• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Little Sinkie Local Is World Youngest Kid To Beat Good White Man Grandmaster In Chess! Oppies Still Think PAP Is Bad?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ashwath.png

Ashwath Kausik has become the youngest chess player to beat a grandmaster at eight years, six months, and 11 days, reported Chess.com.

In his record-breaking feat on Feb. 18, the Singapore player beat Polish grandmaster Jacek Stopa, 37, in a three-hour game at the Burgdorfer Stadthaus-Open.

The previous record was set a month prior by Serbian player Leonid Ivanovic, who defeated a grandmaster at the age of 8 years, 11 months, and seven days.

He had become the first player under the age of nine to beat a grandmaster in a classical tournament game, making Ashwath the second.

Speaking to Chess.com, Ashwath said that the win felt "really exciting and amazing".

"I felt proud of my game and how I played, especially since I was worse at one point but managed to come back from that."

Picked up chess at 4
Ashwath is an Indian citizen who has lived in Singapore with his family for six years.

He attends the Overseas Family School in Pasir Ris.

His father, Kaushik Sriram, said that the child picked up chess at four years old while playing with his grandparents.

Neither he nor his wife play chess.

As the family has no particular sporting tradition, Kaushik shared that his son's achievement was "surreal".

"Every day is a new discovery, and we sometimes stumble in search of the right pathway for him."

Spends seven hours a day on chess
Today, Ashwath spends up to seven hours a day on chess, working with coaches such as Kevin Goh, CEO of the Singapore Chess Federation.

Calling the child "tactically very sharp", Goh also noted that his family is extremely supportive and "does not put excessive pressure on him".

"We are proud of Ashwath, but also do not set any targets for him and let him grow at his own pace. Him breaking this world record is simply a bonus."

The Singapore grandmaster also posted about his protégé's results on X (formerly known as Twitter).

"He needs a booster cushion to reach the other side of the board," he quipped.

https://mothership.sg/2024/02/spore-chess-player-8/

bigozt

Alfrescian
Loyal
This kid's status is still CECA FT. Non eligible for NS. He goto an expat school and therefore will neber mix or integrate with Sinkie kids. Future job will be in Silicunt Valley entry via US CECAs. Chess.com is very ethical to leeport his status.