• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

lol...TOC asking MDA why it was not asked to pay $50k

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20130530-426087.html

By Tessa Wong
Singapolitics
Thursday, May 30, 2013
The Online Citizen (TOC) has rebutted a claim by the Media Development Authority (MDA) that the site does not meet criteria for an individual license.

TOC on Wednesday morning published a screenshot of its statistics showing it received 171,601 unique visitors from April 26 to May 26. It did not state where those visitors were from.

The two criteria of the recently announced individual licensing scheme for news websites are: that the site posts at least one news article about Singapore a week; and that the site attracts more than 50,000 unique visitors from Singapore per month, over two months.

In its latest posting, TOC said MDA: "MDA's failure to explain how its new policy is to be applied at present suggest that the manner in which it is being introduced is opaque and arbitrary, and does not give Singaporeans confidence in its clear application in the future."

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some of you twits are very daft and can't read between the lines.

What TOC is doing here, is to force an admission by the authorities that the licensing policy was nothing more than a meticulously crafted ploy to screw over Yahoo SG.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some of you twits are very daft and can't read between the lines.

What TOC is doing here, is to force an admission by the authorities that the licensing policy was nothing more than a meticulously crafted ploy to screw over Yahoo SG.

I have a degree in Between Line Reading.

Dont forgot about the links TOC has with Andrew Loh and Andrew Loh is writer for Yahoo.

Also not silly meh. It will be like a gay man having sex with another man in toilet, then shouting why police never catch me!

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a degree in Between Line Reading.

Dont forgot about the links TOC has with Andrew Loh and Andrew Loh is writer for Yahoo.

Also not silly meh. It will be like a gay man having sex with another man in toilet, then shouting why police never catch me!
TOC move serve a few purposes. First is to put mda in difficult position to explain distinction made between yahoo and TOC. I'm sure mda will provide a twisted answer that will make mda a laughing stock.

Next is to force mda to explicitly say TOC does not fall within the new ruling, in so doing then mda has to keep to their word in future without being seen as changing the rules too frequently.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure the Govt did not expect TOC to do this and they are stuck. Clearly there is not rational behind the decision. Kudos to the TOC crew. I want o see a Minister get out of this one.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am sure the Govt did not expect TOC to do this and they are stuck. Clearly there is not rational behind the decision. Kudos to the TOC crew. I want o see a Minister get out of this one.

Choo Zheng Xi played this very well. They know Yaacob is not targeting them, so they have nothing to fear or to lose by exposing this discrepancy.

The Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act used to be called the Chee Soon Juan law after he and his sister were arrested at Hong Lim in 2001 after trying to stage a protest-cum-march.

This law will be called the Yahoo Singapore News law.

Last edited: