• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Macaque abducts, bites and drops baby from roof

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20101007-240998.html

Thu, Oct 07, 2010
The Star/Asia News Network

20101007.081501_deadmonkey.jpg

Macaque abducts, bites and drops baby from roof

Baby dies after monkey attack

1.jpg

Distraught: The parents of the dead baby V. Neru and B Revathy and grandmother R. Letchumy at the hospital.

2.jpg

The dead monkey beside the cage holding another trapped monkey.

3.jpg

Wild monkeys have been loitering near an abandoned house in Taman Happy in Seremban and a baby girl is believed to have been killed by one of them.

4.jpg

The body of the baby being taken to hospital for a post-mortem yesterday.

By Chitra S. Nathan and Lester Kong

SEREMBAN, Malaysia - In mere minutes, a young woman turned from a happy mother to a grieving one when she lost her four-day-old baby to a wild monkey that was shot dead several hours later.

At 1.15pm yesterday, the macaque stole into the living room; snatched the child and fled up the roof of the house. The baby fell to the ground and died.

The mother, V. Revathy, 26, had left her first-born child in the living room of the single-storey house near Taman Happy Garden to use the toilet.

The baby's body was discovered later outside the house with her face and neck badly bitten. She was rushed to the Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital here where she was pronounced dead.

Revathi's father-in-law A. Valayutham, 70, was in the living room with the newborn but had gone to get a glass of water when the tragedy occurred.

"We frantically searched all over the house and saw her body covered in blood lying outside the house," he said.

Valayutham added that he had noticed a few monkeys outside the house compound at that time.

The area where the family stayed was sandwiched between two residential areas with a foliage of trees nearby where there were monkeys.

Negri Sembilan Wildlife and National Parks director Ishak Muhamad said the macaque was shot dead at 4pm.

"We suspect the macaque was rummaging for food inside the house. It could have taken the baby to the roof thinking the newborn was food.

"The baby died when it fell to the ground. The monkey had apparently released the newborn, probably because it was alarmed by the parents' shouts," Ishak said yesterday.

He added that the parents had called the Fire and Rescue Department at 2.15pm, which immediately contacted the Wildlife and National Parks Department.

"We reached the house at about 3pm and set off with the baby's father to look for the macaque," he said.

Ishak said department officers saw the macaque in some bushes several metres from the house at about 4pm.

The macaque was shot when it began to act aggressively.

Ishak added that it was the first such case in the state, and believed the male monkey was attracted by a female kept in captivity as a pet by the family.

"This is very unusual. Normally, these monkeys simply steal food or pluck fruit from the yard," he said.

The baby's father, lorry driver V. Neru, 29, who was not at home when the incident occurred, said he could not believe that such a thing could have happened.

"I rushed to the hospital only to be told that she was gone.

"She was our bundle of joy and we were looking forward to spending many happy years with her ... I just cannot believe she's gone," he said.

R. Shanty, 35, who lives nearby said it was common to see monkeys in groups of three or four in the area.

"A while back, my pet dog was attacked by these monkeys. Its badly-bitten body was thrown from a tree.

"I really hope the authorities take action and not wait until another life is lost," she said.

Rahang assemblyman M.K. Arumugam, who visited the family yesterday evening, expressed regret over the incident.

"I have brought this matter up before but sadly no action was taken. I am very disappointed that something like this had to happen before the authorities took notice," he said.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20101007-240999.html

Thu, Oct 07, 2010

20101007.080739_macaque350.jpg

Macaques can be an aggressive breed, says expert

By Loh Foon Fong

PETALING JAYA, Malaysia - If a monkey killed the infant in Seremban, the perpetrator was likely to be either the long-tailed macaque (macaca fascicularis) or pig-tailed macaque (macaca nemestrina), said an expert.

Associate professor Dr S. Vellayan, one of the country's pioneers in primatology and based in Universiti Teknologi Mara, said the two species were aggressive and had bitten human beings.

"We can determine whether the baby was bitten by a monkey by looking at the bites and scratches," he said in an interview, adding that it was usually the males which tended to be aggressive.

"If the monkey had carried away and killed the baby, it could have entered the house following development encroachment into its habitat," he said.

He advised the public to not make direct eye contact with monkeys which might feel threatened and become aggressive.

"To ward off the monkeys, people could keep dogs, use small fire crackers or laser pointers to cause fright," he said.

Malaysian Nature Society head of environment education division Shan Mugaraj said long-tailed macaques were persistent and could turn aggressive when they did not get what they wanted, such as food.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is the end for the monkeys. I am sure the parents will be buying a lot of poison for the monkeys.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20101008-241203.html

Fri, Oct 08, 2010

20101008.104714_20101008-monkeynotdead.jpg

Killer macaque still alive

Baby dies after monkey attack

SEREMBAN, Malaysia - Residents of Taman Happy Garden and Taman Mok Sum are claiming that the authorities had shot the wrong macaque and the one responsible for killing a four-day-old baby is still lurking in the nearby jungle.

They said the dominant alpha male monkey was too intelligent to become an easy target for Wildlife and National Parks Department officers.Fast Pain Relief - ultra thin patch

Retired government servant Mohinder Singh, 74, said the alpha male could grow up to 0.7m.

"The monkey killed by the officers yesterday was much smaller. Alpha males are bigger and stronger and they have even attacked and killed mongrels," he said, adding that last year, a group of monkeys almost attacked a five-year-old girl who ventured out of her house to play.

Another resident, P. Vellai, 56, said the dominant monkey was not afraid of women.

"The alpha male is huge. The one shot by the officers does not fit the description," she said, adding that the alpha male was always surrounded by other monkeys while the one shot was all alone.

Earlier in the afternoon, the baby was cremated at the Jalan Tun Dr Ismail crematorium and the ashes were strewn in waters off Port Dickson.

"We were planning a grand Deepavali but that will not happen now. My heart bled when I saw my little baby with stitches on her head and face," said a sobbing V. Revathy, 26, the baby's mother.

Lorry attendant V. Nehru, 30, said they had planned to register their daughter's birth on Sunday but now she had died without a name.

He also said that it was possible that the killer monkey was attracted to their female pet monkey as male monkeys used to hang around her cage.

Later, state MCA chairman Datuk Dr Yeow Chai Thiam and state MIC secretary S. Bathumalai visited the family and presented them with some financial aid.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20101008-241205.html

Baby could have been mistaken for pet's offspring

Fri, Oct 08, 2010

SEREMBAN, Malaysia - The macaque that abducted and bit a four-day-old baby here may have mistaken the newborn as the offspring of the family's pet female monkey.

State Wildlife and National Parks officer Zafifi Ramli said the monkey could have been provoked to attack the baby when it felt its position as the alpha male in the area threatened.

"The male may have been attracted to the female macaque kept by the family. It is possible that the monkey attacked the baby after it mistook the newborn for the female's offspring when it felt its position as the alpha male was at stake," he said.

The last such incident, he said, was in 2008 when a kindergarten pupil survived an attack by a monkey in Taman Tuanku Ja'afar.

He said the department had received a complaint a year ago from Taman Happy Garden residents and had acted on it by trapping the monkeys that were being a menace.

"We usually set traps and take the offending monkeys away but if the monkeys are aggressive and are a threat to security, we sometimes have no choice but to shoot them," he said, adding that complaints had also been received from residents in Taman SEA, Taman Desa Ros and Taman Guru previously.

"Based on our investigations, we believe the monkey that was shot by our officers was the one responsible for the attack as it had traces of blood on its mouth," he said.

However, he could not confirm if the blood belonged to the infant or was from the injuries sustained by the monkey after it fell from the tree.

Earlier, Wildlife and National Parks Department director Ishak Muhamad said the family did not commit an offence by keeping the monkey as a pet.

Seremban Municipal Council president Datuk Abdul Halim Abdul Latif said such complaints were normally referred to the Wildlife Department as the council was not equipped to handle such cases.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20101008-241214.html

Fri, Oct 08, 2010
New Straits Times

20101008.181828_monkey_rotator_3.jpg

Baby a victim of mating ritual gone awry

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The baby who was killed by a wild monkey could have been a victim of a mating ritual gone awry.

Wildlife reproductive physiologist Dr Mohamad Ngah believed that the macaque's actions was the result of its psychological behaviour.

Dr Ngah, who is also Zoo Negara director, said a subordinate male monkey would only kill baby monkeys and fight with the alpha male to claim the dominant position in the pack.

"Sometimes, infants would also be used as shields by the subordinate monkey when fighting with the alpha male," he said.

"This way, it could stop the alpha male from attacking back as the alpha male would not risk injuring the infant."

When the baby monkey dies, the female monkeys would stop producing lactin hormones to breast-feed and will be ready to begin its reproductive cycle and mate.

"In the case of the 4-day-old baby, the monkey could have been a new alpha male looking for a mate.

