• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Looking for new Integrated Amp to replace my Accuphase E210

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Budget around $10,000

Any suggestions? Looking at the Accuphase E460.

e-460.jpg

http://www.accuphase.com/model/e-460.html

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that's an extremely high end integrated amplifier for the home. :eek:

my dad who's nuts about stacking his own hi-fi audio system has an onkyo m-5000r 2-channel amplifier, and i thought that was a bloody waste of money. he rarely uses it. :p

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thanks to the PAP and to LKY in particular, I have some money to splurge on a new amplifier.

My E210 has been provided uninterrupted listening pleasure since 1991. However, it is time to replace my ageing speakers so I thought I might as well get a new amp too.

$10,000 is cheap by audiophile standards. It is less than 10% of the CPF minimum sum.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
e-360.jpg

Accuphase
E360 is a true example of pure exotica

In this issue, along with various other new products, we had the opportunity to show off a
component for which we can freely say is one of a kind. Not only because Accuphase products
are famously exotic in the world of audio components but also because this is the first
opportunity we have had to show off the products of this Japanese firm in the pages of our
publication.

The Accuphase E‐360 Intergrated Amplifier is the latest model on offer from this company,
premiering a few months ago, and represents an evolution on the earlier model from which it
does not differ in aesthetics aside from the label. Accuphase has a long tradition of producing
high‐end audio products and a continual design aesthetic which is closer to a retro style rather
than a contemporary design.

Unsurpassed Quality in Engineering

The usual vumeters and a small LED display are found in the middle of the thick anodized
aluminium front panel, below which are placed the indicators of active functions. The quality of
the product is unsurpassed which is the usual mark of an Accuphase product. The individual
side panels form a solid housing with the top plate being coated with a special anti‐resonant
layer which minimizes any unwanted effects. The selection and volume dials are found on the
front panel and utilize the patented Accuphase system AAVA. This solution has some
advantages over classic volume dial in terms of higher quality of work and greater durability. A
great many more controls are found behind the front panel cover, the most impressive being
the round tone controls which are a rare inclusion on high‐end amplifiers these days. There are
also buttons for speaker controls for two pairs of speakers, changing phase, recording control,
audio‐direct controls, controls to turn off the display and vumeter, direct‐audio inputs, and
insofar as the amplifier has an integrated phono preamp (optional, modular type) you can
select the sensitivity (MM or MC). The front panel also contains the attenuator and a port for
headphones.

The rear panel also displays a high number of high quality connections. Six line inputs, two of
which are balanced XLR with two pairs of solid speaker plugs. There is also the possibility of
installing a DAC and phono preamp in module slots available on the rear panel.

We had no doubts that the aural results would also be of the highest standard. The sound
presentation of differing musical material was breathtaking. The tonal balance is unique, with a
beautiful mid‐range and crystal clear high frequency and an extremely rich bass.

We were overcome with the incredibly skilful performance of three acoustic guitars from the
song Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues (Kings of Strings). The presentation of the K2HD
published album Happy Coat (Shota Osabe Trio) was also thoroughly enjoyable and contained
fine technical details, while the bass in Ray Brown songs shows that such a voluminous bass
lacks clear definition. By changing the speaker system while listening to a CD of Bolero
(Minnesota Orchestra) we found much better sound results and finally discovered the full
dynamic potential of this amplifier.

Accuphase E‐360 is definitely a powerful unit which demands a very sophisticated match with
the right speakers and other components. This class of engineering is deserving of respect and
care, which is reflected in the final price. While it’s true that this is an expensive intergrated
amplifier, this level of quality, comfort and bounty of options justifies the price. In closing, keep
in mind that Accuphase is also seen a status symbol.

FOR: perfect work and engineering quality, refined middle and high spectrum, great dynamic,
luxury design, an incredible array of additional options.

AGAINST: the bass definition could be better, can be demanding when matching speakers,
price.

CONCLUSION: Extremely powerful amplifier, with a unique sound character and many
potential addons

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how about the mark levinson no.532h amplifier? it's about $9000. great reviews on it. saw someone's home entertainment system had a no.33h, and it was thunderous. :eek:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
how about the mark levinson no.532h amplifier? it's about $9000. great reviews on it. saw someone's home entertainment system had a no.33h, and it was thunderous. :eek:

The first question I always ask myself is "Where is it made?".

The reason for my love of Accuphase is because the whole unit is made in Japan from tip to toe plus it sounds great.

Many other brands have resorted to designing the units at home but subcontracting to Commie land for assembly and once you do that, you lose control of the manufacturing process and it could end up sounding great but for only a short period of time till something breaks down or it sounds shitty from the onset because some commie bastard swapped expensive components for cheaper parts.

