• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Let's get wealthier sinkies to help the poor: BG Tan

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's get wealthier folk to help less well-off: BG Tan
By Yasmine Yahya
ST_IMAGES_TAN_CHUAN_JIN.jpg

THE long-term solution to helping lower-income groups could lie in encouraging residents and students from wealthier neighbourhoods to volunteer in less-privileged areas.

Brigadier-General (NS) Tan Chuan- Jin, a new PAP candidate in Marine Parade GRC, said this is one of the ideas he has for the Kampung Ubi-Kembangan ward, where he is a prospective MP.

Speaking at the end of a walkabout at Chai Chee market, he noted that residents in the Kampung Ubi-Kembangan ward are from a range of income groups.

Many in Kembangan, for instance, live in landed private estates, while a significant number of one- to three-room rental flats are in nearby Chai Chee.

'Let's see what we can do... whether the community can contribute time, just an afternoon a week, to spend time with kids, looking after them. I think it's helpful to take them out of their environment,' he said.

'You can provide some sort of tuition or activity which they otherwise would not have got from their families. Those are key things. Building a nation really starts from the grassroots - family by family, floor by floor, block by block.'

BG Tan also hopes to deepen the partnership that the community has with schools, which have their Community Involvement Programmes.

'Helping the lower-income groups and less privileged is not just about helping them. It's (also) about helping students grow. I want to make sure those programmes are not just about clocking up the hours, but (about) fulfilling the intent of it,' he said.

BG Tan was accompanied on the walkabout by Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, who said he was very happy the former army general is on his team.

'From the way he interacts with people and from his approach to service in the ward, I can say the Singapore Armed Forces is also a good training ground for political leaders,' Mr Goh said.

Mr Goh, who noted that campaigning has not officially begun, declined to comment on the opposition's strategy for Marine Parade GRC, but said that as a former prime minister and as Senior Minister, he would be accountable for policies that he implemented.

Sleepless

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah right! Why not the 5 of you including Goh Joke Tong n Tin Stomper take the first step and lead by example?

Pledge to give up your MP allowance and GCT's salary and put it into a fund to help the poor of Marine Parade GRC. Or at the very least, give up your bonuses!

Don't just talk and push other people to help. Can you walk the walk? At the very least, we'll know you're not here for the money.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
the cabinet is among the highest paid in our tiny island, i don't see them going about distributing their wealth. this BG is emitting gas from all pores. their flawed system widened the income gap, impoverized many families.

calling on charities is a stupid & unsustainable solution. if that's the best idea they an conjure, we can transfer primates from the zoo, into parliament.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did he check with Vivien on the issue before releasing his opinion? Vivian will whack him by replying, "you want to burn my pocket is it?"

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Did he check with Vivien on the issue before releasing his opinion? Vivian will whack him by replying, "you want to burn my pocket is it?"

Half Breed ah gua will whack him for making him eat at hawker centres if he has to help the poor with his own money

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vivien star is dimmed from the YOG. BG Tan have more potential. By showing his humane side, he positions himself to be the likely successor to the MCYS portfolio. Military trained, he know how to conduct a flanking assault.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then re-institute Estate Duty and do it retroactively so that amazingly rich Singaporeans who died recently, such as the Gecko and Ng Teng Fong and their estates can pay taxes to hepl the poor instead of increasing the GST to help the poor.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm all for it! Let the millionaire ministers take the lead!:biggrin::biggrin:

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. bro, first commandment: you die your biz mah!
3. you want help: gst is suffice leh.
4. this new sheep must be joking, clueless and kosong ground sentiments.
5. landed helping pigeon-holed, hahaha!
6. that will be the day.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vivien star is dimmed from the YOG. BG Tan have more potential. By showing his humane side, he positions himself to be the likely successor to the MCYS portfolio. Military trained, he know how to conduct a flanking assault.
he's a guards occifer... he's well trained in rear penetration

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Let's get wealthier folk to help less well-off: BG Tan
By Yasmine Yahya

What a great idea.. collect gazillions of dollars in taxes and then pass the buck when it comes to looking after the poor.

This is brilliant. Why didn't OZ and NZ think of it first!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many in Kembangan, for instance, live in landed private estates, while a significant number of one- to three-room rental flats are in nearby Chai Chee.

'Let's see what we can do... whether the community can contribute time, just an afternoon a week, to spend time with kids, looking after them. I think it's helpful to take them out of their environment,' he said.

'You can provide some sort of tuition or activity which they otherwise would not have got from their families. Those are key things. Building a nation really starts from the grassroots - family by family, floor by floor, block by block.'

Is this the new plan? Get citizens to volunteer? But what about the 2% GST that was implemented 5 years ago? Where did all that money go to?

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal

How about Teo Ser Luck?

Hehehe

Wasn't he involved in YOG too?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Is this the new plan? Get citizens to volunteer? But what about the 2% GST that was implemented 5 years ago? Where did all that money go to?

8 months bonus..... 40% pay rise..... YOG blow out....... etc. The money has to come from somewhere.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BG Tan and many in the PAP plus affiliates qualify as HNWI. Please start a fund, as leaders of this place. 1000 of you donating 500K each every year, we get 500 million. We do a 1 to 1 matching from the govt., we get 1 billion. We make it into a fund and leverage 10 times, we get 10 billion. This is a logical progression from this suggestion. Returns from the investment will go into the actual fund that will be spent on poor will the fight poverty fund will continue as an investment instrument. How? Losses cannot take from the disbursement fund. If HNWI know how to invest, invest for a good cause then. Since the money come out, might as well make more money and share it fairly as such. If Gini can drop to 0.3, fund purpose can be reconverted. How? My talk better right? Cause and desired effect easy to see right?

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
stupid suggestion..

you MIW get paid in millions and dont even do that, you want me to give tuition for free???
are you going to pay me for doing that ???

Let's see what we can do... whether the community can contribute time, just an afternoon a week, to spend time with kids, looking after them. I think it's helpful to take them out of their environment,' he said.

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
He hit the nail on the cock head !
High class Ah Nehs colluding in Marine Parade and East Coast :biggrin:

any place which lots of FT ah nehs congregate cannot be known as high class anymore. their stench will bring down the value of the place drastically.

insomia23

Alfrescian
Loyal
i love that Goh JOKE tong. nice one and tin STOMPER. hahaha any nick for this sia lan tan?

Yeah right! Why not the 5 of you including Goh Joke Tong n Tin Stomper take the first step and lead by example?

Pledge to give up your MP allowance and GCT's salary and put it into a fund to help the poor of Marine Parade GRC. Or at the very least, give up your bonuses!

Don't just talk and push other people to help. Can you walk the walk? At the very least, we'll know you're not here for the money.