• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Losing cellphone 'most stressful for sinkie youth'

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Losing cellphone 'most stressful for youth' - Struggling in lessons and exams comes close behind for young S'poreans: Study - The Straits Times - 7 Dec 2012

By Stacey Chia
LOSING a mobile phone is more stressful to a young Singaporean than not doing well at school, a new study has found.

Struggling in lessons and exams caused misery for 70 per cent of those polled. But merely misplacing a handset brought despair to 72 per cent.

The two crises were the top stress factors in an online study meant to help media networks understand "millennial audiences around the globe".

Financial consultant Soon Qiao Ying, 24, agreed with the findings after losing her phone twice this year. "It costs a lot to get a new phone. Also, we depend on our phones a lot these days so being uncontactable even for a short while is troublesome."

Young Singaporeans also appear to be more stressed than their foreign counterparts, with 39 per cent saying they feel under pressure, compared with the global average of 33 per cent.

An online study called The Next Normal, by mass media company Viacom, was conducted in June and July to look into "attitudes, values, aspirations and perspectives of young people". It will help the company determine programming content.

The findings, released last month at the Monaco Media Forum, contain responses from 11,300 respondents between nine and 30 years old from 24 countries, including China, India and the US.

In Singapore, 451 people took part in the study. The most stressed-out age group here was the nine to 14 age range.

Students and parents interviewed said the findings are not unusual.

Secondary 2 student Lucas Hsu, 14, who recently returned from a school trip to Canada, said students of his age there were doing mathematics problems that were easier than those Singaporean teenagers have to do. "Students there seem to be more self-directed so perhaps they stress themselves out less," he observed.

Writer Tan Soon Meng, 49, said "it is not by accident" that Singaporean students outdo their foreign counterparts in international exams. "Success in all these exams comes at a cost... we need to ask ourselves if this is what we want for our children," said Mr Tan, who has two daughters aged 12 and 15.

Other key international findings from the study showed half of the respondents believe job security will get worse and 75 per cent believe social media has a beneficial effect on relationship with friends.

[email protected]

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Losing cellphone 'most stressful for youth'

not only for youth la, old men also stressful

before the age of cellphone all contact numbers could remember by heart but now mistress' number also don't remember without phone

itchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
VERY True....when I lost my hp last time, I paid $50 dollars to get it back from the one who found it. I had to go to his house to get it some more.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes i feel like using a car to run over my Samsung smartphone. :biggrin:

take a video and post it on Youtube!!

why? because I want to protest against corruption and nepotism!

Last edited:

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does one lose a phone? Always hold in your hand and leave it on some public place like Starbucks table? Or slip out of pocket while inside the cab?
In all these 10 years, I've never lost my phone, and I always make it a habit to pat my pockets when I stand up from a seat or when I get out from any vehicle.

Seriously.. kids nowadays...