

Although there is now a willingness on both sides - United and Ronaldo - to bring the forward back to Old Trafford, there are a number of complications -not least the financing of such a deal.

United, meanwhile, retain an interest in Borussia Dortmund’s Robert Lewandowski as a direct replacement for Rooney. The Poland forward is expected to join Bayern Munich, but that deal is far from done and the Red Devils are continuing to monitor the situation.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun know how the rumor started. Roon has been benched before but more importantly there were many players who missed out on the first leg and wanted to play REAL at home. Moreover their form suggest that they should have been selected ahead of Roon. Roons's form is below average at best and I'm really not surprised he was left out. Roon often plays just behind RVP and operates on the periphery but what United needed that night was a tall,fast and physical player to support RVP and challenge Varane and Ramos.

My guess is

1. rumor may have been started with the ill intention of destabilizing or putting the pressure on the team going into the final 10 games of the season.
2.it may have been started by insiders at OT to give Rooney a kick in the arse to step up his game OR they're simply floating this idea to gauge interest and valuation on the player. I'm sure Fergie will have a say on issue in his weekly pre match conference.

If Utd is serious about Ronaldo's return to OT, they will need to raise quite abit of dough and its quite obvious that Rooney will be the ticket to Ron's return. They will not be able to garner much from the sale of Nani as he has only 12 months to see out his contract and they'll be lucky if they get anything for Anderson. Methinks Utd is laying out all their options and will probably decide once the EPL trophy is in their bag.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home advantage gone. How did they lose a 2-0 lead so quickly is beyond me. Old fart should stick to a stable back 4 for the run in. Stop tweaking!! Cleverley, Rooney and Valencia were farked up, giving away balls. Utd were lucky to get a draw.:mad:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fergie got his tactics wrong. :biggrin:

Shouldn't have taken Chicarito off and shouldn't have started Nani.

Treble -> Double -> Single(?) -> ???

Go Chelsea! :biggrin:

Bolocks

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That arrogant asshole is somewhere in this forum. Shall we kick his ass? :biggrin:

116949_thumb.jpg

Hoeness criticises money-driven Manchester United owners
The German side's president believes owners should have an emotional attachment to the club, rather than just seek the financial gains, using the Glazer family as an example

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fergie got his tactics wrong. :biggrin:

Shouldn't have taken Chicarito off and shouldn't have started Nani.

Treble -> Double -> Single(?) -> ???

Go Chelsea! :biggrin:

Chicharito lost the ball in the opponent's half and stopped running which suggest he's either injured or running empty. Nani has to play as there are only 10 league games remaining. It would have been good for club and player as it will raise his stock before he leaves the club in the summer. Not sure if he'll receive a winner's meddle if United go on to win EPL.

Haha.....no treble, no sweat.....Will do it next season.:biggrin: