• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia's Anwar calls for emergency no-confidence vote on PM - Will It Happen?

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia's Anwar calls for emergency no-confidence vote on PM
Posted: 18 September 2008 1626 hrs

php6Nx7nU.jpg

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim gestures during a rally at a stadium in Petaling Jaya, outside KL.

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia's opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim Thursday called for an emergency session of parliament to hold a no-confidence vote against the prime minister.

Anwar promised to use the special sitting to prove his claim he has the support of enough government defectors to topple Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's Barisan Nasional ruling coalition.

"Today, the Pakatan Rakyat (opposition alliance) leaders have submitted a letter to the PM requesting him to call an emergency session of parliament to deliberate a motion of censure against the leadership of Abdullah Ahmad Badawi," he said.

Anwar said he would name the defectors at the session, which he hoped would be held no later than September 23. The next parliament session is only due to begin on October 13.

"Convene an emergency session and you will see in parliament," he said, adding that "it is critical for the prime minister to respond."

"We face a major economic crisis. It is pertinent that they think of the nation and not the interest of themselves."

Anwar needs the support of 30 government lawmakers to take control of the 222-seat parliament.

He stepped up the pressure on Abdullah a day after the small National Front party on Borneo island quit the ruling coalition, and the prime minister indicated he may step down earlier than planned.

Abdullah is facing dissent from his own United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) to quit after the ruling coalition was hammered in the March 8 polls.

His popularity on the streets is at an all-time low amid high inflation.

Anwar said he may seek a meeting with the king to stake his claim if Abdullah failed to convene the emergency session.

"I am not discounting the possibility," he said.

Anwar also said there was no reason for the government to detain him under the tough Internal Security Act (ISA), which allows indefinite detention without trial.

"There is no reason why I should be arrested under the ISA. This is clearly not an option for any responsible leadership. This (Abdullah's government) is now a minority government. The majority of MPs are with the opposition alliance," he said.

Anwar called Monday for a meeting with Abdullah to arrange a smooth transition of power, but the premier refused and demanded he release the names of the defectors.

Abdullah then delivered a warning to Anwar, a former deputy premier who was sacked and jailed a decade ago, accusing him of "lying to the public and confusing the people."

"He has become a threat to the economy and national security," he said. This is a serious allegation in Malaysia, where the government can use internal security laws to detain its opponents without trial.

Last Friday police arrested an opposition MP, a blogger and a journalist under the security law citing security concerns.

Teresa Kok, from the Democratic Action Party (DAP), a member of the opposition alliance, was arrested along with Malaysia's top blogger Raja Petra Kamaruddin.

A journalist for a Chinese-language newspaper was also arrested after reporting on racist comments made by a ruling party member, but was quickly released after an uproar including from within the government. - AFP/vm

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Abdullah very steady.Very cool,calm and collected. He is a brave man. He looks so honest and so frank and so clean ....Why should someone overthrow him??? I don't understand. Poor fella. He is so soft spoken and so gentle like my father. May GOD BLESS and guide him.Salaam.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Abdullah very steady.Very cool,calm and collected. He is a brave man. He looks so honest and so frank and so clean ....Why should someone overthrow him??? I don't understand. Poor fella. He is so soft spoken and so gentle like my father. May GOD BLESS and guide him.Salaam.

His misfortune is being with the wrong gang. I believe he is a good man but with devils around him, evil will clout his mind.:p

Cheers.:biggrin:

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia's Anwar calls for emergency no-confidence vote on PM
Posted: 18 September 2008 1626 hrs

php6Nx7nU.jpg

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim gestures during a rally at a stadium in Petaling Jaya, outside KL.

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia's opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim Thursday called for an emergency session of parliament to hold a no-confidence vote against the prime minister.

Anwar promised to use the special sitting to prove his claim he has the support of enough government defectors to topple Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's Barisan Nasional ruling coalition.

"Today, the Pakatan Rakyat (opposition alliance) leaders have submitted a letter to the PM requesting him to call an emergency session of parliament to deliberate a motion of censure against the leadership of Abdullah Ahmad Badawi," he said.

