• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY had to lay flowers at the graves for 2 Indonesian soldiers who murdered Singaporeans... and other Soft Truths for my fellow younger Singaporeans..

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY had to lay flowers at the graves for 2 Indonesian soldiers who murdered Singaporeans... and other Soft Truths for my fellow younger Singaporeans...

I am in my 40s, a Singaporean, married with 3 kids. Grew up in a HDB, served NS and paying CPF...

I spoke to a few Singaporeans in their 20s and early 30s. I could sense there is much quiet discontent about the recent failings of the government.

I am happy with Singapore mostly but like many, I belong to the silent majority...

With Oxleygate, Presidency Controversy, Covid-19 Response, TCB-LHY... I sense PAP may lose many votes, especially amongst the younger Singaporeans...

Soft Truth 1: Mdm Josephine Teo needs to reflect
I mean, how can one expect to be well-liked when one would only apologise when demanded upon. Granted nobody can have hindsight to prevent the tragic situation, but many good leaders have the humility to accept the shortcomings of their work and the courage to face the music. Singaporeans are not stupid. We can discern the facts to know that some things can’t be prevented, and certain compromises are needed to achieve delicate balance in the business environment. However, many can’t accept the arrogance in not owning up and taking responsibility. Such action loses votes. I hope she can make amends asap.

Soft Truth 2: SG is more vulnerable than most Singaporeans think
I travel South East Asia for work. I know for a clear fact that most of the governments around us hate SG. Namely because we are such a smart and tough competitor that we make them look bad. They have natural resources and plenty of land. We only have people and a tiny island, yet we are beating them in many areas. Would they eat us alive any time they can. Certainly! The only reason they don’t? It is because they can’t... (for now).

If not for the SAF, do we really think Malaysia will send us water out of contractual obligations? (For those of us who don’t really know why we served or are serving NS? Think of the water you feed your family with. That’s perhaps the most real and basic reason).

Plus the billions from our annual GDP that we spend on defence? Its not just to groom paper generals (definitely some are good, some bad), it is to buy weapons that can ensure our lunch are not taken and water continues to be served. And along the way, bring kids from very normal family background to prominence, folks like George Yeo and the likes...

Soft Truth 3: Salesmanship of LKY & Philip Yeo that gave us a headstart
With a strong defence as foundation, we were then able to build up a stable economy that foreigners are willing to invest in. The salesmanship of LKY and people like Philip Yeo helped us garnered much investment into SG in the early years. It is through those foreign investment in both technology and people, that SG was able to grow the quality of our workforce. Basically, we learned how the clever people in the world does business, copy them and then try to do it better than them.

This strategy by the forefathers has given us such an important headstart, that few countries in this part of the world now can come close. Therefore, SG made good profits, re-invested those money to build further advantages to ensure we maintain or extend our lead over the competition around us.

Jobs are generally available in SG, good food on the table and one holiday a year became a norm for many families.

And this is the norm from which many younger Singaporeans grew up in.

Many of whom may not be keenly aware of the cut-throat intense competition that goes on behind the scenes. The headstart that our forefather built up, needs to be cherished and protected.

The moment investors see that SG government is no longer stable... then that is the day our lead against our neighboring countries will begin to diminish...

Soft Truth 4: Things government cant say
Here, I write about very sensitive things that I suppose the politicians can’t really explain due to “political sensitivity”

Did Temasek or GIC really want to buy American banks during the Great Financial Crisis? Or could it be because US warships are stationed in our backyard.

Did the government really want to go through the chicanery of the minority presidency deal to prevent a TCB in Istana?

They for sure are smart enough to know it is utterly embarrassing. They know Singaporeans will hate a smelly move like this. But an Istana with TCB, would probably uncover much issues, and perhaps some of these issues may diminish Singapore’s standing. I wish i am more of an idealist but i rather not have anyone airing dirty laundry. I am sure there have been screw ups along the way by the government. But along with the screw ups, we achieved a way of life, few countries can enjoy. I am pragmatic. Don’t screw up a winning strategy.

I am a TCB fan and bless his soul for being a brave fighter. I wish him good health and for him to fight hard. But I hope he wont change the government as i worry SG will be more vulnerable if we lose the stability in government.

