• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local shipyard worker earns S$35K per year

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans are plain lazy. A local shipyard worker can earn S$35k per year (including bonuses). !!:o
nah! ...

sporeans hv higher aspirations ... all looking 4ward 2 having a million $ salary n oni nid 2 tcss (upturn ze downturn ... o chipper, o betta, o faster ... ) ...

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are plain lazy. A local shipyard worker can earn S$35k per year (including bonuses). !!:o

Can you provide breakdown of basic and bonus ? Shipyards were known to give very good bonus.

Assuming 6 months bonus, means basic is 2/3 that amount, ie. $23.3K per year, ie. about $2K gross. Is that good with the risk and all ? I know someone can make many times that with only talk bird words and cook mee siam mai ham.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My pay exceeds 35K a year(not including Bonus) :oIo::oIo::oIo:

Bonuses are unpredictable variables. A good year U can see company get 6 mth bonuses and none on a bad year. If bad year that guy jiak sai issit :oIo::oIo::oIo:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what I am trying to say is that there are lots of local out-of-jobbed and low educated loafers who complain and complain they can't find jobs.

here at our shipyards, a local worker can earn 35 grand a year (no joking)!!

locals here are plain lazy !!:mad:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what I am trying to say is that there are lots of local out-of-jobbed and low educated loafers who complain and complain they can't find jobs.

New graduates only earn around the same amount of 35 grand a year only, these cow beh cow bu local jobless fucks are too pampered !! What the fuck they do is only complain FTs take away their jobs. These localpeople are pure pussies !!:mad:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

If you are not joking or provoking, do you mind telling us the specific, for the benefit of those out of jobs and visiting this forum.

- Is it a skill or any unskill worker?
- How many vacancy is still available?
- Which company is hiring?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For a start, why don't you apply to Keppel, Sembawang...and motivate the loafers to join the shipyards?

I think, you must have crawled out in the 1980's...in the past, the shipyards are filled with SINgaporeans & then later Malaysians..and now FT's...

Why...no SINgaporeans these days, or lesser...you should go to Keppel Tuas, Keppel FELS, Sembawang Shipyards or.....

and ask...the 'last of mohican's...true blue SINgaporeans, why!!:rolleyes:

and ask if they can get 35 grand a year...

ossy77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can give a brief breakdown since I am in the marine industry for about 10 years.

A worker annual salary to hit 35k is not a surprise.

Apprentice
basic salary $1000.
$1000/22/8.8 = $5.2 per hour
Assuming an average of 60 hours of overtime at 1.5 times rate and 20 hours at double rate per month.
(60*1.5+20*2)*$5.2=$676 per month.
Assuming a mean bonus across Sembawang, ST Marine, Jurong and Keppel at 6 months bonus.

($1000+$676)*12+$1000*6= $26112 annually for an apprentice.

Some old bird having 10 to 15 years of experience still having the grade as a charge hand, their basic salary are capped at $1800 and they are eligible for Overtime incentives and their annual pay will be as below.

$1800/22/8.8 = $9.3 per hour
Assuming an average of 60 hours of overtime at 1.5 times rate and 20 hours at double rate per month.
(60*1.5+20*2)*$9.3=$1116 per month.

($1800+$1116)*12+$1800*6 = $45792

As for a newly graduated engineer, starting salary at $2600 and the starting salary will vary with different class of honors.

Hope I can clarify all those in doubts. This industry is full of dangers and politics. You need to start early and end late.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's very possible. But requires hard work. I knew of welders in the oil & gas construction (mostly M'isans) to log on overtime and work over weekends... and not for show, they really do work. Their work attitude is admirable.

If the blokes sitting around kpkb can get off their butts and do the same, even $50k a year is achievable.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I can give a brief breakdown since I am in the marine industry for about 10 years.

A worker annual salary to hit 35k is not a surprise.

Apprentice
basic salary $1000.
$1000/22/8.8 = $5.2 per hour
(60*1.5+20*2)*$5.2=$676 per month.
Assuming a mean bonus across Sembawang, ST Marine, Jurong and Keppel at 6 months bonus.

($1000+$676)*12+$1000*6= $26112 annually for an apprentice.

Some old bird having 10 to 15 years of experience still having the grade as a charge hand, their basic salary are capped at $1800 and they are eligible for Overtime incentives and their annual pay will be as below.

$1800/22/8.8 = $9.3 per hour
(60*1.5+20*2)*$9.3=$1116 per month.

($1800+$1116)*12+$1800*6 = $45792

As for a newly graduated engineer, starting salary at $2600 and the starting salary will vary with different class of honors.

Hope I can clarify all those in doubts. This industry is full of dangers and politics. You need to start early and end late.

Since lot's of pylons are standing up for Mahjula singapura, I suppose these are during good times. Now, these workers are lucky to have a job let alone the OT and 6 months bonus? Ok, accepted, before they can earn this salary but not without OT and 6 months bonus ( 1800 * 6 = 10,800).

I thought I have heard the good news and ask my Ah Mah to apply.:rolleyes:

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal

It used to be that a shipyard worker's annual wage averages SGD$72,000.00 (excluding bonuses).... then the FTs came in to do the same job for cheaper wages :( .......... so now it's SGD$35,000.00 per year ?......... That's less than half of what the workers used to get!! :(

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not ?
they can easily earn it if the shipping lines are good as there will be a lot of new orders or maintenance works. this will create a lot of overtimes.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone out of job can apply direct at Keppel or Jurong shipyard. After they hire you, they will put you through a short course which teaches you welding and other skills.:smile:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To all you jobless but lazy fucks out there: There are many job openings at Keppel and Jurong shipyard now, as both have recently clinched new orders.