Anwar said he would name the defectors at the session, which he hoped would be held no later than September 23. The next parliament session is only due to begin on October 13.

"Convene an emergency session and you will see in parliament," he said, adding that "it is critical for the prime minister to respond."

"We face a major economic crisis. It is pertinent that they think of the nation and not the interest of themselves."

Anwar needs the support of 30 government lawmakers to take control of the 222-seat parliament.

He stepped up the pressure on Abdullah a day after the small National Front party on Borneo island quit the ruling coalition, and the prime minister indicated he may step down earlier than planned.

Abdullah is facing dissent from his own United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) to quit after the ruling coalition was hammered in the March 8 polls.

His popularity on the streets is at an all-time low amid high inflation.

Anwar said he may seek a meeting with the king to stake his claim if Abdullah failed to convene the emergency session.

"I am not discounting the possibility," he said.

Anwar also said there was no reason for the government to detain him under the tough Internal Security Act (ISA), which allows indefinite detention without trial.

"There is no reason why I should be arrested under the ISA. This is clearly not an option for any responsible leadership. This (Abdullah's government) is now a minority government. The majority of MPs are with the opposition alliance," he said.

Anwar called Monday for a meeting with Abdullah to arrange a smooth transition of power, but the premier refused and demanded he release the names of the defectors.

Abdullah then delivered a warning to Anwar, a former deputy premier who was sacked and jailed a decade ago, accusing him of "lying to the public and confusing the people."

"He has become a threat to the economy and national security," he said. This is a serious allegation in Malaysia, where the government can use internal security laws to detain its opponents without trial.

Last Friday police arrested an opposition MP, a blogger and a journalist under the security law citing security concerns.

Teresa Kok, from the Democratic Action Party (DAP), a member of the opposition alliance, was arrested along with Malaysia's top blogger Raja Petra Kamaruddin.

A journalist for a Chinese-language newspaper was also arrested after reporting on racist comments made by a ruling party member, but was quickly released after an uproar including from within the government. - AFP/vm

Nope! Abdullah Badawi CHICKENED OUT!

PM rejects 'no confidence' session
Beh Lih Yi & Fauwaz Abdul Aziz | Sep 18, 08 6:15pm

Abdullah Ahmad Badawi today rejected a call by Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim for an emergency Parliament session to debate a no-confidence motion.

MCPX
track

"I don't see the need as Parliament will sit after Ramadan," the prime minister told reporters after chairing an Umno supreme council meeting in Kuala Lumpur today.

d3d0178acfaeca841f09bf4e1e7c3bc5.jpg
Supreme Council memders who were present, including Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak and party secretary-general Tengku Adnan Mansor, were heard saying "what for" in the background before the PM responded.

Parliament is set to resume sitting on Oct 13.

Earlier today, Anwar said he had sent a letter to Abdullah asking him to convene an emergency session of Parliament to debate a motion of no confidence against his leadership.

"I have made a formal request to call for an emergency session in Parliament to deliberate a motion of censure against the leadership of Abdullah not later than Sept 23," he had said.

But Abdullah said today what he had seen so far was only a press statement, adding that such a proposal should be brought up according to proper procedures such as in the form of a letter.

It appeared that he has yet to receive Anwar's letter which was sent to the Prime Minister's Office at 3pm today.

No further ISA arrests

The premier also said he did not intend to use the Internal Security Act against Anwar.

"I have no plans regarding the use of the ISA on anybody. I did not say anything (about the ISA arrest) to anybody. If a person feels he will be arrested under the ISA, maybe he is guilty, I don't know."

Abdullah has been under tremendous pressure recently from Anwar who had said that he had sufficient number of defectors from Barisan Nasional to form a government.

Yesterday the prime minister swapped cabinet portfolio with his deputy in what is seen as a response to the growing clamour for him to step down and hand over the job to his deputy.

He was asked if any more cabinet reshuffling was likely, to which he replied: "If there is, you will know it."

Abdullah also brushed aside calls made by Mubarak's - association of ex-BN MPs and state assemblypersons - for him to quit immediately.​
"It does not matter, let Mubarak say whatever, they are pensioners already," he said.

