• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liew Mun Leong Billion Dollars Temasek Reputation Has Been Rubbished

GUDANGARAM

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - A former domestic worker has been cleared by the High Court of stealing more than $34,000 worth of items from Changi Airport Group (CAG) chairman Liew Mun Leong and his family.

Liew Mun Leong illegally instructed his 600 dollar maid to clean his million dollar house and his son (Karl Liew) million dollar house. 1 maid has to work in 2 houses. Where is MOM? Somebody please
report to MOM!!!

He found that the family had "improper motives" and wanted to stop her from going to the authorities.

Judge claimed that Karl Liew could be dishonest and lied to the authorities:
Chow ah Qua Karl Liew likes to wear woman clothes

The judge also found the testimony of Mr Karl Liew to be "highly suspect". The younger Mr Liew had claimed in court that various items of female clothing, allegedly stolen by Miss Parti, belonged to him as he liked to cross-dress.

GUDANGARAM

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy likes to wear women clothes
ptmaid.jpg

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The judge also found the testimony of Mr Karl Liew to be "highly suspect". The younger Mr Liew had claimed in court that various items of female clothing, allegedly stolen by Miss Parti, belonged to him as he liked to cross-dress.

What the fuck..... so the junior Liew likes to cross-dress? Or is he saying that to get the maid into trouble ?

GUDANGARAM

Alfrescian
Loyal
The younger Mr Liew had claimed in court that various items of female clothing, allegedly stolen by Miss Parti, belonged to him as he liked to cross-dress.
NP_20180426_SQPARTI2664SD_3939538.jpg

GUDANGARAM

Alfrescian
Loyal
Karl Liew Kai Lung is also an dishonest man.
Ex-banker found liable for $6.5 million guarantee claimed by former client

The judge rejected Mr Liew's claim that Mr Zhou had transferred the investment funds without his approval, finding that "Liew was aware of the transactions and money transfers... as he was copied" on the relevant correspondences.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
I bet Karl Liew also stash up SQ girls' sarong kebaya....ask his daddy take from office.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ex-banker found liable for $6.5 million guarantee claimed by former client
courts1.jpg

PUBLISHED
JAN 3, 2018, 5:00 AM SGT

Court finds he had guaranteed investments to businessman, made false representations
K.C. Vijayan
Senior Law Correspondent

A former private banker who was paid a visit at his Chancery Lane home by debt collectors hired by a former client, has been held by the High Court to be liable for the $6.5 million in investments he had guaranteed the businessman.

Mr Karl Liew, who is the son of founding president and former chief executive officer of CapitaLand Group, Mr Liew Mun Leong, was sued by the businessman, Mr Alan Zhou, for breaching the personal guarantees.

The court also found Mr Liew liable for deceit in making false representations to Mr Zhou about the investments, which were in China.

In finding Mr Liew liable, Judicial Commissioner Audrey Lim said in judgment grounds last week that Mr Liew stood to gain by his fees and Mr Zhou had "relied on Liew's representations as Liew was his fund manager who had sourced for and recommended the investment products to Zhou".

Mr Liew had challenged the enforceability of the investment pacts and personal guarantees.

As he had been made a bankrupt last year, Mr Liew was not sanctioned by the Official Assignee (OA) to defend the suit against him and was instead subpoenaed to testify in court by Mr Zhou's lawyer Eugene Quah from RHTLaw Taylor Wessing.

Bankrupts must obtain permission from the OA to contest suits.

A court default judgment had already been entered against a second defendant, Realm Capital (RCL), a British Virgin Islands company Mr Liew had set up to spearhead investments into China.

A default judgment was found for the $6.5 million sought, comprising the $6 million principal sum and interest, as the company did not enter an appearance.

Mr Liew claimed Mr Zhou had breached the agreements by not paying the investment funds to RCL but a third party, Ms Chen Jie, a Chinese national who was the contact point for the investment recipients in China.

