• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man jailed for a year for biting and choking a small dog

Gimli

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man who bit mother’s Shih Tzu so hard its eye popped out of its socket is sentenced to a year in prison

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 08 November, 2015, 7:08pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 08 November, 2015, 7:08pm

Tribune News Service

cujo.jpg

Cujo, before he was bitten and choked, which resulted in him losing an eye. Photo: New York Daily News

All Michelle Etzel ever wanted was for her son, David, to get help.

And now, David Etzel, 37, might get his chance: He was sentenced to a year in prison for animal abuse, and with that he will receive alcohol counselling and rehabilitation services.

“I think he might finally (get help),” Michelle Etzel said, “which is what I’ve wanted all along.”

His prison sentence stems from a drunken incident where he bit his mother’s Shih Tzu, Cujo, in the face so hard the dog’s eye popped out of its socket. Prosecutors said David Etzel was at the home he shared with his mother when he started playing with the dog.

The dog nipped him, then David Etzel grabbed Cujo by the neck and bit him.

etzel.jpg

David Etzel, 37, faces a year in jail after jurors found him guilty of animal cruelty.

Michelle Etzel said the dog has recovered, but lost sight in the injured eye.

Prosecutor Judith Arco asked Circuit Court Judge Barry Cohen to give David Etzel the maximum of 18 months in prison.

Originally, Arco said her office offered a plea deal with David Etzel that would have allowed him to not go to jail and seek alcohol treatment instead. He rejected that deal and a jury convicted him.

Michelle Etzel told Cohen in court she didn’t want her son to go to jail, but since he refused to take the plea deal offered to him, there was no other way. She asked the judge to include alcohol rehabilitation programmes as part of his sentencing.

Without alcohol and anger management treatment, she said she feared her son would leave prison with an axe to grind against her.

“I’m afraid that when he gets out (of prison), he’s going to try and hurt me,” she said. “He said that if I throw him out of the house, he would set me and the house on fire. I am afraid of him.”

“She’s trying to make me sound like a monster,” David Etzel shot back from the defence podium. “She lies.”

Once he serves his year in jail, he will have two years of probation that could end early if David Etzel successfully completes his alcohol programme.

“I don’t think you’re necessarily an evil person,” Cohen told David Etzel. “The only way I can rationally figure out what happened in this case – it was a result of your alcoholism.”