Listening to the grassroots
However, the Umno leader said that he listening to demands of the party grassroots.

"I'm keeping my ears close to the ground and paying attention to what is happening regarding the situation in the party. Whatever decision I make on this, I will discuss with Najib and I will bring it to the attention of the supreme council."

On him defending his presidency in December, the premier replied: "I have already talked about this yesterday. But the (divisions) meetings have not started yet so if there is anything else that I need to do, it's up to me and I will speak to Najib."

The three-hour supreme council meeting did not discuss the move by former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad seeking to rejoin Umno, because the PM said "it was not brought up".

Mahathir left the party in May, saying that he would not return to the party which he had led for 22 years until Abdullah has stepped down as Umno president.

Also the council decided to take action against four party members - one from Beluran and the rest from Beaufort in Sabah - for campaigning for the opposition in March 8 polls. The president said appropriate action will be taken.

On the possible Pensiangan by-election in Sabah, Abdullah said the supreme council today discussed the preparation but no candidate has been identified yet since the BN will appeal against the court decision.

Muhyiddin to remain vocal
49030566a9132966a2e64a471fe930db.jpg
Meanwhile, party vice-president Muhyiddin Yassin said he would continue to highlight issues raised by the grassroots.

In recent weeks, he has been a vocal critic of Abdullah and had asked him to hasten his departure from the top post.

“The supreme council had noted my concerns and I will continue to voice the concerns from the grassroots in the future,” he told reporters.

“Supreme council members who keep quiet during the meeting are considered to be agreeable to the general consensus of the council,” he added.

Several Umno leaders had called for Muhyiddin to be censured for speaking openly against Abdullah.

However, it is learnt that the council decided not to take any action against him.
Watch 7-min video of PM's press conference

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's Prime Minister Adbullah Badawi says there is no reason to recall parliament early from its recess which lasts until the middle of October.

He was responding to a demand by opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim for a recall to hold a no-confidence vote against the prime minister.

Mr Abdullah said: "I don't see the need for an emergency session, the next parliamentary session begins not too long from now, after Ramadhan month, he can use the opportunity then to do what he wants."

Mr Anwar made the call at a news conference on Thursday. He gave Mr Abdullah till September 23 to call for an emergency parliamentary session, failing which he would discuss with Pakatan Rakyat leaders on the next course of action.
Mr Anwar said he wanted to exhaust all the legal and constitutional avenues before resorting to seeking audience with the King.

He said that he cannot wait till October 13 for the new parliament session to begin as the country is now in a crisis and it needs a way out of the political impasse now and he blamed Mr Abdullah for the delay.

But Mr Anwar insisted he has the numbers, according to the opposition website, so far 35 government MPs have pledged to support for Pakatan Rakyat.

So after September 16,now the new ultimate date is 23rd September 2008.
Will just wait and see.
I do not think he has the require numbers,maybe about 10.

Cmdr. Shockwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
Abdullah is just the scapegoat. If there is anyone to be blamed it is the dirty power brokers in his party. Easier to blame him instead of facing up to their collective responsibility.

Cmdr. Shockwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
So after September 16,now the new ultimate date is 23rd September 2008.
Will just wait and see.
I do not think he has the require numbers,maybe about 10.

He is just playing mind games with the rest. I think he is hoping that some members will defect to order to safeguard their interest but we got to see who breaks first.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that both are bluffing each other. Anwar's hand is obviously minimum 3-of-a-kind, but is it going to be full house or 4-of-a-kind when the hole card's opened up? Badawi's hand is obviously either a straight or a flush, but is it a straight flush?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who don't play poker, but play mahjong, there's a parallel analogy. Anwar has nine tiles in suit in the open (九张) while Badawi has flowers and triplets worth 4 fans in the open (包大). The other players stop playing for gaming and dare not throw any tiles in danger. Both Anwar and Badawi are waiting for each other to throw the wanted tile or self draw.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Latest. Teresa Kok has just been released from ISA. Badawi's eyelids don't look like capable of holding the bat any much longer. It's obvious that he doesn't have a straight flush, but either a straight or a flush at most. Question now is, does Anwar have a full house or 4-of-a-kind?