The judge rejected Mr Liew's claim that Mr Zhou had transferred the investment funds without his approval, finding that "Liew was aware of the transactions and money transfers... as he was copied" on the relevant correspondences.

Judicial Commissioner Lim also disbelieved Mr Liew's claim that he had personally paid Mr Zhou $500,000 to help Ms Chen repay the monies, saying she was on the run. "Overall, I find Liew to be a dishonest and evasive witness, whose evidence was riddled with inconsistencies," said Judicial Commissioner Lim.

She ruled that as the agreements were valid and enforceable against RCL and RCL had defaulted on them, Liew was liable for them.

It is understood that even if he is discharged from bankruptcy, it will not release him from this debt, since it involved deceit.

In September 2015, Mr Zhou hired debt collectors, who went to Mr Liew's home seeking to recover the money. The five debt collectors were subsequently dealt with in court for their aggressive behaviour and insulting words.

Mr Zhou had also sued for damages against the firm System Impact (SIPL), Ms Mah Mei Sin and Mr Gobindram Harjani, claiming they had wrongfully retained monies, among other things.

Under the investment pacts, Mr Zhou was required to transfer the funds to the account of SIPL and at times to Ms Mah.

Ms Mah and SIPL had allegedly transferred the investment funds to Mr Gobindram, as a further intermediary in remitting funds.

Mr Gobindram, defended by lawyer Lim Kim Hong, was cleared of the claim. Ms Mah was found liable for $247,689 and jointly with SIPL for another $1 million.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Became CEO of the biggest property company in SG because of his long tenure in the civil service, but don't know how to be a good "sir" (to his domestic helper) and a good father.

Interview with Changi Airport Group's Liew Mun Leong: You've got mail - from the chairman
Mr Liew, who used to be the CEO of CapitaLand, started penning his Sunday e-mails back in 1998, initially for staff at the real estate giant and now at the two firms he chairs. A collection of these e-mails has been published over four volumes, wit

Mr Liew, who used to be the CEO of CapitaLand, started penning his "Sunday e-mails" back in 1998, initially for staff at the real estate giant and now at the two firms he chairs. A collection of these e-mails has been published over four volumes, with the most recent - Building People: Sunday Emails From A Chairman - now out.PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
PUBLISHED
SEP 25, 2016, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOKTWITTER

Staff of Changi Airport Group and Surbana Jurong have much to glean from e-mails that their head honcho sends on Sundays to share his reflections
Wong Siew Ying

Getting a note from the boss every few weeks, extolling the virtue of pragmatism or sharing his observations on a Mount Fuji climb, is pretty rare for most employees but it has been a regular occurrence for two firms in Singapore.

Former CapitaLand chief executive Liew Mun Leong started penning his "Sunday e-mails" back in 1998, initially for staff at the real estate giant and now at the firms he chairs - Changi Airport Group and Surbana Jurong.

A collection of these e-mails has been published over four volumes, with the most recent - Building People: Sunday Emails From A Chairman - now out.

Mr Liew, 70, told The Sunday Times: "I had embarked on a new hobby of writing e-mails as a means of reaching out to my colleagues and staff...

"It is a tool to influence their thinking, to curate their corporate values, their sense of responsibility to the company and to society."

The communication goes both ways and staff are welcome to offer feedback.

Mr Liew, who left CapitaLand in 2012, believes successful leaders must be good communicators, which is why he continues to send Sunday e-mails to staff at Changi Airport Group and Surbana Jurong.

These notes are written in his characteristically candid and casual style, containing anecdotes, personal reflection and a good handful of quotable quotes.
In an e-mail titled Pragmatism In Business, Mr Liew urged the management not to be emotionally attached to the buildings they have acquired or built. "
ROE is returns on equity, not returns on emotion."

He also shared the key ingredients of his career success - the 5Ps, which stand for paranoia, perseverance, perfectionism, passion and pragmatism.

"Being paranoid forces me to plan ahead to deal with even the most remotely possible adversity... the consequence of not doing so may be regretful and unforgiving," Mr Liew, a trained engineer, wrote in another note.

He spends four to five hours on a Sunday afternoon crafting the e-mails, drawing inspiration from his travels, business dealings and observations.

MANAGEMENT STYLE

Whether in his previous role as a chief executive or as a chairman now, Mr Liew takes a hands-on approach in overseeing the companies, be it in the hiring of senior staff or assessing an acquisition target.

"I am involved very much in interviewing senior people, for example, a vice-president or senior vice-president. I have the vetting right... I do turn down candidates who are recommended by management."

The topic of talent development and having the right core values takes up an entire chapter in his new book.

Mr Liew emphasises the importance of "eyeballing" candidates and asking them questions about their personal and education background to determine their aptitudes, attitudes and interests. For senior appointments, he would even personally run reference checks on a candidate's past performance by speaking to former employers.

Having the right troops is a key consideration in driving corporate growth but, beyond talent, being committed is also critical.

"They may have talent, but they can stay with you for two years and leave... I am a firm believer of building a lasting organisation. And an organisation can last only when people last," he said.

SURBANA JURONG

As chairman of urban-planning consultancy Surbana Jurong, Mr Liew aims to build the firm into Asia's consultancy powerhouse on the back of the region's growing needs in infrastructure.

The firm announced last month that it had acquired Australian-based SMEC Holdings for $400 million, a move that takes the consultancy's workforce to 10,000 staff members in 40 countries.

Surbana has also been appointed to draw up a masterplan to develop Chongqing into western China's logistics hub. This is part of the third bilateral project - Chongqing Connectivity Initiative - between Singapore and China.

Apart from China, the company is involved in more than 40 projects in fast-emerging Myanmar, including masterplanning, project management and engineering design.

Mr Liew is bullish about urbanisation and infrastructure prospects in China, Africa and South-east Asia, and he is not overly concerned about whether the firm has the bandwidth to handle the increasing workload.

"I have one business philosophy and that is 'I am not worried about not enough people, I am worried about not enough business'.
"You get me the business, I will find the people to do it," he said.

There is potential for more mergers and acquisitions ahead as Surbana Jurong seeks to grow its capabilities in underground development and environmental engineering. Mr Liew noted that these are areas in which European companies have an edge.

CHANGI AIRPORT GROUP

It is apt to say that Mr Liew's work at Changi Airport Group has come full circle. He was appointed to the board in June 2009 but his involvement with the world-class air hub had begun much earlier.

More than 40 years ago, he had requested a transfer to the Public Works Department to learn to be an airport engineer - a move that had him involved in the construction of Changi Airport in 1975.

Today, it is one of the world's busiest international airports, handling more than 55.4 million passenger movements last year and serving 100 airlines flying to more than 320 cities.

"Aviation is always competitive, that is the order of the game... But I think we have performed well... we have won over 500 awards," Mr Liew noted.

With increasing competition from Middle Eastern airlines and airports for the European market, he said Changi Airport can focus its strategies on capturing a larger share of the pie in Asia.

"We are positive that the Asian aviation business is going to be very big. Look at China, for instance... Its outbound this year is already 140 million people. It was looking at 100 million outbound in the year 2020. But now in 2016, it has already outgrown that number."

Mr Liew's enthusiasm about growing Surbana Jurong and Changi Airport Group is unlikely to wane with age. When asked if he would retire at some point, he quipped: "I don't retire, I die!"

He added: "Society has invested so much in you in terms of the experience that you have and to say just because you reach a certain age, you fall off the cliff into nothingness - I think that is a silly thing."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The terminals, he says, are like his children. "Every child is delivered on time, brought up well and has brains.""
Sadly, the same cannot be said of his own real child Karl.

Premium
It Changed My Life
It Changed My Life: I always hire people who are better than me, says Changi Airport Group chairman Liew Mun Leong
2 of 4
dummy.gif

Mr Liew Mun Leong at his office in Changi Airport. In the background is a portrait of Singapore's founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, painted by French artist Jean-Pierre Blanchard.

Mr Liew Mun Leong at his office in Changi Airport. In the background is a portrait of Singapore's founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, painted by French artist Jean-Pierre Blanchard.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
PUBLISHED
FEB 3, 2019, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOKTWITTER

Without good staff, Changi Airport Group chairman says he wouldn't have come so far
Wong Kim Hoh
Deputy Life Editor

In 2007, Mr Liew Mun Leong - then chief executive of CapitaLand - received a staggering $20.52 million bonus for helping the property developer achieve a record profit of $2.76 billion that year.

He is a wealthy man, but wealth, he says, means nothing to him.

"I've settled my life, my children's lives and I've also looked at the future and there's nothing I need that I cannot afford," says the 72-year-old who has three children and seven grandchildren.

Now the chairman of the Changi Airport Group (CAG), he says he is contented with his home (a landed property in Chancery Lane) and his car (a BMW 7 series). He no longer buys expensive timepieces and now wears an Apple watch.

In fact, his private banker has told him he can live comfortably from the interest on his wealth.

"But I don't want to work on my money. I want to work on my grey matter and if possible, grow it," he says with a chuckle.

It explains why he still holds not one, but several jobs. Besides CAG, which spearheads airport development, he is chairman of Surbana Jurong, a consultancy in urban and infrastructure development.

He sits on several boards and is also provost's chair and professor (practice) on pro bono service at the National University of Singapore (NUS) Business School, Faculty of Engineering and the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy.

"Since stepping down from CapitaLand in 2013, I've been even busier. But I enjoy it," he says. "When you're dying on your bed, you'll ask yourself: 'Are you satisfied, is it worth it, have you done enough, have you lived a full life?'

"I have a full life, but I still want to continue," he declares.
  • st_20190203_khliew_4598772.jpg

• Sunday  Em @ ils  From A Chairman, published by Straits Times Press, is priced at $29.90 and available at all major bookstores. Royalties from the sale of the book will be donated to Temasek Foundation Nurtures to support programmes on education and professional development.
One of the rare few to have made a mark in both spheres, Mr Liew spent 22 years in government service and has clocked 26 years in the private sector.
The fifth of six children, his beginnings were humble.

His father was a fitter, and his mother, a housewife. "Two of my older brothers died from food poisoning during the war," he says.

His parents changed his middle name from Kok to Mun so that the Grim Reaper would not come for him. "To break the curse, I also had to address my father as 'Ah Sook' and my mother as 'Ah Dai'," he says, using the Cantonese words for "uncle" and "elder".

His home, growing up, was a pre-war terraced house in Jalan Besar shared with five other families.

"Each family had only one room and there were seven of us: my parents, my three siblings and me, and an adoptive uncle."

Mr Liew slept in a collapsible canvas bed under a dim light in the corridor. "It was quite comfortable, but it had bed bugs. Every Sunday, I had to pour boiling water on the bed joints to kill them," he says.

Because of his success in the corporate world, people often assume, much to his irritation, that he attended well-known schools like Anglo-Chinese or Raffles Institution.

"I didn't. I went to gangster-infested schools," says the former student of May North Primary and Queenstown Technical Secondary.

In 1959, he had to retake his Primary School Leaving Examination because of an exam leak. He failed.

That earned him a major thrashing from his mother, who made him kneel under the table next to the altar of Tua Pek Gong, a deity worshipped in many Taoist households.

The punishment was harsh because the failure meant Mr Liew could not continue his education in a secondary school.

Nobody knew what to do until a fellow classmate - who also failed the exam - suggested that they go back to May North and ask to be re-admitted.