I'll do some research. :wink:

Marilyn

Alfrescian
Loyal
It would seem like for that kind of budget, you should go the way of separates. Tubes are always good :smile:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only solid state amp huh ?

Accuphase very hard to beat plus got tone controls and has pre-out and main-in to upgrade in the future..........

can try BAT............they have a hybrid int amp, not sure of the cost..........for hybrids, Pathos is also very good

if want solid state only............can try Audionet or Densen............but no tone controls and only got pre-outs

if want something really different, can try Lavardin................but no remote and power very low.............

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
only solid state amp huh ?

Accuphase very hard to beat plus got tone controls and has pre-out and main-in to upgrade in the future..........

can try BAT............they have a hybrid int amp, not sure of the cost..........for hybrids, Pathos is also very good

if want solid state only............can try Audionet or Densen............but no tone controls and only got pre-outs

if want something really different, can try Lavardin................but no remote and power very low.............

I'm not a real audiophile because beyond about $USD30,000 total for speakers, amp and CD/turntable unit, I honesty cannot hear any difference so any incremental costs are useless to me.

However, I can hear the difference between various set ups at that price range and which choice to make often depends on the type of music that most suits the characteristics of that particular combination.

I've always wanted to get one of these though but I cannot bring myself to spend the money on something which I cannot first test out at home and so far there have been no distributors with demo units to loan to prospective buyers.

http://www.accuphase.com/model/dg-58.htm
[h=1]DIGITAL VOICING EQUALIZER DG-58[/h]
dg-58.jpg

Does anyone out there have any experience with this or similar equipment. It is supposed to be able to compensate for poor room acoustics.

http://www.tweakshop.com/Accuphase DG-48.html

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What an utter waste of money squandering it all away on something as useless as an integrated amp! Stereo is stereo.

Freaks like you chase after a dream and an illusion called the Perfect reproduction. there's no such thing as perfect sound except to hear it from source.

For this amount, I can donate to Roy who is fighting a just and noble cause.

Spend it on a useless piece of metal box, you cant take it with you when you meet your Maker. And by the way, they have perfect organ pipe system up there.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What an utter waste of money squandering it all away on something as useless as an integrated amp! Stereo is stereo.

Freaks like you chase after a dream and an illusion called the Perfect reproduction. there's no such thing as perfect sound except to hear it from source.

For this amount, I can donate to Roy who is fighting a just and noble cause.

Spend it on a useless piece of metal box, you cant take it with you when you meet your Maker. And by the way, they have perfect organ pipe system up there.

Please do not politicise this section. I set it up for the specific purpose of being able to discuss issues without being interrupted with posts like yours.

Besides I don't give a shit about the Roy Ngerng's of this world. I worked hard for my money and I suggest others do the same. I gave CPF the middle finger a long time ago because I don't need the money locked up there. I suggest the rest of Singapore stop wasting their time feeling sorry for themselves and concentrate on making money instead.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no point getting those DSP room correction things lah..........cost too much and will affect sound quality.....

looks like Accuphase is best bet for amp since got tone controls can help compensate a bit for room acoustics......

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cool it, bro! All he made abt Roy was only one sentence...

Please do not politicise this section. I set it up for the specific purpose of being able to discuss issues without being interrupted with posts like yours.

Besides I don't give a shit about the Roy Ngerng's of this world. I worked hard for my money and I suggest others do the same. I gave CPF the middle finger a long time ago because I don't need the money locked up there. I suggest the rest of Singapore stop wasting their time feeling sorry for themselves and concentrate on making money instead.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does anyone out there have any experience with this or similar equipment. It is supposed to be able to compensate for poor room acoustics.

the complete set of accuphase power amp, equalizer, and tuner/receiver looks exceptionally good. don't know about how it sounds like. similar finish, brushed metallic and black display, plus the consistent knobs and power button. when stacked neatly in a bay, it can be awe-inspiring. my dad has a bay of vintage aiwa pre-amp, power amp, and stereo tuner commonly known as the cpr - c30, p30, and r30. all metallic finish on the front, and they look great as a set. they weren't expensive when they were bought new, but they did their job. right now, they're sitting idle in the bay covered with cloth. i would recommend the same manufacturer for same look and feel unless you're into best of breeds, which will turn your bay into a hodgepodge of colors and form factor.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Cool it, bro! All he made abt Roy was only one sentence...

Yes but the rest of the post wasn't very civil either. There's no need for such a derogatory tone in this section.

I enjoy my classical/jazz/fusion/new age music when it is played on good equipment. For top 40 stuff, my iPod is fine.