Soft Truth 5: Democracy?
At this point, if you see SG as a business entity, everything becomes clearer. As long as it does not affect business, can talk. As long as it affect business, they shut you down fast. (Ask the pilots who fought LKY)

Business in the sense of the general well being of Singapore as a whole. If you bring benefit, you will be welcomed. If you bring harm, bad things happen to you in SG and it happens fast.

This i feel is the core strategy of the SG government. They will do whatever it takes to protect the precious headstart, the lead that SG has... no matter how embarrassing or stupid it can be some times...

I believe in Darwin’s survival of the fittest. While PAP is able and in power, they will do everything it takes to make it hard for others to beat them. Likewise, when the Opposition eventually assume power, i too would expect them to do the same. Democracy to me is a theory. What democracy can we speak of if we have no water to drink? we got no oil, no land, not that many people. We do have a decent government that is hardly corrupted and who is doing a pretty good job (overall).

I bless the brave souls in the Opposition parties. I hope they have a good showing and scare the government into doing more for the people (like they did in 2011).

I think it feels very good to want to vote for TCB (LHY). Old man, hero, fighter and so i think many will vote for him...

But because i know how vulnerable SG is against the competition out there. Sorry call me pussy, but I rather stay safe.

To be continued... (SOrry working from home... kids need me now...)

pvtpublic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who have the luxury of "staying safe" have already secured their fortunes and retirements. Under the current system instituted by the PAP, fewer and fewer will have that luxury.

So what if the country shows glorious GDP figures when the.majority of the people are suffering? Only the few at the top, maybe top 25% are enjoying the promised good life. The rest are struggling and instead of helping them, the government imports foreigners to replace them and dilute their stake in the country.

It is clear the PAP hates its own citizens who are not part of the elite. The PAP does not know how to handle anyone who is not an A1 or A2 O-level type student. They have shown their desire to replace all the C5 C6 and below type students with cheap foreigners.

It is their own failing if they fair badly at the coming elections and fail to receive a strong mandate. Blame no one except themselves for their mismanagement of the politics of the country. The PAP 3G is the biggest threat to the stability of the nation through their collective failure to manage what has been gifted to them by 1G. Even 2G is so sick of 3G they are quitting.

4G will inherit a weak mandate thanks to the failings of 3G.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But because i know how vulnerable SG is against the competition out there. Sorry call me pussy, but I rather stay safe.

If you want to stay safe, the last thing you want is to give more power to LKY's feckless eldest son and daughter-in-law.

Also, LKY has been dead for half a decade. Time to let go.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans think
I travel South East Asia for work. I know for a clear fact that most of the governments around us hate SG. Namely because we are such a smart and tough competitor that we make them look bad
Actually, most neighbouring countries are angry because sinkie allows their local chinkie businesses to evade taxes. Without tax income, how to develop their country. This was prevalent to indonesia and malaysia but hopefully has now mitigated. Almost all trading in palm oil, timber coal etc i am sure are done through their marketing offices in Singapore or Hong kong. And PAP tried to attract same with indian companies gence CECA. But i think Dubai beat them to it.
Only thaksin managed to get some money back slthough the money he sold his companies were never brought back into thailand but deposited in singapore or other tax haven.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stating the obvious.

LKY had to lay flowers at the graves for 2 Indonesian soldiers who murdered Singaporeans... and other Soft Truths for my fellow younger Singaporeans...

I am in my 40s, a Singaporean, married with 3 kids. Grew up in a HDB, served NS and paying CPF...

I spoke to a few Singaporeans in their 20s and early 30s. I could sense there is much quiet discontent about the recent failings of the government.

I am happy with Singapore mostly but like many, I belong to the silent majority...

With Oxleygate, Presidency Controversy, Covid-19 Response, TCB-LHY... I sense PAP may lose many votes, especially amongst the younger Singaporeans...

Soft Truth 1: Mdm Josephine Teo needs to reflect
I mean, how can one expect to be well-liked when one would only apologise when demanded upon. Granted nobody can have hindsight to prevent the tragic situation, but many good leaders have the humility to accept the shortcomings of their work and the courage to face the music. Singaporeans are not stupid. We can discern the facts to know that some things can’t be prevented, and certain compromises are needed to achieve delicate balance in the business environment. However, many can’t accept the arrogance in not owning up and taking responsibility. Such action loses votes. I hope she can make amends asap.