"So we repeated our Primary 6. I was top boy that year; he was second. The incident made me develop a fear of failure. I never failed again in school after that."
His decision to study engineering - he was from the then University of Singapore's first batch of civil engineering graduates - was influenced by his father, who worked under an engineer he idolised.

In this Money FM podcast, Michelle Martin speaks to the chairman of Changi Airport Group and Surbana Jurong - Liew Mun Leong - on his new book Sunday Emails From A Chairman.

"He said: 'If you can't become an engineer, at least get a job under a fan'," he says, explaining that his father wanted him to have a white-collar job.

He was the first among his classmates to land a job at the National Iron and Steel Mills when he graduated in 1970. But barely half a year later, he was called up for national service. It changed his life.

He was recruited into Mindef, where he met the likes of the late Dr Goh Keng Swee, former deputy prime minister and one of Singapore's founding fathers.

Mindef's first civil engineer, he was tasked with developing and building military camps and infrastructure. It was a big job, one which awakened his latent leadership instincts.

From Dr Goh and a few other mentors, he learnt the art of "disregarding the rules and getting things done". "We were trained to make decisions by being empowered. We could call the shots, as long as we were not corrupt and did not do things for our own interest."

He took this philosophy with him when he went to the Public Works Department (PWD) in the mid-1970s, where he was involved in the building of Changi Airport Terminals 1 and 2 from day one.

"I don't circumvent rules; I break ground," he says proudly as he starts telling stories of how he beat bureaucracy to get things done.

When his requests for an electric typewriter and a vehicle to transport his staff to lunch (Changi then was remote and undeveloped) were not approved, he listed their provision as requirements for contractors bidding for tenders.

"We were paying for the contracts and the typewriter and vehicle were not owned by us. The contractors owned them and took them back when they were done," he says with a grin.

In many ways, he says his career has been a case of opportunity and chance. "How many engineers get the opportunity to build airports? They get to build schools, hospitals and shopping malls. But airports?"

After more than two decades in the public sector, including a stint at the Singapore Institute of Standards and Industrial Research, he took up the offer to steer engineering and construction firm L&M Investments.

He shook things up, doubled its share price and then left to become president of Pidemco Land in 1996. Four years later, when CapitaLand was born from a merger between Pidemco Land and DBS Land, he became its head honcho.

Those were turbulent times.

"CapitaLand went through a whole series of crises: the burst of the dot.com bubble, 9/11, the Bali bombings, Sars... For five or six years, it was one crisis after another," he says.

"It was tense and frightening. During one meeting with my people, I nearly cried. I said: 'It can't be that our share price has gone below $1. You're all clever people. What's happening?'

"It was a rallying call and we had to pull together and fight. I'm proud of the fact that none of us had real estate in our blood. We were engineers and economists, but we were good thinkers and operators," says Mr Liew.

The company more than pulled through.

For several years after that, net profit for CapitaLand - the first to introduce real estate investment trusts (Reits) to the local market in 2001 - was more than $1 billion.
Working with good people is something he emphasises repeatedly. "My philosophy has always been to hire whoever is better than me. If not, I wouldn't have come so far," he says, adding that he personally picks every member of his management bench.

Good staff and support from shareholders allow him to exercise what is crucial: courageous leadership. He made several bold moves. In 2010, in the aftermath of the global financial crisis, CapitaLand bought seven properties in China for $2.2 billion from Orient Overseas International, controlled by the family of former Hong Kong Chief Executive Tung Chee Hwa.

CapitaLand started with a group market cap of $8.9 billion.

"When I stepped down in 2013, it was $44.5 billion," he says. "It means we created $35 billion over 12 years."

Mr Liew also believes in rewarding good staff and stretching a hand to help them if they need it.

"You must ask this question: Why should people follow you? Do you have a future?"

Once, he asked his accountant to do a headcount of the number of staff who had become millionaires on paper because of CapitaLand's share price and options. "Six hundred; I'm very proud of that," he says.