"Since it saw a female monkey in the house compound, it had assumed that the infant was the female's baby and killed it.

"Animals are not able to differentiate between a human infant and their young. It is not part of their instinct and that is why it is dangerous to keep exotic or wildlife pets at home."

Dr Ngah said this was the first time he had come across such a case here, although he had heard of similar incidents in Africa.

He added that macaques could be found in most tropical jungles in Southeast Asia and they are dangerous to humans as they are Herpes B carriers.

Meanwhile, the state Wildlife and National Parks Department has cleared all macaques that have been terrorising the residents of Taman Happy in Seremban.

Its director, Ishak Muhammad, said his officers had combed the area thoroughly and there were no traces of any macaques.

"The macaque that attacked the infant was shot dead several metres from the house on the same day.

"We identified the monkey based on traces of blood and the baby's skin on its fur."

Ishak said the incident could have been avoided if the family had lodged a complaint about the wild monkeys harassing them.

"The department would usually respond to complaints from the public, and we would check to ascertain if the monkeys were aggressive and had attacked humans, or if they were just scavenging for food.

"We would only shoot monkeys that are dangerous to the public and relocate the ones that are harmless."

He added that based on information received, the killer monkey could have been attracted by the family's female pet monkey.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20101008-241217.html

Fri, Oct 08, 2010
New Straits Times

20101008.092647_grieving.jpg

Grieving parents get flat offer

By Dharshini Balan and Halimatul Hamid

SEREMBAN, Malaysia - The parents of the newborn who was killed by a wild monkey on Wednesday are considering moving out from their rented house in Taman Happy here for safety reasons.

V. Nehru, 30, and his 26-year-old wife, V. Revathy, are contemplating an offer from the state MCA to move the family to a flat in Lobak here.

They have been staying in Taman Happy for 23 years but after Wednesday's tragedy where the couple lost their newborn baby girl, they are seriously thinking of moving out.

"We are still mourning the death of our child. We need time to discuss the offer with other family members.

"It is not a decision I can make on my own but I appreciate the help and offers pouring in from all parties," Nehru said yesterday.

The lorry driver said they were supposed to register their child's name yesterday followed by prayers at home according to the Hindu custom. Instead, the 4-day-old baby, who was to be named Devagi, was cremated yesterday morning.

The baby, who was sleeping on a sofa in the living room, was snatched by a wild monkey, identified as a macaque by the Wildlife and National Parks Department.

The baby was later found on the porch with bite and scratch marks all over her face, neck and body.

Revathy, who was visibly devastated, said she had just bathed and clothed her baby and placed her on the sofa in the presence of her father-in law, A. Valayutham, 70.

"I then went to the toilet and my father-in-law went to get a glass of water. When I came out to check on her, she was missing."

Revathy said she ran out of the house to check and saw the monkey grabbing her daughter by the neck.

"It dropped my baby on hearing a commotion but picked her again and dragged her for a few steps. It then abandoned her before climbing up a telephone pole.

"Her body was limp and drenched in blood and there were bite and scratch marks on her face, neck and body. We thought we still had time to save her as she was still breathing."

The baby, however, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Tuanku Jaafar Hospital.

The family has a female pet monkey and it is now believed that it attracted the other primates from the jungle surrounding the housing estate.

"The wild monkeys are very aggressive and would come into the house looking for food daily.

"Even when we go out to dry clothes, they would behave in an intimidating manner and react aggressively towards us," she said, adding that the monkeys even attacked their pet dogs before.

Revathy said the pet monkey belonged to Nehru's brother, who left it behind. Even though the family later released in into the wild, it found its way back and has been with them for seven years.

A resident, Mohender Singh, 74, said wild monkeys had entered his compound many times, stealing eggs from the chicken coop.

"When my wife tried to chase them away, they would threaten to attack.

"We hope the authorities will solve this matter once and for all so that we have some peace of mind."

Meanwhile, state MCA chairman Datuk Dr Yeow Chai Tiam, who visited the family, said the party would help relocate the family if they were willing to move out.

"If they agree, we will discuss the matter with the Seremban Municipal Council. We have even spoken to the Welfare Department, which has agreed to provide financial assistance," he said after presenting some groceries and money to the family.

xyhan

Alfrescian
Loyal
My condolences to the Griefing Family. It really bleeds my heart to see the deceased baby and her Griefing Parents. I can't say that I know how they feel but the feeling is real terrible...

May the deceased Baby Girl Rest In Peace.