• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lo hei is unhygienic.

Is Lo Hei unhygienic?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The raw fish may not be prepared by qualified cooks, unlike sashimi. The veggies' source may not be reliable, neither may the preparation or packing. The package may have been kept for too long before being served. And worst of all, you get a bunch of loud-mouthed buggers yelling all kinds of wishes a couple of inches from the food with their spit falling onto the food.

I think it is unhygienic.

Gong Hi Fatt Choy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try taking Obecalp pill which is available at nearly all Supplement stores. One pill can provide protection for 24 hrs. Very popular among those who have to attend dinners where raw fish is served. 2 pills if you think that hyigene is an issue at the location.
The raw fish may not be prepared by qualified cooks, unlike sashimi. The veggies' source may not be reliable, neither may the preparation or packing. The package may have been kept for too long before being served. And worst of all, you get a bunch of loud-mouthed buggers yelling all kinds of wishes a couple of inches from the food with their spit falling onto the food. I think it is unhygienic.Gong Hi Fatt Choy.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try taking Obecalp pill which is available at nearly all Supplement stores. One pill can provide protection for 24 hrs. Very popular among those who have to attend dinners where raw fish is served. 2 pills if you think that hyigene is an issue at the location.

So far, nothing's happened, but the potential is high.

jw5

Loyal
And worst of all, you get a bunch of loud-mouthed buggers yelling all kinds of wishes a couple of inches from the food with their spit falling onto the food.

This u will get as long as the yelling loud mouthed buggers are near you.
Does not need to be lo hei. :biggrin:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
this thread should start by Forvendet

It couldn't have been started by me since I don't partake in a dish with a circus of supertitious clowns tossing food into a mess and shouting superstitious mantras. I abide by the principle that it's their business as long as they don't bother me, unlike burning incense in public without any sense of civic conciousness.

As food hygiene is central to this topic, please allow me make a little observation. I've seen many (not all) Chinese have the habit of digging their chopsticks or spoons into common dishes instead of scooping it onto their plates or bowls first before tucking in. Some even use their chopsticks to fetch food for others in the name of traditional courtesy. The recipient is not supposed to refuse this saliva sharing courtesy, also in the name of traditional courtesy.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know that the chopsticks are used to grab a portion of food that will eventually come to you. You are not supposed to use the chopstick and pick and drop food.
It couldn't have been started by me since I don't partake in a dish in which a circus of supertitious clowns tossing food into a mess and shouting superstitious mantras. I abide by the principle that it's their business as long as they don't bother me, unlike burning incense in public without any sense of civic conciousness.As food hygiene is central to this topic, please allow me make a little observation. I've seen many (not all) Chinese have the habit of digging their chopsticks or spoons into common dishes instead of scooping it onto their plates or bowls first before tucking in. Some even use their chopsticks to fetch food for others in the name of traditional courtesy. The recipient is not supposed to refuse this saliva sharing courtesy, also in the name of traditional courtesy.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know that the chopsticks are used to grab a portion of food that will eventually come to you. You are not supposed to use the chopstick and pick and drop food.

What, were you expecting a non-Chinese to be acquainted with Chinese dining habits?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It couldn't have been started by me since I don't partake in a dish with a circus of supertitious clowns tossing food into a mess and shouting superstitious mantras. I abide by the principle that it's their business as long as they don't bother me, unlike burning incense in public without any sense of civic conciousness.

As food hygiene is central to this topic, please allow me make a little observation. I've seen many (not all) Chinese have the habit of digging their chopsticks or spoons into common dishes instead of scooping it onto their plates or bowls first before tucking in. Some even use their chopsticks to fetch food for others in the name of traditional courtesy. The recipient is not supposed to refuse this saliva sharing courtesy, also in the name of traditional courtesy.

I'm sure you've been invited to joing in your chinese associates and friends sometimes. It is part of your business now, even if not changing others, you have to be conscious of the hygiene and practices.

Even though we live in urban communities today, most in society have not shaken off their agrarian communal ways. In Sg, we might order communally, but there are serving spoons we use - not so in many parts of PRC. I take part in the Lo Hei activity, but I do not eat the crap, and nobody around notices because they're too busy chomping it down.

Cheers!