However, over his 12 years at CapitaLand, he has also fired seven chief executives. "I handled them personally, I didn't leave it to my HR. I told them they might have a better future elsewhere. If you are frank and have no malice, I believe nobody will hold a grudge against you."

Leadership and talent development are topics he addresses often in lengthy e-mails he writes on Sundays to staff, a practice he started 20 years ago.

The Straits Times Press recently compiled and published Sunday Em @ ils From A Chairman, comprising nearly 30 of these messages written between 2016 and 2018. The book is the fifth of his Sunday Em @ ils series.

The topics run the gamut from Changi Airport to hawker food to China's Belt and Road Initiative.

alfchern-pixkimhoh-2974.jpg

Mr Liew, who once harboured journalistic ambitions, says: "With one press of the button, I can send my thoughts and reflections to my staff. Because it's in writing, I can express myself clearly."

He averages about 20 e-mails a year, each of which can take up to five hours to write.

"While some of my staff say thank you, I'm sure not all read them because they can be quite long-winded," says the corporate leader who delivers lectures - pro bono - to entrepreneurs, engineers and other professionals at NUS.

He has also heard at least one staff member in Australia finding it a waste of time.

"But it doesn't stop me. I do it on Sundays and am not using office time. I'm actually amazed I've done it for so long. If my e-mails were a son, he'd be doing his national service now," adds Mr Liew, who is now working on a book about his experience in the private and public sectors.

His proudest achievement remains Changi Airport, which handles more than 65 million passengers annually and has won more than 500 awards.

He built its first runway in 1975, and now, he's beavering away over T5, which is bigger than T1, T2 and T3 combined, and is slated to open around 2030. The terminals, he says, are like his children.

"Every child is delivered on time, brought up well and has brains."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wonder how Karl's wife Heather Lim Mei Ern is feeling about her husband's cross-dressing.
1599197488664.png

CapitaLand CEO Acquires Interlace Penthouse
• June 7, 2010

Capitaland President and CEO Liew Mun Leong, along with his son and daughter-in-law, have acquired two units at The Interlace project located in Depot Road / Alexandra Road for $6.2 million.

Mr. Liew paid nearly $3.74 million or $1,092 psf for a 3,423-sq-ft penthouse on the 23rd floor.

His son and daughter in law, Karl and Heather Lim Mei Ern, also purchased a four-room unit on the 16th floor for nearly $2.47 million or about $996 psf.

The company announced in a statutory filing that its audit committee has both reviewed and approved the proposed sales. It is satisfied that the number and terms of the proposed sales are reasonable and fair.

The committee, with CapitaLand’s board, are satisfied that the transactions will not affect the company’s interests and its minority shareholders. Mr. Liew abstained from the board’s review and approval of the transactions.

The property giant first started selling the 99-year leasehold project at the former Gillman Heights site in September 2009. Currently, CapitaLand has found about 500 buyers for the 590 units released.

The leasehold project has a total of 1,040 units, with price tags ranging from $850 psf to $1,300 psf.

The unique design of The Interlace features 31 apartment blocks – each six-storeys high – which are piled in a hexagonal arrangement to appear as eight large-scale courtyards.

These interlocking blocks resemble a “vertical village” with cascading sky gardens and both public and private roof terraces.

The company is jointly developing the project with Hotel Properties and another partner.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, over his 12 years at CapitaLand, he has also fired seven chief executives. "I handled them personally, I didn't leave it to my HR. I told them they might have a better future elsewhere. If you are frank and have no malice, I believe nobody will hold a grudge against you."

That actually exposed his weakness in hiring the right candidates for the job. Fired 7 CEOs in 12 years... lol

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
what is it about rich people's kids?
too much fucking free time? or not enough national service?
all kinds of kinky stuff, cheebye, make them serve 5 years NS to wake up their ideas