Soft Truth 2: SG is more vulnerable than most Singaporeans think
I travel South East Asia for work. I know for a clear fact that most of the governments around us hate SG. Namely because we are such a smart and tough competitor that we make them look bad. They have natural resources and plenty of land. We only have people and a tiny island, yet we are beating them in many areas. Would they eat us alive any time they can. Certainly! The only reason they don’t? It is because they can’t... (for now).

If not for the SAF, do we really think Malaysia will send us water out of contractual obligations? (For those of us who don’t really know why we served or are serving NS? Think of the water you feed your family with. That’s perhaps the most real and basic reason).

Plus the billions from our annual GDP that we spend on defence? Its not just to groom paper generals (definitely some are good, some bad), it is to buy weapons that can ensure our lunch are not taken and water continues to be served. And along the way, bring kids from very normal family background to prominence, folks like George Yeo and the likes...

Soft Truth 3: Salesmanship of LKY & Philip Yeo that gave us a headstart
With a strong defence as foundation, we were then able to build up a stable economy that foreigners are willing to invest in. The salesmanship of LKY and people like Philip Yeo helped us garnered much investment into SG in the early years. It is through those foreign investment in both technology and people, that SG was able to grow the quality of our workforce. Basically, we learned how the clever people in the world does business, copy them and then try to do it better than them.

This strategy by the forefathers has given us such an important headstart, that few countries in this part of the world now can come close. Therefore, SG made good profits, re-invested those money to build further advantages to ensure we maintain or extend our lead over the competition around us.

Jobs are generally available in SG, good food on the table and one holiday a year became a norm for many families.

And this is the norm from which many younger Singaporeans grew up in.

Many of whom may not be keenly aware of the cut-throat intense competition that goes on behind the scenes. The headstart that our forefather built up, needs to be cherished and protected.

The moment investors see that SG government is no longer stable... then that is the day our lead against our neighboring countries will begin to diminish...

Soft Truth 4: Things government cant say
Here, I write about very sensitive things that I suppose the politicians can’t really explain due to “political sensitivity”

Did Temasek or GIC really want to buy American banks during the Great Financial Crisis? Or could it be because US warships are stationed in our backyard.

Did the government really want to go through the chicanery of the minority presidency deal to prevent a TCB in Istana?

They for sure are smart enough to know it is utterly embarrassing. They know Singaporeans will hate a smelly move like this. But an Istana with TCB, would probably uncover much issues, and perhaps some of these issues may diminish Singapore’s standing. I wish i am more of an idealist but i rather not have anyone airing dirty laundry. I am sure there have been screw ups along the way by the government. But along with the screw ups, we achieved a way of life, few countries can enjoy. I am pragmatic. Don’t screw up a winning strategy.

I am a TCB fan and bless his soul for being a brave fighter. I wish him good health and for him to fight hard. But I hope he wont change the government as i worry SG will be more vulnerable if we lose the stability in government.

Soft Truth 5: Democracy?
At this point, if you see SG as a business entity, everything becomes clearer. As long as it does not affect business, can talk. As long as it affect business, they shut you down fast. (Ask the pilots who fought LKY)

Business in the sense of the general well being of Singapore as a whole. If you bring benefit, you will be welcomed. If you bring harm, bad things happen to you in SG and it happens fast.

This i feel is the core strategy of the SG government. They will do whatever it takes to protect the precious headstart, the lead that SG has... no matter how embarrassing or stupid it can be some times...

I believe in Darwin’s survival of the fittest. While PAP is able and in power, they will do everything it takes to make it hard for others to beat them. Likewise, when the Opposition eventually assume power, i too would expect them to do the same. Democracy to me is a theory. What democracy can we speak of if we have no water to drink? we got no oil, no land, not that many people. We do have a decent government that is hardly corrupted and who is doing a pretty good job (overall).

I bless the brave souls in the Opposition parties. I hope they have a good showing and scare the government into doing more for the people (like they did in 2011).

