• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man accused of murder freed after 6 years in jail

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_IMAGES_SEKADAR06.jpg

IN A dramatic twist yesterday, an odd-job labourer was released from prison after he was cleared of murdering an elderly housewife six years ago.

Mr Ismil Kadar - who spent six years in prison including two years on death row - was acquitted by the Court of Appeal, which issued a strongly worded judgment highlighting 'serious lapses' by police and prosecutors.

Describing the case as 'extraordinary', Justice V. K. Rajah said the 42-year-old's confessions were obtained 'in troubling circumstances' which appeared to be deliberate breaches in procedures rather than mere carelessness.

He added that investigators had been 'less than thorough' and said there was a 'startling lack of any objective evidence' that tied Mr Ismil to the crime.

Mr Ismil - who has an IQ of only 73 - had been in jail since May 2005, when he 'confessed' to murdering Madam Tham Weng Kuen, 69, in her Boon Lay flat. The IQ level of a normal person is between 90 and 110.

The housewife was stabbed and slashed 110 times in the brutal attack while her husband, who was bedridden from a stroke, was in the bedroom. He heard what was happening but could not do anything about it. Madam Tham's body was discovered a few hours later when their only child - a daughter - checked on them.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why death penalty should be abolished, period. Imagine if he was sentenced to death for the murder.

Last edited:

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
tats wat teochew/hokkien call see chow. This guy shld sue the govt but wth his low IQ, he's more than happy to b out.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He WAS sentenced to death and spent two years in Death Row, doubtless woken every few Friday mornings by the collapse of the gallows trapdoor. And all because of malicious police work and a colluding prosecution which helped to withhold evidence until the very last minute.

WKS must be called to account.

This is why death penalty should be abolished, period. Imagine if he was sentenced to death for the murder.

FuzzyDude

Alfrescian
Loyal
confessions were obtained 'in troubling circumstances' which appeared to be deliberate breaches in procedures rather than mere carelessness.

This is telling, someone will be held accountable...

I think this is a first, cannot recall any previous cases of someone wrongfully convicted of murder in Singapore ....

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a fact that he was part of the crime, whether he was the one that actually dealt the final blow that contributed to the old lady death, that was the part that the prosecution were unable to prove. But that does not absolve him of the fact that he took part in the whole thing.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
tats wat teochew/hokkien call see chow. This guy shld sue the govt but wth his low IQ, he's more than happy to b out.

Then can you assess the IQ level of a sinkie who is more than happy to be still screwed by the govt after so many years of screwing, some even smile and nod with agreement while being screwed.

I am still confused by it.

Last edited:

FuzzyDude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a fact that he was part of the crime, whether he was the one that actually dealt the final blow that contributed to the old lady death, that was the part that the prosecution were unable to prove. But that does not absolve him of the fact that he took part in the whole thing.

Quote :'Ismil can be said to be a petty handphone thief and a chronic drug abuser, but the prosecution has been unable to even begin to establish that he was at the scene of the crime, let alone being a party to the robbery or the killing of the deceased.'

Judge of Appeal V. K. Rajah, delivering the decision of the Court of Appeal, which also comprises Justice Kan Ting Chiu and Justice Steven Chong

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>Mr Ismil - who has an IQ of only 73 - had been in jail since May 2005, when he 'confessed' to murdering Madam Tham Weng Kuen, 69, in her Boon Lay flat. The IQ level of a normal person is between 90 and 110.<<

With an IQ of 73, now that he is out of jail, he will be a loser like tonychat and resort to pimping.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

Come on, you are being very vindictive. Has it been established he was culpable for any part of the crime, even if he was not responsible for the killing? Besides, how do you know he was a willing party to the crime? Do you want to sentence to death everyone present at the crime scene other than the victim?

I am against the death penalty because it is absolute. There is no way to revive the dead. Even if you only get it wrong for one case in a million, it is still one case too many. Only those who don't value human life will think it is all right to have a mistake like this once in a while.

Just because a person may be a scumbag or habitual criminal does not mean he should be accorded less rights than a normal person. The criminal commits a crime because he does not value the rights of the victim. Are you then at the same level as him because you want to deny him of his right to live too?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you had spent 6 years in jail by mistake, then it is better to be dead than alive. Well unless you have kids / wife / parents to support.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The system is such that it has to go thru 5 tollgates besides the IO and yet it failed in 4 toll gates, despite the only eye witness saying otherwise.
- Superior who directs the IO
- DP
- Magistrate who held the PI
- the judge that convicted him

They should have a board of inquiry with independent committee members and look at the conduct of all people and not just the IO.

This is no ordinary case. It appears that there is no basis or evidence for him to even be prosecuted. The reason why the younger brother implicated him is to push the blame for the 110 stab wounds which is excessive. I am sure that her case was built on the basis that the acquitted chap didbthe stabbing.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
it took 6 years for the police to find out hes innocent !!?? ..how can the prosecutor and police charge him in court when theres not much evidence ?

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you had spent 6 years in jail by mistake, then it is better to be dead than alive. Well unless you have kids / wife / parents to support.

Are you sure about this? Have you read the story Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption or the adapted movie The Shawshank Redemption? If not, I highly recommend that you read it. I would rather live to fight to clear my name than to die knowing I was wronged.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you sure about this? Have you read the story Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption or the adapted movie The Shawshank Redemption? If not, I highly recommend that you read it. I would rather live to fight to clear my name than to die knowing I was wronged.

Let's look at this man:

1) his race is m&d
2) he is considered a convict (sort of)
3) his IQ is lower than normal
4) he has no work experience
5) he has no wife / kids
6) he has no money

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
he might be a simpleton but after this episode would he be a very rich simpleton. too bad, it happens in sgp. if it were to happen in USA, u bet the gov would ve to compensate their arse for such mishandling.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's look at this man:

1) his race is m&d
2) he is considered a convict (sort of)
3) his IQ is lower than normal
4) he has no work experience
5) he has no wife / kids
6) he has no money

I am no counsellor or psychologist but he may still be able to turn his life around with the proper guidance despite his background and conditions.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am no counsellor or psychologist but he may still be able to turn his life around with the proper guidance despite his background and conditions.

The death penalty always inflicts the underprivileged and poor first. These are people with no knowledge or capabilities to defend themselves. If you are a rich foreigner caught trafficking 1 kilo of heroin, you stand a greater chance of escaping the noose than a low IQ sinkie who committed manslaughter.