I think it feels very good to want to vote for TCB (LHY). Old man, hero, fighter and so i think many will vote for him...

To be continued... (SOrry working from home... kids need me now...)

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
No other country in the world can compare to our form of democracy.....

1) GRC
2) NMP
3) Reserved EP

Not to mention the need to pay the ministers $m to look after a small city state of 5m...of which only 3,5m citizens that you really need to bother to look after population.

How hard can it be that you need to lure expertise and elite talents with high high salary to run this small economy ?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I sense fear of change. It’s precisely this concoction that without PAP you will become maids n cheap labourers overseas that make you hooked on this opium every five years.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I say the silent majority had spoken, looks like they want a PAP government but also wants oppositions to keep the PAP in check.

Give them what they want, the “by-election” effect will be the most effective way of sending more opposition members into Parliament.

First up, I’d like to see PAP controlling less than 2/3 of the Parliamentary seats. 93 seats with 12 NCMPs with voting rights, we need at least 36 opposition members elected into the Parliament.

knnb40

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too travel around in within south East asia between 2008 till now.
even before the pandemic i already ask myself.....I only know how to trade, sell and con my way to earn a living....sustainable ?
I see the CECA, PRC, Philippine....blue collar competing with me and my kid for usd-1500 to usd-4500 and one day they decide to just go back to their home town and they can buy land or plant, lay back and retired..... (best if buy toto and hit a small fortune...no need to work for the rest of their life....)

Do I have farming land I can fall back to?
the government held onto my CPF till 65....which means I can't do any planning to start a hawker stall.....

starting of hawker stall....
HDB hawker stall :
cleaning fee between 350 to 500+ / 600 ?
bidding for a hawker stall....at least 500 at ulu location ?
need to setup stainless steel furniture and fixture cost at least 1500....
minimum need to able to tahan 3-month no profit ......
therefore setup cost for hawker stall minimum 2-month rental + cleaning + setup + ingredient + 3-month reserved = 10K minimum.

so don't release CPF I can't even lay back and be a hawker.....

for any first world country, there should be choices for old and young....
grab driver,
hawker
artist
performer
doctor
lawyer
teacher

Goh CT...swiss living standard ?

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many soft points, no hard points like paying THEMSELF millions or having her salary a national secret or putting your spouses in high positions. Looks like paper General telling us the art to survive with PAP.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I say the silent majority had spoken, looks like they want a PAP government but also wants oppositions to keep the PAP in check.

Like the 2011 GE? Short span only. Came 2016 GE sinkies kiasi kiasu and gave MIW a landslide victory.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Like the 2011 GE? Short span only. Came 2016 GE sinkies kiasi kiasu and gave MIW a landslide victory.

AJ GRC was like a dream come true for the opposition where you see the highest number of seats taken by non-PAP MPs in our short six decades since self governance.

The MIW had been moving the yard stick from the introduction of GRCs in 88, and then raising the deposits of the candidates over the years. Think about the Black Centrepoint event, or event the spin offs from it.

Point is, you need the folks to slowly discard their fear, people need time to learn that diversity breeds better ideas, and opposition parties are not opposing for the sake of opposing.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AJ GRC was like a dream come true for the opposition where you see the highest number of seats taken by non-PAP MPs in our short six decades since self governance.

The MIW had been moving the yard stick from the introduction of GRCs in 88, and then raising the deposits of the candidates over the years. Think about the Black Centrepoint event, or event the spin offs from it.

Point is, you need the folks to slowly discard their fear, people need time to learn that diversity breeds better ideas, and opposition parties are not opposing for the sake of opposing.

After WP won AJ Grc, wat happened? Arrogant...refused to cooperate with other oppie during the 2016 GE. Big head. Fielded so many new candidates but all lost except AJ with lower percentage.

We need oppie to check on MIW. But is WP doing their job? Most of time tiam tiam. Looking at past 5 years event, i think its the worst. All kind of policies not beneficial to sinkies. In fact it added more burden to sinkies. And we have arrogant MIW MPs and Ministers talking kock and ticking off daft sinkies. So coming GE, 70% daft sinkies one last chance. This may be ur last chance. :cautious: